Author Topic: Laptop  (Read 427 times)

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
Laptop
« on: February 13, 2009, 11:36:07 PM »
that would play this game decent. I really don't know much about computers. Anybody have an idea?
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: Laptop
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 10:38:38 AM »
Cyber Power has some good laptops at resonable prices. I've heard of a couple people who have used them and liked the service and the laptop they got.

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 11:06:59 AM »
Not trying to convert your decision here, for all I know you're probably buying a laptop for business purposes. However laptops are not good gaming machines and if you're trying to buy a new computer system destined for gaming you should buy a desktop. They are better at cooling and can hold parts which run faster than laptop components.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline Hoarach

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 03:26:34 PM »
Like Fugi said...Im one who has a cyberpower laptop.  Paid $750 for this laptop and I run AH on full graph detail and high res pack for nothing less than 50 FR.
Fringe
Nose Art
80th FS "Headhunters"

Secret Association of P38 Pilots

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 04:04:48 PM »
Not trying to convert your decision here, for all I know you're probably buying a laptop for business purposes.

Yeah, I'll be using it to do work on too. I allready have a Desktop, and I figured I'd buy myself a decent laptop, something that I can use when not at home.

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 04:05:51 PM »
Thanks Fugutive and Horach, extremely helpful. I appreciate your input aswell Denholm. It's nice you comeputer literate guys are helping us dumb dumbs out  :lol

Offline llama

• Silver Member
      • http://www.warrenernst.com/
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 04:13:39 PM »
I reviewed a Cyber Power high-end laptop last year. It had essentially the same specs as another Alienware gaming notebook I was also reviewing, but for a good $1200 less.

It was a little rough around the edges and reeked of "generic Chinese manufactured components" , but performed very well.

Generally, I think for the price you spend on a good "gaming notebook" you can get a good "gaming desktop" plus monitor, and then with the money saved get a $600 general-purpose notebook that, if you lose or damage, will still leave you with a working computer on your desk.

Or get a netbook for less money and for the ultimate in portability.

-Llama

Interesting server at 69.12.181.171

Offline Hoarach

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2009, 06:50:58 PM »
Cyberpower gets their laptops from MSI and clevo....

I remember when I asked about drivers and they gave me the link to download them from and it was right off the MSI website for my laptop.
Fringe
Nose Art
80th FS "Headhunters"

Secret Association of P38 Pilots

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2009, 07:11:30 PM »
It seems to me that as long as you get a 2 Gb minimum CPU, 3-4 Gb of RAM and a dedicated video card with at least 256 mb dedicated memory you should be able to run AH and there's a lot of choices with those specs in the $700-800 range.  If you buy in that range watch the bus and RAM speeds closely as they vary by wide margins.  Faster is better.

I'd personally be looking for a full keyboard too with an actual num pad but that's just me.  I'm not too big on laptop keyboards even though I have one.  The downside is the laptop will be bigger and heavier.

Of course if you spend more you'll get more.  In the $1000-1200 range you can really get a very nice machine.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2009, 08:45:07 PM »
I reviewed a Cyber Power high-end laptop last year. It had essentially the same specs as another Alienware gaming notebook I was also reviewing, but for a good $1200 less.

It was a little rough around the edges and reeked of "generic Chinese manufactured components" , but performed very well.

Generally, I think for the price you spend on a good "gaming notebook" you can get a good "gaming desktop" plus monitor, and then with the money saved get a $600 general-purpose notebook that, if you lose or damage, will still leave you with a working computer on your desk.

Or get a netbook for less money and for the ultimate in portability.

-Llama

I agree, but when you have to travel, a desktop really isn't an option. I used my work laptop, and while it wasn't anything special, I could get it to run AH half decent. FR was on the low side, but at least I could get my fix  :aok

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2009, 07:59:29 AM »
AH runs great on my old HP laptop. It has a single core 1,86ghz cpu, 2gig ram and a radeon x600 gpu with 64mb onborard memory. I use windows 7 beta.

AH is easy to run and even if a desktop if prolly "better" there is no need for a beefy laptop to play. If you plan on hooking it up to an external display with high resolution then its another matter. You will need something expensive.