Author Topic: saskatchewan info needed  (Read 4583 times)

Offline dracken1

• Silver Member
saskatchewan info needed
« on: December 23, 2001, 02:20:00 PM »
i have a "coin" dated 1905,which has printed on it, prairie lily (lis de la prairie),and a picture of a lily. on main side is a lion over what seems to be 3 sheaves of corn, with the date and saskatchewan printed above and below. please can someone help? this is really bugging me! was this a real coin?

Offline loser

• Silver Member
saskatchewan info needed
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2001, 04:22:00 PM »
dracken ill look into it...

i live in saskatchewan

it may be a real legal coin, or one of those special mint coins. It is hard to say if it was legal tender or not.

Saskatchewan became a province of Canada in 1905 and a coin may have been circulated to mark the occasion.

and here is some info (wasnt sure if you wanted to know about the coin or the place)

The name Saskatchewan derives from the Plains Indian word "kisiskatchewan" which means swiftly flowing river.  Saskatchewan is also the name of the major river system in the province. Other important waterways are the Qu'Appelle and Churchill, all of which drain into Hudson Bay.
Saskatchewan is 1 of 10 Canadian provinces and is situated in the heart of North America.  Our neighbour to the east is the Province of Manitoba, and to the west is the Province of Alberta.  To the North we border the Northwest Territories and Nunavut and, to the south, the American states of North Dakota and Montana.

Saskatchewan became a province of Canada in 1905 and is now home to over 1,000,000 people with 76% of the population in urban centres and 24% in rural areas.  There are 12 cities, 145 towns, 358 villages, 25 Northern Municipalites and 297 Rural Municipalities in the province.

Saskatchewan has a democratic government run on the parliamentary system with an appointed Lieutenant Governor representing the Crown, and an elected Legislative Assembly.  

Saskatchewan produces 54% of the wheat grown in Canada and while Agriculture is still very important to our economy, generating almost $2 billion annually, service-based sectors such as finance, insurance and real estate ($3.3billion) are also making a significant impact.

if you want to know more about the coin, i can go over to a local coin dealer and ask him if he knows of it.

let me know

edit>  go to this site http://www.mint.ca/en/index

this is the website for the Royal Canadian where all legal tender and other commemorative coins are made in Canada.

you can click on the "contact us" link and email them a detailed description..they may be able to help.

[ 12-23-2001: Message edited by: loser ]

[ 12-23-2001: Message edited by: loser ]

Offline loser

• Silver Member
saskatchewan info needed
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2001, 04:48:00 PM »
uh oh:

did some hunting:

form some gay message board:

I have recently found a 1905 Saskatchewan coin in the basement of the house I am currently living in. On one side it shows the Saskatchewan shield in the middle, "Saskatchewan" above and below the shield, and the year separated on both sides of the shield ("19" is on the left, of course, and "05" is on the right). On the other side it shows a picture of a Prairie Lily in the middle, "Prairie Lily" on the top, and "Lis De La Prairie" on the bottom.

Would anyone know how much it is worth?

and the devastating reply:

Re: 1905 Saskatchewan Coin

This is another of the Shell Oil company giveaways in 1967. This medallion has no value at all.

looks like if you gassed up at a shell gas station in 1967 you got this coin for buying their gas (that smells really weird, almost like a skunk's ass)

sorry m8.

Offline dracken1

• Silver Member
saskatchewan info needed
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2001, 06:43:00 PM »
thanks very much for the trouble you took over this.i live in the uk and this coin (or piece of scrap as it shall now be referred to)was in a large bag of silver three penny pieces i have.so i was curious about it.
no more.once again thanks.