Author Topic: why that handle  (Read 3814 times)

Offline roland

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.jamous.com.br
why that handle
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2003, 05:12:36 AM »
I liked the name.. roland
and he's a cool stephen king character

and I thought Goose or Maverick would be too dumb.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
why that handle
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2003, 07:08:28 AM »
...well...pretty obvious, I guess.

When I first signed up for AW, I figured that I would clearly be the oldest guy flying there.  After all, no grown up man would play a computer game, right?

- oldman

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
why that handle
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2003, 07:13:18 AM »
My name in Air Warrior was -Elf-, can't use the symbols here and Elf was taken. Soooo...since most people just called me Elfie anyways in AW.  ;)
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
why that handle
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2003, 07:57:42 AM »
Originally posted by Dead Man Flying
Hint: It refers to Thomas Hobbes and not the big fish from the Book of Job.  Sikboy, tell 'em!

Sikboy was my license plate back in '93 when I first flew AW.

But why did your license plate read "Sikboy?"

Because "Sickboy" was taken.

But why did you want "Sickboy?"

Oh, it's from a Social Distortion song, check it out sometime.

-Sik
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.

Offline sax

• Gold Member
      • http://www.13thtas.com
why that handle
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2003, 08:10:24 AM »
Cause I love the Sax---If I ever learn to play it I could die a happy man.
Of course there is a better than average chance my wife will kill me before that day.

Offline Ouch

• Copper Member
<sigh> Here we go again. someone stop me.
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2003, 09:08:38 AM »
Theres a long story behind this, and that makes it a valid call sign.

The first thing you need to remember is that there are three types of call signs:

Ones you give yourself
   Ones given to you by your friends (hehehe)
   Ones that you earn by nigh unto legendary acts.

The first are the kind that you see in the movies. Maverick, Iceman, etc. Cute, but really only says what the person wishes were true about himself }:-> (sounds of flame throwers cranking up in the background.)(duck, dodge, weave)

The second is for just being you. It usually is a play on words dealing with the pilots name or characteristics about him. ie "Duke" for someone named Ellington, "Rabbit" for someone who likes carrots or has big ears, "Beans" for someone whom you don't want to sit next to in a movie :->  etc.

The last is the "Best" in the eyes of the fighter pilots I know. It is given for a single spectacular incident.

Case in point: Squadron CO is doing a flyby in his F-14 across the beam of his carrier for the movie people on board. As he starts to pass the ship, he kicks in the burners. His engine explodes and the F-14 goes toward the horizen trailing flames and little pieces of airframe. After a little swim, the CO learned he had a new Callsign.

Comet.

Mines not that good, but I like it anyway.

It all starts at Texas A&M University back in the Fall of 84. On campus there was a group of students who formed a student organization to play wargames. It was known by many names, Gamers, GRAMETS, and finally NOVA. For those of us involved, it was a time we will never forget (though we often wish everyone else would forget parts of it :->

One night I'm gaming, minding my own business, sitting on the back of a chair, when out of nowhere the damn thing decided it didn't like it. Pieces of chair go everywhere and I end up bleeding on the floor. Now you have to understand, I only weighed about 130 lbs at this point, and there was no real reason for it to go. But no problem, I stayed all night and quietly bled while playing SFB and Squad Leader. Now the only thing of note here is that this was the first meeting that Tim "Chuckie" Gray (Who flew as Noid in ck for a while) ever attended.

The next week, were doing something involving dice again, and someone knocks a handful off on the floor. Several of us get down to collect them and, almost immediately, the table takes a severe dislike to my being under it. Once again the blood starts to flow. Tim was also there. His second meeting.

The next week, (and no, I am not ****ting you) Tim shows up and makes some smart comment about whether or not I'm going to bleed. I laugh it off (silly me). We game for a while and all begin to get hungry. Being a poor college student, I had just enough money to pay for the burger and drink from the snack bar downstairs.

I, in a typically witless fasion, begin a headlong rush up the stairs to get back before they change the position of any of my squad. On the final flight of stairs, I, of course, slipped.

Now literally, on the way down to the floor I had time to consider the following facts:

No matter what I do, this is going to hurt
   I have no money left
   I'm still very hungry
   I'm also very thirsty and need the caffine
   I'm going to lose either the hamburger or coke if I stop myself from falling

So, I thought as I went down:

Coke or Hamburger
   Coke or Hamburger
   Coke or Hamburger
   FACE (SMACK)

Needless to say, Chuckie was highly amused when I got back to the room, bleeding again. Still have the scar over my right eye from that one, BUT I saved my DINNER.

I was then awarded the nickname of Ouch, which has unfortunately stuck with me through my entire life.

Now, you also need to understand that this propensity for self injury did not start in college, nor did it end when I left.
   Next time you see me, you might want to ask about :
   How I permanantly injured my shoulder (tore my rotator cuff) turning off a light switch
   How I broke my toe on a blade of grass
   How I broke my thumb falling UP a flight of stairs.

And the list goes on.

Offline BlkKnit

• Gold Member
why that handle
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2003, 09:14:10 AM »
When I was in the Corps, I was assigned to VMFA314 "BlackKnights"  

BlackKnight is usually related to any online name I use at various locations.

Hmmm...I was in VMFA531 "GrayGhosts" too.....lessee

GrayGhst....well if I ever need to change my handle ;)

Once a Knight is Never Enough

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
why that handle
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2003, 09:18:42 AM »
Originally posted by Elfie
Soooo...since most people just called me Elfie anyways in AW.  ;)

except me, smurf...

;)
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline roland

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.jamous.com.br
why that handle
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2003, 10:31:26 AM »
hey ouch

do you lurk on every online flight sim forum looking for "why your handle" threads so you can write that thing?
:D

I even thought about it when I saw the thread.. remembering the 3 types of handles..

I, in fact, have the 3 kinds of handles

1) Roland. I gave that to myself.
2) James. A variation on my last name. also Horse Instincts.
3) 60 minutes. aka Sore Tongue
 :p

"I'm Primo Sindone. They call me Johnny Long. Some of yous know me as Mickey Gaga... some of yous know me as Joey Bumbats"

"My name is Ben Sobel...leone. Ben Sobelleone. I'm also known as Benny the Groin, Sammy the Shnoz, Elmer the Fudd, Tubby the Tuba, and once as Miss Phyllis Levine, but that was a party, it was years ago. I smoked a titibit, and I had a quaqualuude, and then suddenly I'm in fishnets and singin' show tunes. These things happen, but has nothing to do with what I'm here with you fine gentlemen today. So, I apologize. That being said, I am also known to the people who know me the best as the ****in' Doctor."

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
why that handle
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2003, 10:56:40 AM »
I ate, slept, and drank hockey from the age of 5 (1959) until I was 22 (1976). I played left defense my whole career.  

It believe that is was sometime in the early 70's that Bobby Hull made the "slapshot" the most feared shot in hockey. Well, of course all of us had to develop such a shot and playing defense, the slapshot was quite logical to take when at the offensive blue line.

Well, I worked day and night, 7 days a-week, 365 days of the year on my slapshot. I developed the ability to hit it high or low and with great speed and impact.

My personal game plan was that any opportunity that presented itself to release the slapshot during the 1st period was to aim not at the goal, but rather at any opposing player that was in between me and the goal.

If I took it low, I would get ankle shots (gotta experience one to appreciate the pain) or take it chest high (kinda like a fastball brushback).

Well after about letting at least  6 of those fly, everytime I wound up for the next slapshot, the bodies would part like the red sea and I had a direct shot at the goal/goaly. Both my Junior and Senior year in High School I was high scorer on the team.

I took the name SlapShot due to the fact that everytime I entered the hockey rink, whether at home or away, I would always hear someone say ... there's that guy with the "SlapShot" ... and it keeps me linked to great times past gone.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline mudder

• Zinc Member
why that handle
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2003, 11:06:16 AM »
More suited for infantry than Air Corp?

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
why that handle
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2003, 11:29:15 AM »
Its what Canadian infanteers called themselves when I was one of them.

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
why that handle
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2003, 11:44:36 AM »
history of poor anger management.

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
why that handle
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2003, 11:53:32 AM »
There was a time in my life that things couldn't get much better.

Now I'm at a time when things can't get much worse.

It's a sad story.
White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

"You can't vote your way out of communism."

Offline MotorOil

• Copper Member
why that handle
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2003, 12:07:09 PM »
Was hard up for a unique handle.  Went to this web site that  generates call signs by typing in your name.  

So I did and that's what popped out.