Author Topic: BEST pure DOGFIGHTER in WWII  (Read 8562 times)

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Re: BEST pure DOGFIGHTER in WWII
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2009, 10:40:55 AM »
Um....VMF IS a fighter squadron.

And IMO, you have to factor in the tactics because it's virtually impossible to separate tactics from dogfighting.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Patches1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2009, 11:26:04 AM »
V = Fixed Wing
M = Marine
F = Fighter

V = Fixed Wing
F = Fighter

VF   = U S Navy
VMF = U S M C

When you load Fighters up with Bombs and Rockets...they become Fighter/Bombers...Fighters first, Bombers second.

The F4U Series of aircraft flew this mission well.

The F4U-4 flew this mission exceptionally well.

"We're surrounded. That simplifies the problem."- Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, General, USMC

Offline Patches1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2009, 11:28:04 AM »
In Europe...the P47 probably fullfilled the roll of the F4U series
"We're surrounded. That simplifies the problem."- Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, General, USMC

Offline Patches1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2009, 11:34:12 AM »

Oh...an aside...since General Marshall did not want any Marines in Europe, having been usurped by the Marines in WWI, he declined the Marines' offer to assist in the European Theater in WWII.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2009, 11:51:09 AM »
That's what killed Project Danny (Marine F4Us using Tiny Tims to take out V1 sites).
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2009, 12:17:45 PM »
1) speed
2) range
3) effective firepower

These are the attributes that always control the fight. In the end the faster plane is the only one that can employ its tactics of choice. Thats why in a 1 on 1 given equal pilots the 109 owns the spitfire....all the time every time even though the spitty is clearly the better "dog fighter". Range provides operational flexibility and can offer tactical advantage. Effective firepower goes beyond the guns on board and includes cockpit ergonomics, views, ammo load out, gun sight etc.

When you take all these things into consideration one plane stands out....the Pony. I remember watching one of these "best fighter" shows (history channel?) and a Luftwaffe ace made a telling comment. It wasn't the ponies capabilities compared to the 109 that made it special...it's that it was doing it over Berlin or words to that effect.

Now within the plane set the F4U-4 is clearly the superior plane, but leaving that aside a man in a pony has nothing to fear but a better pilot.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2009, 12:59:59 PM »
Brewster B-239.
Best K/D :rock

BlauKreuz - Lentolaivue 34      

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2009, 01:10:39 PM »
"Pure" dogfighter, no categories or time periods?  I'd have to say the 163 by far.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2009, 01:17:47 PM »
"Pure" dogfighter, no categories or time periods?  I'd have to say the 163 by far.

Outside of range yes, what was the attrition rate for landing?, I know the 262 had significant loses...given the 163's very limited range I'd say that its a very vulnerable bird. However if a 163 could have been fitted with a single jet engine I think it might have been a very formidable fighter even at a lower speed. Easily the best airframe of the war IMO.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2009, 01:23:56 PM »
I don't think the Me163 could really "dogfight" in the traditional sense at all, so no.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Sox62

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2009, 01:36:14 PM »
It seems to me that we need to define what dogfighting is.The discussion is best dogfighter,not best turner.Using E and going vertical is no different than turning.It's employing your fighter's strengths to exploit another fighters weakness.

The fact that that F4U can't match the Zero in the one thing it does well doesn't make the Zero a better "dogfighter" imho.

Offline Rebel

• Nickel Member
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2009, 01:50:49 PM »
I'd have to say the KI-84, the Zero, the Hellcat and the Spitfire.  Best at doing everything a fighter really needs to do.

Hellcat is kind of a special case- it's "good" but not great at everything, which is what makes it cool :)
"You rebel scum"

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2009, 02:28:14 PM »
1) speed
2) range
3) effective firepower

When you take all these things into consideration one plane stands out....the Pony.

I'm all teary eyed from reading this. *sniff*

My pony is getting some love.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2009, 02:53:57 PM »
I don't think the Me163 could really "dogfight" in the traditional sense at all, so no.
Well, look at the criteria here.. The 163 is so good that it's the exception to even this absolute comparison.  It outturns, out guns, out maneuvers and out thrusts everything.  Otherwise, I'd say the 262.  It decides the fights' outcome. 
I think you guys need to constrain this comparison a little more, otherwise the late war optimized air superiority designs make any of the capable approaches like the Zero just benign.  The same way the paradigm later shifted to pushing buttons to kill things before they're even visible to the naked eye.

Put Germany and the allies back in WWII, and make it a purely dogfighting war.  No attrition by carpet bombing or ground warfare or anything. The Komet just wipes the floor with everything, given 1:1 odds, IMO.  This comparison needs better criteria if you're going to rule out the 163.

And making Speed, Range, Firepower the criteria still doesn't rule out the 262 as an arguable alternative to the P51.  I also think the Tempest and maybe F4U4 (I've never flown the latter above 25k) beat it on these criteria.  The P47N flown that high up is probably also a contender.  None of them compare with the 163, though.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 03:01:58 PM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2009, 03:02:13 PM »
Best prop fighter. :P ;)
See Rule #4