Author Topic: How to get the range on targets with CV guns and Shore Batteries  (Read 1285 times)

Offline 1ijac

• Silver Member
How to get the range on targets with CV guns and Shore Batteries
« on: February 22, 2017, 02:24:14 PM »
So many times while I am shooting at an enemy CV from my CV, players in other guns will ask: "What is the range?".  I'll post here what I do that I find successful when using the 8", 5" and shore battery guns.

There are 3 modes of choice in these guns:

1. Default ( Q Key ) = no grid in sight.

2. Land mode ( shift+Q ) = using map on clipboard to designate where your rounds will land and a yellow grid in sight.

3. Sea mode ( cntrl+Q ) = common sight for visually firing at another CV, pt boat, ect..

Shore Battery, 8" and 5" firing on enemy ships (use Sea mode cntrl+Q):

I will aim the gun at the enemy ship, then hit (cntrl+Q), then move my mouse to find the Yellow range grid in the sight.  Using the W,S,A and D keys, I will bring the bottom of the vertical yellow grid lines to the waterline of the ship I am shooting at.  Depending on the distance and path of the target ship, you need to lead the target somewhat using the yellow grid graduations each time using the W,S,A and D keys to keep your range.  Practice will give you a good feel as to how much lead you need to make and missed shots will allow you to make slight adjustments to the range.  The 5" guns fire both AA (proximity fuse flak) and HE (high explosive) rounds.  You can toggle between them using the backspace key.  I use the HE rounds to damage objects and the AA rounds to shoot at enemy planes.  Distances over 13.5K in the 5" gun are tough to hit.  Note that Sea mode grid does not seem to function properly less than a distance of 3.5 or so the default mode (Q key) is used in closer ranges.

8" and 5" guns firing on land based objects, gv and pt boat spawns (use Land mode = shift+Q):

I first hit (shift+Q), then bring up my clipboard map, left click and hold on my target on map, then use the (insert key) to zoom in on the target. I also use the [] keys to zoom in even more.  Once zoomed in, I let off the left click and left click again on the target to refine my target range.  Your target will move on the map because the CV is in motion.  You can keep the map up or close it.  If you close it, you will need to use the delete key to zoom the map back out to see the target on the map again and repeat the procedures mentioned before.  If I am close to the target then I usually close the clipboard and use the yellow grid to aim (using the W,S,A and D keys to make fine adjustments).  In land mode, your target range will automatically adjust while your CV is moving, so slight adjustments are all that is needed.  If targeting a Shore battery, once I hit it, I usually just keep firing without any adjustments because the range is being auto adjusted. I might need to make some fine movements right or left with the A or D keys depending on where the rounds hit.  If firing on a base, you can use the W,S,A and D keys to move to different targets without left clicking on the map again.  Again, I fire HE rounds from the 5" to kill ground objects and anything over 13.5k in distance I find hard to hit with the 5" gun..  You can have some fun using AA rounds on a base, town or enemy CV to catch some planes flying low or taking off from those targets.  If shooting at pt or gv spawns, I zoom in as mentioned and left click on the tip of the arrow and the range auto adjusts to the moving CV in land mode.

Shooting at approaching planes in the CV 5" guns:

I use the AA rounds(default) in the 5" guns.  Lead your target with the thought that it takes time for the round to get up to the altitude the approaching plane is at.  The higher the plane is, the greater the lead will be.  Only practice will help you with this.

The before mentioned is what I find an effective use of the guns.  There may be other methods used by players.  Practice with my suggestions and have a great time.  I hope you find these tips helpful.

:salute   one-eye jac

« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 02:36:40 PM by 1ijac »
"One-Eye"

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: How to get the range on targets with CV guns and Shore Batteries
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 02:57:38 PM »
You can shift the range and rounds counter HUD closer to the center of your screen so you don't have to look all over the place for it. While in the gun just go into GUI which will darken those boxes then drag them with your mouse.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 10:02:10 AM »
Why are there two ranges in the 8 inch gunsight display?
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline 1ijac

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 10:19:26 AM »
Kong.

I use the White grid that moves around with my mouse to look around and to place on the target.  Then I use the W,S,A and D keys to move the yellow grid to that position sometimes.  I'm usually looking at the target with the yellow grid, because when I hit (cntrl+Q) I have the gun pointed at the target.  Again, I use the white grid to look around and at times you could use it to extend the yellow grid to the left or right when you are leading the ship.  Not sure of the intended purpose, but that is what I use it for.  Most of the time, I will eyeball some distance from the "10" mark on the yellow grid to lead a moving ship target.  I find this lead off the yellow grid most of the time when I'm in a shore battery or ship gun and the targets are moving left or right and at a further distance. 
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 11:33:30 AM by 1ijac »
"One-Eye"

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 11:46:58 AM »
Nicely done 1ijac.

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 11:54:52 AM »
I meant the two range values.  Guessing one is the range at which the shell will strike, but not sure why there are two values.
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline 1ijac

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 08:52:26 PM »
I asked HiTech and he said that second value in yards is the distance from the last firing location when in Land and sea mode.
"One-Eye"