Author Topic: Collisions  (Read 833 times)

Offline Fariz

• Silver Member
      • http://9giap.warriormage.com
Collisions
« on: April 21, 2000, 03:58:00 PM »
After it happened 1000th time, I finally decided to ask. How the one who lost parts in collisions is decided? What affect it, speed, net lag, direction of hit? It seems that almost always I am the one who fall apart after collition. Does not matter if I am faster, slower, higher, lower etc.

I am dammaged in collisions so often that I am close to start avoiding any HO, even favorable ones. Seems at least every fifth my death is in collision.

Any ideas?

Fariz

Offline CavemanJ

• Silver Member
Collisions
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2000, 04:14:00 PM »
IMO both birds should go down in a collision (no kills awarded to either pilot).  Might help reduce HOs having real concerns about colliding with your intended victim

I believe it's setup now that whoever did the ramming is the one who looses parts, and it seems to me that speed is a factor in determining who's at fault.  A few times I've blown a bounce and ended up colliding with my intended target only to loose wings etc and fall to the earth while the target flies on unaware.  Other times I'm fighting with a bandit and rope'em, then nose over for the kill and they pull up right into me trying for the HO and it ends up a collision in thier favor.  Nancyboy spit drivers are the worst about doing that

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
Collisions
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2000, 04:46:00 PM »
uhhh...

I think collisions are either detected or not detected by your FE, meaning lag has more to do with who gets it than anything.

It's like getting shot in HO. You see sprites on the other guy, he doesn't, therefore his plane takes no damage.

Offline Hristo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Collisions
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2000, 04:52:00 PM »
This is an old and fair solution, if you have net lag in mind. Why should I die in collision just because someone rammed me on his FE, while I was far away (and avoided it)on mine ?

Please keep it this way.

Offline Fariz

• Silver Member
      • http://9giap.warriormage.com
Collisions
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2000, 05:10:00 PM »
So it is my 700ms of lag.

Explains it.

I use to HO on verticals, when my opponent out of e, and can not put a good shot. It works, but collisions made it too costly.

Seems I need to change my flying a bit to make such collisions less often. Will try to find a solution.

Thanks for replies.

Fariz

Offline Hristo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Collisions
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2000, 05:16:00 PM »
Even a great connection (for US pilots with fast connects) has in fact 2 different views: each pilot sees the fight differently. Also, these planes are fast and 100ms means the diference between collision or close pass. I believe Hoof elaborated much more on this long time ago.

So yes, it is possible that you collide on your FE, but the other guy missed the collision by few meters.

Offline Skorpyon

• Copper Member
Collisions
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2000, 05:52:00 AM »
Worse yet, is attacking a bomber from a steep, high speed dive, watching him disintegrate in to many pieces, but flying through his debris kills your own plane and awards the bomber pilot the kill.  Seems very odd to me that I could watch him shatter, and he gets the kill for hitting me in the face with pieces of his fuselage...    Has happened more than once.

------------------
Skorpyon
I/JG2 ~Richthofen~
"Feel the Sting......"

Offline danish

• Nickel Member
Collisions
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2000, 06:04:00 AM »
Hristo is right: go see Hoof's exellent piece on netlag and HO's (amongst other things): http://www.rdrop.com/users/hoofj/netlag.htm

danish

Offline Wardog

• Copper Member
Collisions
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2000, 06:24:00 AM »
sorry guys...

But,your kidding right. AH collision modeling is about 150% better than the one we have in WB. Ive only had a few collisions and have lost the parts that have done the deed. Mostly in steep dive on B17s,seem to clip my wing on theres. Only rarely have i collided with a fighter. Ive plowed into the rear of a 190 cause the bastage didnt blow up like he should have & lost both wings.

This collision modeling that AH has just rocks. This is the last thing i thought id ever see brought up here.

And ill not comment on it again.

[This message has been edited by Wardog (edited 04-23-2000).]

Offline Badger

• Copper Member
      • Military Surplus Collectors Forums
Collisions
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2000, 06:49:00 AM »

Originally posted by Fariz:

........I am dammaged in collisions so often that I am close to start avoiding any HO, even favorable ones. Seems at least every fifth my death is in collision.

Although I haven't experienced your high collision incidence rate, I think it is a direct result of connection rates.  Judging by our one encounter last night, I found it almost impossible to follow your 180 degree pirouettes and right angle shots, let alone have time to worry about collisions.  My 1,000ms connect combined with your 700ms would be enough to do it.

From my end, HTC has some serious routing problems using particularly the "savvis" environment.  I get great 100ms connects on all hops up the last two, at which point it goes in the toilet.  The last one is the HTC server environment and the second to last is this "savvis outfit".

Regards,
Badger

[This message has been edited by Badger (edited 04-23-2000).]

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
Collisions
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2000, 08:10:00 AM »
I like the collision model. I actually love it that, when I blow the wing off a B17, I have to be worried about it folding back into my face. I may die, but it is more immersive than being able to fly with umpunity up the tailpipe of anyone.

skippy

Collisions
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2000, 09:37:00 AM »
Yep without collisions and gravity ect..I wouldnt pay to play.  err 700ms !  I don't bother playin any game at more than 300 max...its not fair to you or the other peeps.

[This message has been edited by skippy (edited 04-23-2000).]

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
Collisions
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2000, 10:32:00 AM »
AH collisions rock

dinae change em plz
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
Collisions
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2000, 01:51:00 PM »
Yah, I love the collision model also. When I die inna collision, it's been 100% because I've done the ramming... and visa versa when I've been the one rammed into. In my opinion it's perfect.

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Collisions
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2000, 02:30:00 PM »
 AH has the best of any online sim Ive played.