Author Topic: P51-D vs F4U-4 & P38-L  (Read 18154 times)

Offline HellFire

• Copper Member
P51-D vs F4U-4 & P38-L
« on: March 04, 2009, 12:19:42 AM »
I've read articles regarding the 3 airplanes listed under Subject, & noticed quite a few similarities between the planes.   Would someone who's an expert & familiar with the a/c in question, make & post the following films for our perusal, pls?

(1)  P51-D vs F4u-4     (2)  P51-D vs P38-L   (3) F4U-4 vs P38-L

I've searched our bulletin board and in "Films" & found the subjects mentioned
missing.   Would any of the experienced trainers acquiesce to this request?  TY.
"In life there is certain death, and between life and death
  there is a journey, hence in truth nothing is lost in death."

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: P51-D vs F4U-4 & P38-L
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 01:27:56 AM »
P-51D vs. P-38L with equal pilots, unless the P-51D is going to Boom and Zoom with a significant energy and altitude advantage, the P-38L is going to win.  In a co-Energy fight, the P-38L will be able to gain the advantage by keeping the fight in the vertical, where it excels far better than the Mustang.  If the P-51D tries to turn, the P-38L again has the edge. 

Basically, the best chance is for the P-51D to come in fast from an altitude advantage and try and BnZ or if you're like most P-51 drivers, wait until the Lighting is engaged with another bandit and then come in for the pick.

The P-51D driver also has to be careful when he makes his high speed passes.  The good P-38 drivers will know how to wear you down and bleed enough of your energy to either steal the advantage from you and match your energy state and get you as you go vertical or force you into a turn fight and get you that way.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 07:43:43 AM »
F4U-4
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 10:15:36 AM »
As a pure dogfighter in a co alt co E situation with equal pilots, the P-38L is easily the equal to the P-51. The F4U-4 is an entirely different subject, that plane is likely the best piston engine prop driven fighter built. The combination of excellent HP and an efficient prop is difficult to beat. The F4U-4 is what the P-38K would have been.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 10:20:29 AM »
The F4u-4 was the best WW2 prop fighter ever built, I think the F6F-6 would have been a monster as well. The Bearcat trumps even the -4.
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 11:35:52 AM »
The F4u-4 was the best WW2 prop fighter ever built, I think the F6F-6 would have been a monster as well. The Bearcat trumps even the -4.

i thought the bearcat was an F8F?
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 11:57:10 AM »
i thought the bearcat was an F8F?

it is, F6F is the Hellcat.

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 12:07:18 PM »

Well, yeah, I left a little bit of room there, didn't I? To be more clear, the F4U-4 is the best piston engine prop driven fighter to see actual serious combat. The F8F is actually a World War II piston engine prop driven fighter. As is the F7F. But neither saw real serious combat, if any combat at all. Wasn't their fault the enemy was already done. Sort of like the fact that it was not Lockheed's fault that the WPB and the USAAF couldn't see the real potential of the P-38K. I've always wondered what the P-38K could have done with a four blade version of that prop.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 03:04:52 PM »
Well, yeah, I left a little bit of room there, didn't I? To be more clear, the F4U-4 is the best piston engine prop driven fighter to see actual serious combat. The F8F is actually a World War II piston engine prop driven fighter. As is the F7F. But neither saw real serious combat, if any combat at all. Wasn't their fault the enemy was already done. Sort of like the fact that it was not Lockheed's fault that the WPB and the USAAF couldn't see the real potential of the P-38K. I've always wondered what the P-38K could have done with a four blade version of that prop.

The same Curtis Electric prop with four blades would likely not fit on the aircraft.  Clearance would be an issue.

I'd like to see the 38 with Merlins and the cuffed blades of the Mustang.  The drop in weight from removing the turbo's and equipment with additional streamlining from removing the intercoolers.  That'd be badarse imho.
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009, 03:16:49 PM »
Clearance would be an issue.

Why would clearance be an issue? The diameter of the prop would remain the same.
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2009, 03:49:59 PM »
Why would clearance be an issue? The diameter of the prop would remain the same.

NOT  that i should go here......

but since it was asked about ingame........i've had a well flown p47 give me fits in my 38J. i think it was n72. was surprised to see him in an american ride....and VERY surprised a p47 outperformed me in a slow speed turnfight.

ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2009, 05:41:21 PM »
Yeah, the "wt F ?!?!" factor is higher with some guys in the Jug. Fit ter give me conniptions.
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2009, 05:49:37 PM »
and VERY surprised a p47 outperformed me in a slow speed turnfight.

It shouldn't.  Only reason it did is that somewhere along the line you messed up.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2009, 06:02:13 PM »
The same Curtis Electric prop with four blades would likely not fit on the aircraft.  Clearance would be an issue.

I'd like to see the 38 with Merlins and the cuffed blades of the Mustang.  The drop in weight from removing the turbo's and equipment with additional streamlining from removing the intercoolers.  That'd be badarse imho.

I was talking about a 4 blade version of the 3 blade Hamilton Standard Paddle prop used on the P-38K. They raised the gear box up and raised the centerline of the prop shaft to make it fit the P-38.

According to the study Lockheed did, the Merlin would add weight, not remove it. At least that's what Warren Bodie said, and he had access to the original study.

SaVaGe

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2009, 06:19:26 PM »
It shouldn't.  Only reason it did is that somewhere along the line you messed up.

ack-ack

yea...i figured that...it was a rare occasion i didn't have film running.......which sucked for me.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"