Author Topic: Fiat G.55 I centauro  (Read 11823 times)

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
Re: Fiat G.55 I centauro
« Reply #150 on: August 29, 2014, 04:41:47 AM »
Why do you think it would be the next a6m? I mean, the wing loading is a good deal higher at about 8200lbs/227sf. The zero has less than half the all up weight and more wing area.

Don't get me wrong, I think, given its speed, firepower, and wing loading, it'll be a highly viable lw bird -and I want it-but it's not going to be the turny bird the zero is...
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline jolly22

• Silver Member
« Reply #151 on: August 29, 2014, 04:58:01 PM »
Why do you think it would be the next a6m? I mean, the wing loading is a good deal higher at about 8200lbs/227sf. The zero has less than half the all up weight and more wing area.

Don't get me wrong, I think, given its speed, firepower, and wing loading, it'll be a highly viable lw bird -and I want it-but it's not going to be the turny bird the zero is...

Usage wise, sorry. Should have clarified.

3./JG 53 cheerleader - Battle Over The Winter Line - FLY AXIS - JRjolly

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #152 on: August 29, 2014, 07:58:09 PM »
I'm thinking, with the three kanonen, the top speed, and the wing loading, this thing might be awfully g-10 ish, only better in turn. Of course, lots of people thought that about the Yak-3, too.

If they'd just gimme a g-14/as or a g-10, I'd be happy, but no... Because eny is too low on both, probably, and I like to fly junk.
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #153 on: August 30, 2014, 09:12:53 PM »
The G.55 was a really good fighter in 1943. Its hallmark was being better than the 109G-6. It would be average/mediocre in the LW main.

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #154 on: August 30, 2014, 11:40:44 PM »
The G.55 was a really good fighter in 1943. Its hallmark was being better than the 109G-6. It would be average/mediocre in the LW main.

Serie I had 3x20mil, 2x12.7, a top speed of 417 with wep, and a wing loading of about 34 psf. That looks like a competitive set of numbers -certainly an interesting set. G.56 supposedly ups the top speed to something like 440mph but wasn't produced. I'd love to have it and see how it stacks. It sure would be a fun add for Med scenarios -in tiny numbers, of course. Along with numerous Beaus...

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #155 on: August 31, 2014, 01:10:23 AM »
To be blunt, whenever I see requests for things like the G.55, obscure things that had essentially no role in the war I am pretty sure it is just being asked for because it might be "uber" and the requestee has no real interest in the aircraft or its history.

Direct hit.

...Yes let's have the C.200 which saw a ton of service and not another late war fighter with a quote about how many were built to deflect the # that actually saw any service or combat (which is always puny).
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #156 on: August 31, 2014, 09:35:36 AM »
Perhaps a CR42 as well... That c200 reminds me a lot of a ki-43 on paper, though the ki is a little faster. Still, similar armament and nice low wing loading s... The c200 would probably be a nicely turny bird.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 09:41:21 AM by PJ_Godzilla »

Offline jolly22

• Silver Member
« Reply #157 on: August 31, 2014, 10:55:35 AM »
Direct hit.

...Yes let's have the C.200 which saw a ton of service and not another late war fighter with a quote about how many were built to deflect the # that actually saw any service or combat (which is always puny).

I somewhat agree with that statement, but to a certain degree. (The Ta-152 for instance, only 40 some produced i believe) This game needs variety. Having an Italian fighter that fought against American bombers with 2 squadrons would be a decent addition. I legitimately believe this aircraft could be a favorite.

3./JG 53 cheerleader - Battle Over The Winter Line - FLY AXIS - JRjolly