Author Topic: Stutters and Micro-Freezes -- this MIGHT Help!  (Read 822 times)

Offline Rodent57

• AH Training Corps
  • Nickel Member
Stutters and Micro-Freezes -- this MIGHT Help!
« on: January 25, 2018, 05:32:23 PM »
If you look in the Hardware Software forum, you will see a fairly new thread titled "Processes".  I encourage you to go there after reading through this one (I'll keep it short).

In a discussion with Skuzzy, I discovered that NO ONE has been complaining about micro-freezes or stutters (using ver Dx9).   Having seen many folks talking about it on Vox 200, I disagreed.   Then I realized that talking about it on Vox 200 isn't really making the HTC folks aware of issues that we may be having...so +1 to Skuzzy (If you are seeing issues, please write them up).

In follow-on discussions, Skuzzy suggested that I check the number of processes that my computer is running (citing that Windows 7 shouldn't be running more than around 40 processes).  My system was running 97 processes.  Skuzzy suggested that I go process by process through the list and turn off the ones that are not required in an effort to figure out what is causing the stutters/micro-freezes.  He also offered that I could Google each one to figure out if it was critical.

Now, Rodent57 doing things inside a computer  :headscratch: is roughly as good a plan as a pig looking at a wrist watch...but I gave it my best.  Here is what I've learned:

1) If you have other games (IE: ORIGIN for Battlefield1, or WOW) running, you can kill them with no degradation to your system.  There are LOTS of other processes running in there that you can also shut down to test.   Of course, you'll have to restart you system to get them back up (which is a two-edged pain), but may help you discover what the source of your Mini-freezes is/are.

2)  If you have multiple sound cards in your system, you should probably turn off the one(s) that you are not using....Skuzzy says there are known issues/conflicts between the drivers of the major manufactures (My paraphrasing of his words).   I shut down my NVIDIA High Def Audio sound card (It was only supposed to be driving my TV Speakers...which I DONT use) --- I found it in: Control Panel, System, Device Manger, Sound, Video, Game controllers.

The goal of the exercise is to see if you can get your CPU usage % down to 0% (with an occasional momentary bump to 1%).  I turned of 30 processes, and got to the goal of 0% CPU (with momentary bump to 1%).   

Then I turn on Ventrillo and the system used 4%...sigh.

SO, the GOAL of this very non-technical write-up is to encourage anyone that is experiencing the Micro-Freezes to:

1)  Write it up for HTC to be aware (Make sure you tell them if you are using DX9, or Dx11).   We can't really expect things to get better if they don't know we are having issues.

2)   Offer a possible fix to your issue.

Lastly, there are some more technical suggestions in the Hardware/Software "Processes" thread that is also running right now.

:aok

:cheers:

Rodent57

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
-AE

Offline Dundee

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
Re: Stutters and Micro-Freezes -- this MIGHT Help!
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 03:25:50 AM »
I don't run DX 11 as too many times I in the bomb sight and just about the time your going to drop.....Bump ...so as far as I'm concerned, I don't use it and I'm running win 10 with a Navida 1070...and DX 11 still bumps....so I just use the 32 bit version DX 11 and it seems to be more stable but still has a bump or two an hour.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 04:48:46 AM »
I had forgotten how bad the stutters were in dx9 and 11 until I had to give up my VR in AH while my head heals.  I have already had a white screen freeze.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 06:01:40 AM »
If you are getting stutters in the DX9 version of the game it is usually something external of the game causing it.  Something we have no control over.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 06:03:28 AM »
No issues with 9 here. Whats causing them in 11?

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 07:28:36 AM »
No problems with DX9.
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2018, 07:48:42 AM »
Yeah mine happen in dx11. Totally random micro freezes. Less than a second.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2018, 01:17:54 PM »
If you are getting stutters in the DX9 version of the game it is usually something external of the game causing it.  Something we have no control over.

In my case it was my USB WiFi.   I hardwired to Cat5 and it all but killed the microfreezes.   Next step is DX11. 
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline LTCClark

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2018, 01:22:10 PM »
when I installed the NVIDIA Game Drivers and all of the addons that it wants you to install I started getting micro stutters

So i uninstalled all of the drivers and addons and only installed the video drivers

The Micro Stutters were gone.

The NVIDIA Sound Driver for your video card will cause the stutters so I recommend uninstalling it if you do not have sound over HDMI being used.
Get VoiceBot and Use Speech for game commands
www.voicebot.net
AutoHotkey and Software repo maps etc for AHIII

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2018, 03:37:43 PM »
when I installed the NVIDIA Game Drivers and all of the addons that it wants you to install I started getting micro stutters

So i uninstalled all of the drivers and addons and only installed the video drivers

The NVIDIA Sound Driver for your video card will cause the stutters so I recommend uninstalling it if you do not have sound over HDMI being used.

Is this on DX11or DX9?
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2018, 03:45:35 PM »

same here. I only use the video drivers. DX9 is always stable, stutter free.
 :salute
Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Offline wil3ur

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2018, 03:49:56 PM »
I've had similar issues with microstutters as well as sound distortion/fuzziness especially when in a GV.  My initial thought was to deactivate the NVIDIA sound drivers, but this didn't seem to help.  Not sure if a full wipe/reinstall would be needed.

It's strange though, I can play many other games that use much more processing/graphics power such as Skyrim and have game play free of slowdowns, stutters and sound issues.  The only games I seem to get these in are online (WoWS and AHIII specifically).

My other thought is possibly having issues with my switch.  It's about 10 years old and has had a couple ports fail...  I might think about swapping that too.  Hrmmm.   :bhead
"look at me I am making a derogatory remark to the OP"