Author Topic: Dropping bombs from bomb bay inverted  (Read 585 times)

Offline Drane

• Nickel Member
Dropping bombs from bomb bay inverted
« on: December 13, 2016, 07:07:36 AM »
Short film demonstrating this.
92 Squadron RAF - Aut pugna aut morere - 'Either fight or die'

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Re: Dropping bombs from bomb bay inverted
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 10:06:53 AM »
There is an official technique for dropping bombs like this called "over-the-shoulder." I don't know that the technique was adopted by A20 pilots, but I see no reason that it could not be.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 10:22:56 AM by Chalenge »
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Drane

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2016, 05:00:26 AM »
There is an official technique for dropping bombs like this called "over-the-shoulder." I don't know that the technique was adopted by A20 pilots, but I see no reason that it could not be.

It was one of the ways we adopted to deliver nuclear bombs from under radar at tree top level.

I don't think they really perfected it until engineers were able to program computers to control the autopilot.

This film was just to demonstrate bombs could be released this way. The A20 just happened to be easiest plane for me to use.
92 Squadron RAF - Aut pugna aut morere - 'Either fight or die'

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2016, 03:34:58 AM »
The A-20 shouldn't be capable of that kind of bomb maneuver.  It couldn't "toss" bombs like that in real life, especially with the limits on maneuverability that was placed on it.  You can also do it in the P-38.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song