Author Topic: bug completely crashes game  (Read 394 times)

Offline AKHog

• Nickel Member
bug completely crashes game
« on: May 12, 2009, 01:13:15 PM »
This has happened several times to me now.

While in flight I adjust my ground range viz and the game crashes. I can adjust this all day to all different settings normally without problems, but sometimes it just doesn't work.

The really frustrating part is I can't get the game to work again without reloading. I can get the opening screen and clipboard but as soon as I select an arena the game crashes again. I must completely uninstall and reinstall to play again.
The journey is the destination.

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
Re: bug completely crashes game
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 03:25:33 PM »
What view are you changing from?  My first thought is your computer is struggling with the extra, short range items rendered in Ground View.

Ground View is no longer the system resource saving view it once was.  Although it limits the long range rendering of objects, it also renders every tree, bush, and sheep in view.

Ever since something "broke" in my computer, my ground view frame rate, and frame rate close to lots of trees, is in the single digits.

The only reason I can figure you need to reinstall the game is because you are now on ground view, which locks up your computer, and you cannot even start up because it is using all of your computer's resources.

This sounds more like a Technical problem and someone will want to see your dxdiag to see if it is a problem with your computer.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline AKHog

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 05:09:04 PM »
No I'm pretty sure this is a bug in the game.

I'm aware of the ground view and its issues. Normally I have my graphic detail -> ground vis range set very low. I'll use shift+f4 to set it to ground view quickly to spot gv's, and it does kill my frame rate, but its still playable. But sometimes when I'm specifically hunting GV's from the air, I'll go into graphic detail -> ground vis range and set it somewhere in the middle, giving me a much better frame rate but still enough range to see gv's far enough away to line up.

The last time this issue happened was after one of these anti GV flights, I was re-upping for air cap and went into graphic detail to set ground range to minimum. As soon as I let the slider go the game crashed. I was going from a more demanding graphic to less demanding, so its not my system performance. This has happened to me a number of times in the past too, all while adjusting that setting.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 09:39:13 AM »
Need to see a DXDIAG.  Also, try clearing out your 'cache' and 'skins' folders in the game.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline AKHog

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 10:33:23 AM »
Need to see a DXDIAG.  Also, try clearing out your 'cache' and 'skins' folders in the game.

Can you give me some more info? How/when to run DXDIAG? And as far as cache and skins, this has happened on a fairly fresh install and I never download skins.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 10:57:15 AM »
Start->Run->DXDIAG

Save the information to a text file and email it to me.

More information.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 11:00:30 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Nwbie

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 09:17:59 AM »
That used to happen to me before i swapped out my vid card

It would work again if I deleted the video8.cfg file in the AH folder before i started game - also - it seemed to make a difference if i defragged regularly. If it is a vid problem, I had less problems when i set the video settings to lower end and did not pre-load anything in memory..

Skuzzy-- "Facts are slowly becoming irrelevant in favor of the nutjob."