Author Topic: GV performance degraded in new version  (Read 552 times)

Offline MajIssue

• Silver Member
      • "False Prophets"
GV performance degraded in new version
« on: March 21, 2008, 01:55:33 PM »
I have noticed that when I up any GV in the new version of Aces High, that I get a frame rate of 2 with the default graphic settings. I was getting a frame rate of at least 30 with the same settings in the previous release. Was this intentional? perhaps making it necessary for ALL GVers to move the top slider in the graphic settings to "Faster"? I thought the game might be " lagging due to having  alot of GVs in play in my area, so I upped at a "backwater" base, alone and duplicated the same issue.

I love the new graphics guys, but I also noted  a slighlty (5-10 fps)  degraded frame rate when upping aircraft.

I play on a 6 month old HP laptop, with a Pentium Duo 2.4 MGHZ with 1 Gig of RAM running Vista Home.
X.O. False Prophets
Altitude is Life
If you keep ignoring "Wife Ack" it will go away.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: GV performance degraded in new version
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 02:27:07 PM »
1 gig of ram is barely enough to run vista.... the hog that it is. Try turning down the processes you have running first to get your machine as lean as possible, then turn down the eye candy in the game till you get it playable. may have to drop down in texture size too.

Offline kilz

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 08:03:39 PM »
Maj

Fugitive is right. 1 gig who you kidding dont think that would run my kids puter LOL i would stick another gig in there and while your doing that there is a free program that helps you turn off processers SAFELY its called FS AutoStart just google the name and it will show up on the search.  :aok
Former LTARkilz

R.I.P 68KO, TailSpin, Maj1Shot, Prop31st, SWfire, rodders, Vega, easy8, 11Bravo, AWMac, GMC31st, Stoliman, WWhiskey

Offline MajIssue

• Silver Member
      • "False Prophets"
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 10:06:15 AM »
I have turned down all the eye candy and uneeded processes. my memory usage is at 38% when I open AH2. I tried all the "Fixes" suggested by an unamed tech support person at HTC and it caused my computer to lock up fatally... I had to re-format my HD and reinstall windows. System restore did not do it! After bringing my laptop back to original factory configuration, and killing all the resourse hogs with MSConfig I now get frame rates in the 50-60 range in aircraft and 30-40 in GVs (with the "sliders" set to "faster"). This still doesn't answer my query... Is the GV frame rate degraded in the new version. I was getting better performance with the older release and I find that after talking with other players that my situation isn't unique.
X.O. False Prophets
Altitude is Life

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 10:19:44 AM »
From the 2.122 readme, could this be effecting your framerates?
"Fixed a level of detail bug that caused certain ground objects to disappear when they shouldn't. "

Fewer things disappear now.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline MajIssue

• Silver Member
      • "False Prophets"
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 02:03:14 PM »
From the 2.122 readme, could this be effecting your framerates?
"Fixed a level of detail bug that caused certain ground objects to disappear when they shouldn't. "

Fewer things disappear now.

It's possible I suppose.

It seems like an uphill battle to balance graphic detail and user performance, particularly when having to deal with the "lowest common denominator" of minimum system requirements.

I'm just a little miffed that I have performance issues with a machine that exceeds minimum requirements by more than a little!
X.O. False Prophets
Altitude is Life

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Inc. Aces High
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 03:04:02 PM »
Does your video card set up have a setting for transparency Anti aliasing? Nvidia has multisampling / supersampling and off as options for transparency AA. Turn it off if you have it and then try it.

Offline MajIssue

• Silver Member
      • "False Prophets"
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 04:16:31 PM »
Does your video card set up have a setting for transparency Anti aliasing? Nvidia has multisampling / supersampling and off as options for transparency AA. Turn it off if you have it and then try it.
I'll try that...
X.O. False Prophets
Altitude is Life

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 06:56:07 AM »
Not to put too fine a point on it, but check note #1 in the requirements for the game.
http://www.hitechcreations.com/ahgs/minimums.html

Performance is going to drop some due to the fix that corrected trees from being dropped from rendering.  There is no way around that.

I would like to know what was suggested to you that caused the lockup of Vista.  Unless it is a bug in the operating system related to laptops, which it could be, there is nothing that we would suggest that would have any effect such as that.

The only risky suggestion would be the sticky in this forum about improving performance for Vista.  That list has been beat to death by desktop users with minor issues.  It is also noted to be risky.

Keep in mind that the same hardware running Vista is going to be about 25 to 30% slower than the same thing running Windows XP.  It is possible to get a faster computer and have it run slower than before.  I cannot count how many times I hear the phrase, "My previous XP box was faster!  What's wrong with your game?!?!".  Not sure why people do not understand Vista is a huge resource hog.  It is general knowledge.

The video card in your laptop is a very low end chip and is going to suffer performance issues.  Remeber, laptops are all about saving power.  You can buy laptops with high performance video chips in them, but at the cost of very short battery life and very high costs.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com