Author Topic: NEED HELP  (Read 978 times)

Offline xxIENAxx

• Copper Member
NEED HELP
« on: September 01, 2009, 09:22:29 AM »
Hi Guys,
i have a problem with my wife's pc.
The moment i plug the power into it, the fan goes on for sometime (fm 20 sec to 1 min), then it stops and the pc close down. After sometime it starts again, same as before, fan goes on then it stops and pc close down. And it goes on and on till i plug the pc off.
It worked till yesterday evening, she worked on it, closed it without any problems. This morning when we woke up, we found the problem.
It's an old pc, maybe 6 or 7 years old, she uses it only to surf on the net,write documents or working her pictures. One month ago she had a virus on it, got it repaired, added some RAM( fm 512 to 1 GB, after suggestion from the tecnician), the guy said the pc was good enough for what she uses it.I would like to save her pictures/documents if possible. We don't know much about pc so any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

xxIENAxx
367th "Dynamite Gang"
In game name IENA since Tour 59

Offline Nwbie

• Gold Member
Re: NEED HELP
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 09:30:03 AM »
Try Hardware and software bbs folder - more luck there
Skuzzy-- "Facts are slowly becoming irrelevant in favor of the nutjob."

Offline xxIENAxx

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 09:42:22 AM »
Try Hardware and software bbs folder - more luck there

I tought that folder should be use only for problems related to the game and not "private".

xxIENAxx
367th "Dynamite Gang"

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 09:44:55 AM »
I tought that folder should be use only for problems related to the game and not "private".

xxIENAxx

so "Open forum for the general discussion of Aces High." is more appropriate for non-AH hardware related topics? ;)

I think you can use Hardware forum for your problem. The only real alternative would be Oclub, not Aces High General Discussion

« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 09:46:32 AM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline LYNX

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 09:51:41 AM »
OK ...had a similar problem on another PC of ours.  Turned out to be a fault RAM stick.  Suggest you check the stick is seated correctly.  If it is try using the old stick to see if problem gets solved.  If it does you'll know it's the new ram stick being faulty.

Our problem was constant unexpected restarts.  Could crash inside 5 min or after 2 hrs.  Pisser if you ain't saved your stuff.

P.S  wrong forum   :aok
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 09:55:00 AM by LYNX »

Offline xxIENAxx

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 09:54:37 AM »
so "Open forum for the general discussion of Aces High." is more appropriate for non-AH hardware related topics? ;)

I think you can use Hardware forum for your problem. The only real alternative would be Oclub, not Aces High General Discussion

I'm sorry, i posted it in the Oclub, Is there a way i can cancell it from this forum?
Ty LYNX i'll try that.

xxIENAxx
367th "Dynamite Gang"

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 09:58:01 AM »

xxIENAxx

From your description, you have not mentioned anything about it not running the game ... it's her PC and all she does is ... uses it only to surf on the net,write documents or working her pictures

It sounds like you have an overheating problem. I had a similar problem on my ThinkPad and what I ended up doing was taking the keyboard off to get access to the fan area and blow it out with canned air to get out all the dust that may have accumulated (in the last 7 years) in the heat sink and fan intake areas. After that, the computer has been running very cool and I have had no problems.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Wobbly

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 10:01:33 AM »
power supply on the way out?
Game ID: Blimey

Offline Rebel

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 10:04:57 AM »
unplug power to the unit, then reseat every single power connection, checking for dust in the pins.  If so, blow it out. 

After that, reseat your RAM stick, and ensure a proper seat. 

Then doublecheck the little connectors on the corner of the board (the ones for the power switch and what not)- make sure they're all seated properly by reseating 'em one at a time. 

Finally, take a look at your power supply.  If there's a ton of dust, take it outside and give it a good shot with a can of compressed air. 

That should take care of it.
"You rebel scum"

Offline Viperius

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 10:08:32 AM »
Is there any output on the monitor at all?

Defective Power Supply or Motherboard or CPU most probably if there is no output at all.

Check if all power connections are properly plugged and check if the CPU Fan has become loose.

Overheating would be highly unlikely since you said that it worked fine before.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 10:11:43 AM by Viperius »

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009, 10:22:13 AM »
Could be many things but I am leaning towards ram seating problem since that was replaced recently. I would not think it is a dust problem since a tech was inside recently.

With the machine unplugged open it up. Touch the metal frame to be sure your not static charged. Static is electronic parts worst nightmare. Then release the RAM sticks and reseat them one by one. Be sure the little clips close all the way. Then close the box plug in and check it again.

If your not sure what your ram looks like you can probably ask the kid next door..... you'd be surprised what the young'uns know these days.

Post to let us know if that fixes the problem. If not we can troubleshoot more.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2009, 10:30:17 AM »
Sounds like the fan is stopping first, then it's shutting down.  Many PC's will run the fan on full during startup then cut it back till needed.  If that's what it's doing, then that is normal.  It sounds like a heat issue to me too.  Blow the crud out of that thing and see if it works.  I'm thinking that a badly seated ram stick would cause an issue before Windows started.

Could be many things but I am leaning towards ram seating problem since that was replaced recently. I would not think it is a dust problem since a tech was inside recently.

Post to let us know if that fixes the problem. If not we can troubleshoot more.

LOL, you really think they will clean it when they install the new ram?  Only happens if you take it to a buddy to do the repairs.  I've never heard of Best Buy blowing out a box.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 10:32:08 AM by Dragon »
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2009, 10:33:27 AM »

LOL, you really think they will clean it when they install the new ram?  Only happens if you take it to a buddy to do the repairs.  I've never heard of Best Buy blowing out a box.

Did he say he took it to bestbuy?
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline DMBEAR

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • JG2 Richtofen
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2009, 10:47:32 AM »
We need a pic of the wife so that we can get a better handle on the situation.   :cool:

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2009, 10:52:53 AM »
I would not think it is a dust problem since a tech was inside recently.

Fan and heat sink are no where near where a tech would install new RAM and then think to blow out the crud.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."