Author Topic: 2.142 alternate download problem  (Read 322 times)

Offline peterg2

• Copper Member
2.142 alternate download problem
« on: July 30, 2009, 10:40:14 PM »
Downloaded 2.142 from alternate site. Launched the installer. It wanted to install in C:\Hitech Creations\Aces High instead of the usual C:programs... locations.

Anyway, after launching the game, I get the splash screen gui, with the inability to control the mouse pointer. It seems as though the game is running at 1 frame every 10 seconds. The only way to exit from the gui is to Alt-F4. That's as far as I got... the gui screen.

The game did not load a short-cut as advertised. My old shortcut on the desktop launched the old 2.13p1 Aces still on my machine.

Is there a problem with the alternate self contained download or the alternate download site version?

Do I need to clear all old version of Aces off of my system? Where is the game supposed to reside on the computer? Where is the default directory supposed to be? What are the minimum specs for this version?

After 7 years of loading versions, this is really more than disappointing. The game should still be in Alpha, never mind Beta.

Offline peterg2

• Copper Member
Re: 2.142 alternate download problem
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 11:22:49 PM »
In the past, I've been an in-house beta tester for 3 retail PC fight sims. I know all about CTW's, Hard locks, accert errors, blue screens of deaths, video card driver probs, video and sound hardware probs, sorting probs, MIP map probs, CPU compatiblily, Windows version probs, etc. It's bascially a 2-3 month bug hunt and kill exercise for 6-10 people before Beta goes Gold and release to the general public.

We're doing the Beta testing whether we like it or not, at our expense. It doesn't exactly sit too well with me.

A new patch and release is good. The old 2.131 was getting rather stale. But, man... work out most of the bugs before release, even if you need to hire a few in-house beta testers or contract out to a beta test house.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 06:06:36 AM »
Ok so now that you got that off your chest...where's your dxdiag info so the nice folks at HTC can attempt to give you some assistance?
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 06:28:50 AM »
The new version's default installation path has been permanently changed due to the problems Vista and Windows 7 users face running any application out of the "Program Files" folder.

If you do a full install, instead of a patch, then you should have removed the od version before installing the new full version.

This version of the game had been in open Beta testing for a month or so.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline peterg2

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 12:36:39 PM »
Thanks Skuzy. Will try the unload and reload.

You may want to mention that, in any install instructions along with min specs.

I sure wish you guys would be more specific on major patch release dates. "Soon" isn't very specific.

Coming home to a surprise debug project, after working on debugging software problems all day, is ... well, it can get very upsetting.