Author Topic: collisions  (Read 934 times)

Offline Modas

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cutthroats.com
collisions
« on: March 28, 2002, 01:11:18 PM »
Could someone please explain to me how collisions work (i.e. are determined).  I KNOW how they work, two planes collide :-)

It seems that during a Ho'ing attempt by another a/c, I'm always on the short end of the stick and end up loosing large pieces even tho the ho'ing a/c does not hit me with any bullets.  I can only attest this to a collision.  The other a/c doesn't seem to have any damage after the merge.

I'm certainly not trying to ram the other guy, but it always seems like I'm the one gettting spanked.  How does AH determine who is the collider and the collidee (if that is a word) .  I am using a dial up connect vs a cable or dsl.  

Thanks for the help

Modas
8=X Cutthroats

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
collisions
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2002, 01:25:58 PM »
Online flight sims do a nice job of creating the illusion that we all fly together in the same arena. We actually fly on our own PC's while receiving position information on all the other aircraft in view and sending position information about ourselves. Because of the lag in position updates you can collide with someone on your PC even though they miss you on theirs. For the same reason lag is not a factor when you are shooting at someone you see on your PC, but when someone is shooting you on their PC, they may be closer or have a better angle than they appear to.

--)-FLS----
Musketeers

Offline Puck

• Gold Member
collisions
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2002, 01:32:27 PM »
Speaking of collisions I have a film of a near-perfect Memphis Belle stunt.  In a B-17, shot the wings off a spit that was silly enough to attack me, and what was left of his plane chopped my bomber more or less in two.

That was so cool I didn't even mind dying...in the tail turret watching half a spit cartwheel into my left wing.

I'll try to get a clip posted (to that other group) reasonably soon.
//c coad  c coad run  run coad run
main (){char _[]={"S~||(iuv{nkx%K9Y$hzhhd\x0c"},__
,___=1;for(__=___>>___;__<((___<<___<<___<<___<<___
)+(___<<___<<___<<___)-___);__+=___)putchar((_[__
])+(__/((___<<___)+___))-((___&

Offline Yippee38

• Copper Member
      • http://www.cutthroats.com
collisions
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2002, 03:54:39 PM »
The Italian plane always loses in a collision.

;)

Offline Mino

• Copper Member
collisions
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2002, 08:00:12 PM »
Just what FLS says.  

If you ram on your FE you take damage.  This is absolutely irrespect of what the player you just rammed did.

If the did not ram on their FE they take no damage.

Offline kraquen

• Zinc Member
collisions
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2002, 03:56:51 AM »
IMO a collision should always result in massive damage to both planes..

in the current system, 1 plane sees a collision, 1 doesn't (at least that's my understanding) .. seems to me that as soon as the  'non-colliding' FE receives update from the 'colliding' FE, that both planes should be penalized.. now i realize it's more than just collision/non-collision.. ie which part of plane a hit which part of plane b..  but it seems a wee bit cheesey to me for 2 planes to have a hit/near miss and 1 of them go down in flames while the otherthinks he got a lucky hit..

Offline Naudet

• Nickel Member
collisions
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2002, 04:42:21 AM »
Kraquen, that actually not the best idea.

Just imagine you evade a collision on your FE bye active maneuvering, but the other guy doesnt, cause he is too greedy, whiling to risk the collision or dump.

If due to lag on his FE, he rams you. And you already saw that you made a succesul evasion on ur FE, would you like if your efforts are annihilated by a nice crash and down you go, even though you did everything to avoid that?

Offline Gwjr2

• Nickel Member
collisions
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2002, 04:18:53 PM »
Dont know but Fighter Ace back 4 years ago had a fine col. model even with friendlys I think we need that in AH
just my .02
Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same.

Offline Puck

• Gold Member
collisions
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2002, 05:37:18 PM »
Oh, I don't know.  Without ground control can you imagine trying to take off from a busy field if friendly collisions were enabled?  Given that various fields are at different altitudes you can't hardly even have a hard deck.
//c coad  c coad run  run coad run
main (){char _[]={"S~||(iuv{nkx%K9Y$hzhhd\x0c"},__
,___=1;for(__=___>>___;__<((___<<___<<___<<___<<___
)+(___<<___<<___<<___)-___);__+=___)putchar((_[__
])+(__/((___<<___)+___))-((___&

Offline kraquen

• Zinc Member
collisions
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2002, 06:02:22 PM »
i'm not talking about friendly collisions.. but if 2 planes are close enough to collide, they both had to get there... whether 1 person tries to evade at the last second or not... 1 guy loses a wing and 1 guy gets of scott free isn't good

Offline Frost

• Copper Member
collisions
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2002, 08:58:12 PM »
Both planes should die in a collision every time.  As it stands now your chance of surviving a collision is based on  the quality of both plane's connection.  Both should die so that one person's lousy connect doesn't dictate survival.  Let's face it...in real life if two fighter planes collided the chances of surviving so minimal that making it so that both planes automatically die is not a stretch.

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
collisions
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2002, 10:51:24 PM »
frost , this is not real life, this is the best compromise for net lag play.

i would like frendly collisions on and no spawning on runway, spawn in a empty hanger or revetment and taxi to runway, and wile i'm at it how about real bomb craters.

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
collisions
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2002, 12:04:22 AM »
This comes up time and time again. The way the collision model is the best that can possible be achieved, given the inherent limitations of the internet and the lag of it.

For those that dissagree, re-read Naudets post, and then read it again. Imagine from both perspectives.

I sure as hell would be pissed if i avoided a collision (as seen on my front end - what else is there to go by???) and yet i end up smashed to bits all of a sudden. Thats what would happen if a compulsory two plane damage rule existed.

Collisions in real life are a factor of existing in the same space at the same time. Online we collectively experience the arena virtual time from different positions in our sligtly lagged perspective of the virtual time. So it is possible for someone to ram someone while the other party involved was not rammed cause they are experiencing different exact moments in virtual time (ie the two planes did not exist in the same place in the same time, by virtue of two different times).

wow, theres my philosophical rant out of the way...
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline kraquen

• Zinc Member
collisions
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2002, 12:07:43 AM »
1 person is penalized, 1 isn't..

Offline Lazerus

• Gold Member
collisions
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2002, 02:27:53 AM »
Originally posted by Yippee38
The Italian plane always loses in a collision.

;)

Just whay Yipee said :D