Author Topic: Okay, I REALLY need help with this one!  (Read 1253 times)

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
Okay, I REALLY need help with this one!
« on: July 07, 2008, 07:40:31 AM »
Alright, first off, this is almost a brand new computer. In other words, Ive had it for several months. The issue however, is with the monitor. Its an HPw2207 1680 x 1050 -60hz (or so the display says). Now, here is my issue. There is a button on the monitor that says auto adjust. This automatically "fixes" the screen. Well, about 3 months ago, I pressed that by accident, and it broke the screen. That is to say, from that day on, no matter what I did, the 5mm on the right of the screen were cut off in everything. I could live with this. Well, once more tonight I accidentally hit that button, and this time, its cut off the bottom! A LOT of the bottom! Ive tried manually adjusting it, but even when I move the picture the highest it will let me, there is almost no difference. Here is what I see on my end:

Note that there is black above all of the icons, and the toolbar is cut out. Now, I edited that image to mach what I actually see. However, if I just hit print screen on the desktop and paste it into pain, I get this (The toolbar at the bottom is expanded an extra level so I can actually see it):

I feel this is worth noting because it shows the COMPUTER thinks it is displaying the image properly. This is also evident in the fact that every time I hit the auto adjust button now, it maintains this layout. I can deal with the left or right being cut off. But the bottom is going to cause some issues both in Aces High and in everyday use. So, does anyone have any possible suggestions? (I am duplicating this post in the tech support forum in the hopes of getting further exposure and finding and answer to this ASAP.)

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
Re: Okay, I REALLY need help with this one!
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 07:41:32 AM »
Alright, first off, this is almost a brand new computer. In other words, Ive had it for several months. The issue however, is with the monitor. Its an HPw2207 1680 x 1050 -60hz (or so the display says). Now, here is my issue. There is a button on the monitor that says auto adjust. This automatically "fixes" the screen. Well, about 3 months ago, I pressed that by accident, and it broke the screen. That is to say, from that day on, no matter what I did, the 5mm on the right of the screen were cut off in everything. I could live with this. Well, once more tonight I accidentally hit that button, and this time, its cut off the bottom! A LOT of the bottom! Ive tried manually adjusting it, but even when I move the picture the highest it will let me, there is almost no difference. Here is what I see on my end:

Note that there is black above all of the icons, and the toolbar is cut out. Now, I edited that image to mach what I actually see. However, if I just hit print screen on the desktop and paste it into pain, I get this (The toolbar at the bottom is expanded an extra level so I can actually see it):

I feel this is worth noting because it shows the COMPUTER thinks it is displaying the image properly. This is also evident in the fact that every time I hit the auto adjust button now, it maintains this layout. I can deal with the left or right being cut off. But the bottom is going to cause some issues both in Aces High and in everyday use. So, does anyone have any possible suggestions? (I am duplicating this post in the hardware and software forum in the hopes of getting further exposure and finding and answer to this ASAP.)

Offline Speed55

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 08:43:55 AM »
"The lord loves a hangin', that's why he gave us necks." - Ren & Stimpy

Ingame- Ozone

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 08:48:24 AM »
I'm not exactly sure, but you should have the ability on your monitor (with the adjustment buttons and on-screen menu) to adjust the horizontal and vertical sizes to make the display bigger or smaller.  I think what happened when you pushed the auto-adjust button is the size changed to the default size for the resolution/refresh of your video signal.  Try adjusting the H-size and V-size to shrink your display so you can see everything again.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 10:05:24 AM »
Auto-size is just a best-guess by the hardware as to how to scale the pixels to display on the monitor best. If that doesn't work, try adjusting manually. Barring that (I'm not sure what kind of OSD controls you have) check in your video card control panel and play around with monitor scaling and/or screen shifting controls. You should be able to come up with something.

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 01:00:00 PM »
Do you have a way to reset to a "default" setting?  It has to have a way to unscrew screwups.

Reading the how to manual from the link Speed55 provided, it says you have a Main Menu option "Factory Reset".  It should set your screen to the factory defaults.  Adjust properties from Windows to suit.

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 01:05:14 PM »
Main menu option, Reset to Default.  Stop playing with buttons.  Buttons bad. 

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 01:55:48 PM »
Are you a Getback shade by chance?   ;)

-jk
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 03:12:34 PM »
Overlag is outside with the remote to your monitor messing with you.
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2008, 05:24:37 PM »
Are you a Getback shade by chance?   ;)

-jk

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

And I thought I was an original  :rock

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2008, 07:19:33 PM »
Might or might not work.

some things will reset themselves after they have been turned off and  unplugged for a short period of time.

Something els eyou might want ot try is turn it off. disconnect if from the computer. Then while its disconnected.
turn it back on.

you can also try hooking it up to another computer and lessintg it "auto adjust" to that one before reattaching it to your own
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 12:35:33 AM »
Like I said, I have done all I possibly can with the OSD manual adjust controls. ALL of the options it gives me are to automatically adjust to some preset. And none of them actually change anything. As to factory default, thats the FIRST thing I tried. It didn't change a thing.

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2008, 12:37:22 AM »
Ive reset it to factory default. Twice. No difference. Ive tried turning it off and unplugging it. No difference. I havnt tried the other computer thing, but I also dont have another computer to hook it to, so...

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2008, 06:38:21 AM »
you are using a DVI cable right? actually I'm pretty sure you're not, buy one and problem solved :aok
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 06:39:53 AM by RTHolmes »
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2008, 06:42:54 AM »
you are using a DVI cable right? actually I'm pretty sure you're not, buy one and problem solved :aok

You sure? I would hate to waste money i don't have...