Author Topic: Windows XP OEM COA  (Read 2531 times)

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Windows XP OEM COA
« on: September 08, 2008, 10:07:56 AM »
On the advise of someone else, when I bought the components for my new PC,  I ordered a copy of "Windows XP SP2C OEM"

Well, it didn't come with a "Certificate of Authority" with the product what to activate Windows with. How do I get this/do this, preferably without spending 2 hours on the phone with Microsoft's tech support in Bangladesh?

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
Re: Windows XP OEM COA
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 10:15:46 AM »
I don't know where you got your OEM copy. But the Product Keys and COA are included. They are attached to the shrink wrap around the disk and mini-manual that comes with the OEM version. Activation is automated once it's installed.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 10:19:48 AM by NHawk »
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 10:20:48 AM »
newegg.com

And no, it did not include either, and asks me for an activation code.

The mini-manual has a spot that says "The Certificate of Authority has been removed by your PC manufacturer and should be attached to your PC"
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 10:22:23 AM by BnZ »

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 10:26:00 AM »
newegg.com

And no, it did not include either, and asks me for an activation code.

The mini-manual has a spot that says "The Certificate of Authority has been removed by your PC manufacturer and should be attached to your PC"
That spot is where the product keys are. If it was in a sealed brown envelope when you got it, I'd look in the envelope. It might be stuck inside of it.
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline mipoikel

• Gold Member
      • http://www.llv32.org
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 10:28:23 AM »
There should be some of these:

If on-line activation doesnt work, just call MS phone activation, (and  its not 2 hour phonecall)

NOTE, there is NO ACTIVATION CODE in a package. You allways have to activate it On-line or by phone.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 10:32:31 AM by mipoikel »
I am a spy!

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 10:30:09 AM »
The OEM version I spoke of is the one in the lower right with a tag similar to the one on the lower left. And if he doesn't have that, he doesn't have the product keys to install it.

Offline mipoikel

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 10:33:30 AM »
The OEM version I spoke of is the one in the lower right with a tag similar to the one on the lower left. And if he doesn't have that, he doesn't have the product keys to install it.

Yep, but it looks like he already have it installed but activation is the problem.
I am a spy!

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 10:37:15 AM »
Yep, but it looks like he already have it installed but activation is the problem.
If that's the case, then he has the COA because that's the only place the installation keys are. Kind of a conundrum there.

Offline mipoikel

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 10:39:12 AM »
If hes missing product key, I would check the recycle bin. Wouldnt be the first time.... :)

And if its not there, I would call Newegg.
I am a spy!

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 10:47:08 AM »
It let me install and run windows without inputting any codes.

Offline mipoikel

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 10:55:48 AM »
It let me install and run windows without inputting any codes.

You had better call Newegg... and if they dont help you , tell you are going to call MS next and they propably help you asap.  :D
I am a spy!

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 12:04:31 PM »
I called newegg, who gave me a tech support number at Microsoft, at which point I got a woman who barely spoke English, who told me to call a number that was the same activation number I'd already called earlier. When I gave the product I.D. code from the activation window, it told me "It appears this copy of windows xp may have been shipped with an incorrect product I.D." or the like and to call my computer manufacturer. :mad: