Author Topic: Cutting your engine: Valid tactic or Gaming the Game?  (Read 13455 times)

Offline Anodizer

• Silver Member
Cutting your engine: Valid tactic or Gaming the Game?
« on: June 21, 2008, 01:01:23 PM »
So, here I am, lined up perfectly on the tail of this LA in lead pursuit.  Got the angle but have no 20mm left and one of my 50's is hit and not operational.  But I'm close enough to do some damage at least.  So, I'm throttled down, ready for the attempt at an over shoot..
Then suddenly, the LA drops behind as if they ran into something (not a warp).  As he's passing by, I hear his doing the chug chug as it was just shut down, then I hear it start again when he gets behind me..  Luckily I was going faster than him, throttled up, hit wep, and climbed away until a squadie saved my butt just in time. :rock  I've seen this tactic before used in guys mainly with Yaks and never thought much of it until I began to do some research..

In a radial air-cooled engine, the starting process is extremely complicated figuring 10-15 steps before even engaging the starter..  Not to mention they had a phenomena called Hydraulic Lock after the engine was shut down..  Since radial engines use copious amounts of oil, the oil leaks into the cylinders after shut down and needs to be drained before a restart can be attempted.  THIS CANNOT BE DONE WHILE IN THE AIR and requires a mechanic to perform.. 

As far as Liquid cooled in-line or Vee configured engines, I haven't researched that yet.. 

Just wondering what you guys thought..
I like classy, beautiful, intelligent woman that say the "F" word a lot....

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
Re: Cutting your engine: Valid tactic or Gaming the Game?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 01:12:05 PM »
I wouldn't call it gaming the game because the game lacks the realism of engine mechanics.  Gaming the game to me is using a known exploit excessively to achieve success.  We have to draw the line on realism.  If we were to provide the true realism of that raidal air cooled engine, imagine the exponential growth of 2 weekers asking for help on the issue.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline A8balls

• Copper Member
      • http://a8s.us
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 01:16:01 PM »
The engine continues to turn while in flight, just like the real thing, when the ignition is turned off. The engine continues to turn negating the oil drainage or any other "dead stop" characteristic of the engine.  The slowing of the plane occurs because the prop is now creating resistance (drag) instead of thrust. Just like in real life.  :salute
Aces & 8s Since 2006

Offline Roundeye

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 01:30:43 PM »
In real life, radial engines can be shut down and restarted in flight no problem.  On radials, hydraulic lock does not immediately occur on shut down.   It can occur after sitting a while and must be checked for as a precaution, thats why you see the ground crews pulling the blades through before startup...just to check for it. 

As far as game tactic, its not any different than chopping the throttle. (kinda wierd to me to kill it rather than reducing to idle though but to each his own)

« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 01:32:42 PM by Roundeye »
"Rotorhed"

Offline g00b

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 01:36:00 PM »
Actually your plane has more drag at idle than with the engine turned off. Turning your engine off in a dogfight is just dumb. The only valid tactic is for stealth. Gliding to sneak-attack a buff or GV is always fun.

Offline spit16nooby

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2008, 01:38:19 PM »
well i was going to say what goob said while typing on cellphone. so thanks for saving me the time.

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2008, 01:38:31 PM »
Someone from HTC posted about this a few years ago (Pyro, I think?). I believe the verdict was that it was no more effective than just pulling the throttle back to idle. Unrealistic? Sure. Gaming the game? Nope.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline jerkins

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2008, 01:38:45 PM »
Cutting the engine is a useless tactic and ive never seen it do more than simply chopping throttle.  If someone cuts their engine, im usually ready for an easy kill.
Jerkins
Strike Bandits
B~Smooth Xtreme Racing

Offline Rollins

• Silver Member
      • 4thFG
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2008, 01:43:06 PM »
Hub I think you're right, IIRC Widewing did some testing to prove the same.  No advantage to cutting engine, though I'm sure if you don't know any better you'd sure feel like a hot rod doin' it.  ;)
http://www.flamewarriors.net    Here kitty kitty...

Offline Urthona

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2008, 01:55:13 PM »
One thing to note is that the 'W" and "E" keys are right next to each other on the keyboard.  In the heat of a turn fight I have accidentally killed my engine on several occasions when I intended to retract flaps.
Earthdog
332nd Flying Mongrels

Offline Roundeye

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2008, 01:55:26 PM »
Turning your engine off in a dogfight is just dumb. The only valid tactic is for stealth. Gliding to sneak-attack a buff or GV is always fun.

I've heard of engine cutting for that reason, but that is nothing less than exploiting a flaw in the game.  I'm not saying its wrong to do because IMO, someone who is paying their own $14.95 a month can cut engines all they want.

But in the real world, you cannot hear another plane near you.  Your own plane's engine and wind noise is so loud, you couldn't hear a B-29 directly on your 6.  I've flown tight formation with another C-152 and you would not even know it was there unless you looked at it.

As far as sneaking up on GVs, no pilot in his right mind would SHUT DOWN his engine near the ground in the real world.   Thats onehelluva gamble.  It wouldn't be much quieter (if any) than the sound a diving plane with an idling engine makes anyway.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 02:06:15 PM by Roundeye »
"Rotorhed"

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2008, 02:04:42 PM »
As far as sneaking up on GVs, no pilot in his right mind would SHUT DOWN his engine near the ground.   Thats onehelluva gamble.  It wouldn't be much quieter (if any) than the sound a diving plane with an idling engine makes anyway.
I shut it down all the time while bombing GVs in my Ar.234. It's a valid tactic. Climb to 5K, and when you see a GV automatically shut off your engine, and start a dive, he'll never hear you coming.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Roundeye

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2008, 02:07:28 PM »
I shut it down all the time while bombing GVs in my Ar.234. It's a valid tactic. Climb to 5K, and when you see a GV automatically shut off your engine, and start a dive, he'll never hear you coming.

Fixed my text.  I meant in the real world.  Sure, it works in the game, but would do nothing in real life other than put you in danger.
"Rotorhed"

Offline g00b

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2008, 02:19:21 PM »
Can't find the source currently, but I guarentee "glide bombing" was actually used with effectiveness during WWII.

Fixed my text.  I meant in the real world.  Sure, it works in the game, but would do nothing in real life other than put you in danger.

Offline VansCrew1

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2008, 02:21:17 PM »
Why cut your engine when you can just reduce throttle?
Tour 79
Callsign: VansCrew

"The Ringer"