Author Topic: Make the TA Free  (Read 2672 times)

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
Make the TA Free
« on: May 03, 2017, 02:11:30 PM »
The disposition of the free online arenas makes no sense to me. The DA and the WWI arena are free to play. Both of these arenas are however 'guns hot' meaning you can get kills and should you so wish play a limited version of AH for free, forever. I might observe they are also not working, since I hear they are often empty. Bad advert for the game surely? The DA for instance one can not fly out of alone so 2 players have to simultaneously enter for it to become usable.

Would it not make more sense to make the Training Arena free. There are no kills or effective damage, trainers are in theory available and it states something like 'learn to fly in a combat-free environment'? Might this encourage new players to spend all the time they need there to develop some basic ACM and also become enthusiastic about getting kills in the 'guns hot' arenas?

Additionally returning players might spend some time in there and be willing to help newer players while knocking their own rust off.

Win-win situation?

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline AAIK

• Nickel Member
Re: Make the TA Free
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 03:10:15 PM »
Yes, I think so too.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 03:12:22 PM »
You guys volunteering to staff it?

Offline ONTOS

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 03:38:16 PM »
+1

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 04:33:20 PM »

An arena with at least one person in it attracts others. I always found the TA to be a good place to purely focus on flying. Never seen any smack talk, insults or negativity in there.

It is illogical not to have the Training Arena free while the DA and WWI arenas are, from a newcomer's perspective.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 03:59:48 PM »
The training arena is already available for free offline or as a custom arena.

My question was about the one person waiting in there in case somebody shows up.  Not a lot of volunteers for that.

I don't see making an appointment for training to be an excessive commitment and logically it's more efficient.

In my opinion it's also logical for training to be a perk for subscribers that's also offered free to everyone for their two week free trial, as well as the free advice everyone gets on the BB.

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2017, 04:37:53 PM »
I think the downside to having the training arena free would be the occasional lobster mitten who has zero sense of etiquette and annoys people. On the other hand it would allow a space for somebody to try out the game with other players without just getting hammered into the ground which is what I would expect to have happen to somebody new to a combat flight sim. I'm sure hitec has his reasons. What I am a little surprised by is that the cage match arena is empty most always. I don't know how hard it would be but if it could have death matches with robots until you have at least two players it might help to get people in there, especially the free customers who then might find themselves getting sucked in and ponying up 15 dollars. I don't know how universal it is but I don't go there unless I see somebody is there. Hanging out by yourself is about like watching a status bar on a download.
Pies not kicks.

Offline puller

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2017, 07:01:02 PM »

Give an inch...Want a mile
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
CO   Anti-Horde

Offline AAIK

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2017, 07:52:12 PM »
The reality is that the MA is the bread and butter of HTC's design.

It wouldn't effect them in any way if they made all of the other arenas free (including event arenas).

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2017, 09:29:39 PM »
Know a few players that only play fso, special events

Semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2017, 12:25:51 AM »
The training arena is already available for free offline or as a custom arena.

The significant difference being that you can only fly there alone or know about the non-official and temporary existence.

My question was about the one person waiting in there in case somebody shows up.  Not a lot of volunteers for that.

Why would anyone be 'waiting' in there? Flying in there would equally do the job. Of course we could ask Cybro...

I don't see making an appointment for training to be an excessive commitment and logically it's more efficient.

I'm sorry you misunderstand. This wish was not to make the Trainer's job easier or more efficient.

Give an inch...Want a mile

There are already three inches given with the 'capture the sheep', 'WWI Arena' and 'DA'. Apparently they are mostly empty. Have they impressed enough or gotten anyone hooked enough on ACM to subscribe?

The present disposition of free arenas is confusing and counterproductive. If they are mostly empty and competitive when they're not then what should a new player infer from that? 'I should definitely buy a subscription'?

A free TA would likely have a few experienced players casually knocking rust off or working on their technique alone or with a friend. Even if they could join a plane, have a little try or be told how to get training it is win-win over the status quo.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2017, 05:33:07 AM »

I'm sorry you misunderstand. This wish was not to make the Trainer's job easier or more efficient.

My point was that it's easier and more efficient for the new player seeking help.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2017, 08:17:26 AM »
My point was that it's easier and more efficient for the new player seeking help.

I'm merely suggesting a free, obvious, top layer (i.e. live) TA with at least the odd player hanging out there might encourage more to reach that point and take advantage of returning, practicing or floating players. Also good for them.

Right now if you go to the Homepage, Support, Help (for instance) there's still no mention of the TA nor that there are dedicated trainers nor that it's possible to make an appointment with one. Even under 'getting started'.

A 'live arena' has to be more attractive than even the most intuitive webpage (which we don't have either).

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2017, 08:46:48 AM »
I stop by anytime I see players in the TA, if theres a trainer or trainers already in there I leave. If there isnt one and it isnt a squad doing training, I ask if they need help. Find it hard to believe Im alone in this habit.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2017, 12:28:28 PM »
It makes some sense, the logic you're using does flow.

I'm not sure how much it would help though.  How many people actually want to sit down and go through everything with a trainer?  I know for myself on a new game I want to get in and start playing, not go through much tutorial/learning.  Considering what I've seen from most people in games, I do not believe that I'm in the minority.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11