Author Topic: Skins under construction  (Read 73647 times)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Skins under construction
« on: November 11, 2005, 02:01:49 PM »
New thread to start a new list of under-construction skins.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Re: Skins under construction
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 01:42:38 PM »
I'd like to let people know I'm working these P-51s:

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
Re: Re: Skins under construction
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 01:55:22 PM »
Down for trouble and boomtown banshee look like pretty neat schemes!

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Re: Re: Skins under construction
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 01:58:30 PM »
Down for DOUBLE and boomtown banshee look like pretty neat schemes!

Agreed.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
325th VFG - "The Checkertails"
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline +Kilroy+

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2017, 07:00:21 AM »
T-34/85 skins. Painting is the easy part (relatively), assembling documentation for old Soviet and Nazi armor is proving to be a bit tedious. Got the Polish and German pretty well tagged, still working on information for the winter and Red Guard skins. I also created a layered paint kit that makes adding things like camouflage patterns a lot easier.

Online lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2017, 12:57:51 PM »
T-34/85 skins. Painting is the easy part (relatively), assembling documentation for old Soviet and Nazi armor is proving to be a bit tedious. Got the Polish and German pretty well tagged, still working on information for the winter and Red Guard skins. I also created a layered paint kit that makes adding things like camouflage patterns a lot easier.

(Image removed from quote.)

Knowing where to look for this information is the key.

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,364331.msg4846351.html#msg4846351

A number of the links don't work anymore that aside the hosts of those links have plenty of information to find what you want.

http://en.calameo.com/read/0013529286993ce0900d8

https://www.scribd.com/document/216756341/Seria-Pod-Lup%C4%85-No-102-T-34-85

https://www.scribd.com/doc/170106027/Concord-Armor-at-War-7011-Soviet-Tanks-in-Combat-1941-45-the-T-28-T-34-T-34-85-and-T-44-Medium-Tanks-1997

http://en.calameo.com/read/0013529285a24fe285af2

http://en.calameo.com/read/00135292834457417559c

Offline +Kilroy+

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2017, 05:20:27 PM »
Thanks but, knowing how to translate is golden. What are you, a lyricist? J/k. That was my biggest problem researching, most of the images were captioned in Cyrillic, or some other language and since they were photo images, I couldn't copy/paste into translate. I did learn a lot but I wasn't going to learn Russian for this project. I pretty much have every tank identified well enough to withstand reasonable scrutiny at this point anyway. I wanted to do a Finnish one because they are so colorful, but the roundel looks precariously close to the forbidden swastika, so I put it aside for now. I learned the default T-34 is one of the most common duplicated scheme on the internet, usually with the welded bed frame panzerfaust protection. I also saw the source for Redhawks version and learned it is from the 2nd Guards.  I thought about doing the Armenian one, but it just seemed so plain white. Perhaps in the next batch, if I get to do one.

Online lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2017, 11:28:54 PM »
I wanted to do a Finnish one because they are so colorful, but the roundel looks precariously close to the forbidden swastika, so I put it aside for now.

No captured skins allowed anyways.

Offline +Kilroy+

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2017, 05:45:44 AM »
Are you saying that beyond these requirements:

"Some basic guidlines:
We will not accept skins containing the swastika. NOTE: If you are making a skin that originally had a swastiska, just leave the spot blank where the swastika would have been, or change the swastika to the Iron Cross. Use your best judgement on this.
We will not accept skins that alter the overall shape of the object.
We will only accept skins that were historically used in World War II.
Only submit the files/skins you actually change from the original.
The text description file must be named by the object name, such as p51d.txt for a P51D skin, for example."
http://www.hitechcreations.com/features/custom-skins

There are additional caveats to prevent someone from submitting skins that have already been created? Ok cool, I'm pretty much done with it then and I'll take the opportunity to suggest that every rule that would affect skin submission be clearly posted on that page, that a potential skinner would check before selecting skins to reproduce and historically document for that submission. Doing this and anything else to facilitate submission might relieve the woeful absence of variety in many hangar selections.

Throughout the war, Finland fought exclusively with captured or purchased tanks, they had no indigenous production or their own.

"Finnish army bought from Germany in the summer 1944 three T-34" tanks.http://beutepanzer.ru/Beutepanzer/su/t-34/finland/fin_t-34.html

German use of captured armor was even more proliferate. At the commencement of the largest tank battle in human history, The Battle of Kursk, Russia languished in numerical superiority, possibly as high as 3 to 1.

"Known as the largest tank battle in military history, the Battle of Prokhorovka saw 800-850 tanks of the Soviet army line up against the significantly smaller force of the Germans. Russian sources put the German number of tanks between 500 and 700. Although figures from German sources are not available, the real number is likely to have been far less, with 294 German tanks having been listed as available the day before the battle."
http://www.militaryeducation.org/10-most-epic-tank-battles-in-military-history/

"Losses at 1941 and beginning of 1942 with the incapacity of German plants to compensate losses draw more attention to restoration and use of captured technology. Beginning from end of 1941 seized T-34 they began to send to the repair plant in Riga for the restoration and the modernizations."

"In the summer of 1943 were organized entire units equipped with captured tanks, but the widest application was in parts of SS. 25 tanks T-34 of different production types (according to others data to 33) they became part of 3 Pz.Jg.Abt. 2 Pz.Gr.Div. SS 'Das Reich'."

"Captured T-34 in the period of combat near Kursk were used also in the Wehrmacht units. For example 11 Pz. Rgt. 6 Pz. Div., according to the data on 26 April 1943, had 1 tank T-34, and on 10 July 1943 - 4 tanks T-34. In the same period captured T-34 there were in Pz.Jg.Abt. 128 23 Pz.Div."
http://beutepanzer.ru/Beutepanzer/su/su_trophy.htm

Based on the history of WWII, it seems absurd to me to disallow skins from captured vehicles. Here is what appears to be the final version of my German T-34.

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2017, 06:32:43 AM »
The rule against captured skins is aimed at stopping skins of the odd enemy aircraft used for testing or as a squadron hack. It might be worth asking HTC whether they'd allow a German T-34 since they were used in large numbers. Although they might want to prevent setting a precedent: "Why can't I skin a captured Luftwaffe Spitfire/Soviet Panzer IV/British Panther when there are German T-34s in the game?"

There are also plenty of examples of skins of non-indigenous machines in the game, RAF aircraft bought from the USA and so on. The Finnish markings are OK as the design predates the Nazi party and is not a swastika. It is all about context. I have several aircraft skins with those markings in the game already.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 06:39:19 AM by Greebo »

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2017, 06:40:17 AM »
Our intent is to have skins, which were actually deployed in battle are used in the game.  Now, we have some made exceptions, but it is something we take on a case-by-case basis.

We are not going to try and cover every little nuance in the rules.  When in doubt, just ask us.  There will always be gray areas.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline +Kilroy+

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2017, 08:42:39 AM »
The rule against captured skins
I think potential skinner's would still like to know where to find this rule and others like it before embarking on a process that may only prove to be educational.
 I'll tell you where I come from and try to not be long winded about it. I usually dont gv. Unemployed with a broken stick, I will give it a shot. Turns out I'm somewhat handy with AP rounds, always had very fast reflexes. Prefer the T-34 for it's overall maneuverability, fancy it is a bit like what the Soviets must have felt, as far as historical reenactments go. One thing I notice is those high recognition stripes, can see that turret from literally a mile away. Love the German schemes, by and large, but I don't prefer the ponderous and vulnerable Panthers and Tigers. So I'd like to see some variety and one of the things I do when employed is 3d modelling, so the hard part of texturing, for me, is finding accurate sources. While compiling those sources I learn that those high visibility bands are very common, somewhat of a standard and were very pronounced by the time the T-34 rolled into Berlin.
  There are also very colorful schemes that were used, all authentic and some of them German. In fact, the T-34/76 that was recently recovered had German markings. It might be an excellent one to reproduce, this tank fought for both sides and was intentionally scuttled.

"Russian T-34 Tank WW II Russian T-34 tank with German markings uncovered after 62 years.

During battles in the summer of 1944, the tank was captured from the Soviet army and used by the Germans, explaining the German markings on the tank. On 19th September, 1944, German troops began an organized retreat along the Narva front."
http://www.slideshare.net/halffast/t34-tank-recovered-after-62-years-in-estonia

I would say, respectfully, the question has been raised. This is work and these are my offerings. Is there something you'd like changed, removed, or included?

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2017, 07:27:44 AM »
I'm going to be skinning some Bf 110s of both types. Haven't decided what ones yet, it'll be a few weeks before I need to worry about that.

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2017, 02:41:56 PM »
I'm going to claim the 110's I want to skin.

Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline +Kilroy+

• Zinc Member
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2017, 04:40:54 PM »
Final(ish) versions. Two winter, two Beutepanzer, a Polish variant and one without the horizontal stripe.