Author Topic: Flaps in a Rope?  (Read 595 times)

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
Flaps in a Rope?
« on: April 10, 2009, 11:31:32 PM »
Should i use flaps in a rope or not, if so when?
Strokes

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
Re: Flaps in a Rope?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 12:04:32 AM »
It should usually only be worth it at the very top when you really need to delay the reverse as long as possible.  Or on the way up a very slow rope where you need to stay above the guy at the bottom, e.g. force him into giving up and turning tail or baiting him into stalling out.

For the reverse it depends on the planes and the setup. What you need to picture is what will get you where you need to be when you need to be.. It could be that you need to nose over asap for a shot, or to come down as fast as possible (e.g. the bandit trying to disengage sooner than expected).
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 02:50:23 AM »
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline trotter

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 02:52:02 AM »
What moot said.

+

sometimes illusions can be more important than reality. I often use flaps at the top of a rope if I know
a) I can't sustain normal climb enough to complete the rope
b) The bandit is not aware of my E state

Using flaps can keep my nose up a little longer, and can sometimes discourage the bandit (he thinks you have more E than you do, by how long you've kept your nose up) and this forces him to nose down in conservatism. At this point, nose down yourself and retract flaps, and it's just as if you roped successfully, with a bit harder of a shot, but still.

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 02:53:19 AM »
It should usually only be worth it at the very top when you really need to delay the reverse as long as possible.  Or on the way up a very slow rope where you need to stay above the guy at the bottom, e.g. force him into giving up and turning tail or baiting him into stalling out.

For the reverse it depends on the planes and the setup. What you need to picture is what will get you where you need to be when you need to be.. It could be that you need to nose over asap for a shot, or to come down as fast as possible (e.g. the bandit trying to disengage sooner than expected).

What he said...

Also keep in mind that flaps come with a drag penalty, which can be detrimental if you're trying to out-zoom your opponent.  So, like any other manuever, using them wrong will hurt you, using them right will help you.  Each situation is a little different, so it'll really come down to how well you can read each situation.

I use flaps almost every time I reverse over the top, but delay deploying them as long as possible on a zoom.  I'll drop them for my reversal, but put them back up the instant my nose drops below the horizon.
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexMurphy

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 04:21:46 AM »
I like to use flaps at top as well as it gives me a bit more control of the reversal. Also if my enemy is stalled and hanging as result of the rope I do like to keep them out a little bit longer to give me a slower and more controlled acceleration into the shot.

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 10:22:21 AM »
Thanks for the help guys. <S> :salute
Strokes

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2009, 02:17:24 AM »

+1, what lord m00t said. :aok

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."