Author Topic: AH3 Bifocals for old Geezers like ChiLLi  (Read 410 times)

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
AH3 Bifocals for old Geezers like ChiLLi
« on: January 20, 2017, 02:47:03 PM »
Idea:  Use target lock system to replace the icon tag below a certain distance (~600 -800 yds) with a thin (colored) line silhouette.

Function:  Serves the same purpose of the red tag icon, but is less of a distraction in the gunsight, and follows with the assumption that more clues (not less) would be available for tracking closer objects ~ 600 yds.

Discussion:  Observation of the Bf110 icon flaw before it was patched, highlighted how quickly aircraft position is lost, even at close contact.  In the bug case, aircraft appeared to either disappear or completely fade into their surroundings at less than 600 yds.  Contrary to "logic"  :headscratch: when the red tag disappeared the eyes were tricked because they were following the tag and not the object.

Additional Perk:  An option to use white or black silhouette lines would eliminate the disadvantages suffered due to color blindness.

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
Re: AH3 Bifocals for old Geezers like ChiLLi
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 03:40:32 PM »
Yes, being partially color-blind here, and similar to Dawger's suggestion I like it!   :aok

....and to ealaborate a bit, sometimes I can see the icon clearly but cannot see the plane clearly enough even though I'm in range, and find myself guessing at the planes's exact location for aiming.  Not sure if this happens with folks with normal color vision too?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 03:45:20 PM by DaddyAce »

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 07:26:06 PM »
How about the ability to have no icon for just the plane that is locked? Plane has icon, lock,icon goes away, unlock, icon comes back. In the meantime all the other aircraft still have icons.
Pies not kicks.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 01:56:53 PM »
Yes pembquist, that was a portion of my wish also.  There currently is a target lock system that puts a box around the icon tag.  It is initiated by the player and only the plane directly in front of the target has that box "highlight".  I was hoping that part of the wish would not have to be completely re written from scratch, replacing the boxed icon tag with silhouette (but I really don't know if that is more or less complicated for the coader).

Also, even I could imagine that just drawing a single line outline, is a complicated task in itself (maybe not so much for the talented staff here).  It is just one of those things that I am wishing that others including HTC could find some benefit from the idea.  I don't sweat the specifics, in as much that HTC usually goes the step beyond, if it is inline with his vision for his product (no pun intended).

DaddyAce, I do not have the color blind gene, but have enough sight loss to appreciate anyone's effort to improve this gaming experience for all involved.  Especially, if it does not unnecessarily impact others' experience.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 12:51:46 PM »
Target lock system switch to "halo" instead of boxed icon, is only enabled on a single object (aircraft) and is only visible by player choice.

How is this gravely any different from the current target lock system?

By simply removing the icon text, we have increased the focus of eyes on the actual target.

Isn't that more of a reflection of real world experience?

In a computer simulation "gaming" environment, new players often have experience from other simulations, and have expectations of certain criteria.

Isn't this why the default FOV was set to something closer to cockpit views found in other products?

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2017, 06:48:10 PM »
You know if someone helps you identify a player, you can abuse target lock to harass that player all night. Especially if you can always catch them low for some unknown reason.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Owlblink

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2017, 08:04:02 PM »
I've flown in another WWII simulator that used a circular range detection mechanic that would shrink its visible circumference as one approached an aircraft. Initially, a player would have to look in a direction for a moment for the icon to change from grey to red (if they are close enough) and it would give more plane detail as one got closer to the aerocraft (as AH does).

I would have to see an example of highlighting to honestly support it. I hear you on your points but I still feel like it takes away from a player to need to learn looking for the plane's shape.

Some players toggle icons off if they are in a 1v1 if it distracts them. I'm able to ignore it once I am close enough.
Kommando Nowotny FSO
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 01:58:47 PM »
OwlBlink,

I agree, that the details of how something like this would look is where it will either win or lose support. 

In my recent review of other posts that commented on the lack of 3D representation (I mean it is nicely done, but it is still a 2D representation) I have come to the conclusion that a change in the power (+/-) in a layer or two of the plane skin, when target locked, the contrast improvement would be enough that the aircraft would stand out and still look like the original plane.