Author Topic: P-38 kill ratio...out of whack.  (Read 53414 times)

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
Re: P-38 kill ratio...out of whack.
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2009, 10:55:03 AM »
Vinkman,there are several things your over looking in your assessment of the 38.

First,the counter rotating props offer a huge advantage in a stall,second, while not the highest P/W ratio your not figuring in the drag,which is very low.Then theres the weight which adds to the 38's inertia giving it a great zoom climb ability.

Personal at 1 time I did use dual throttle but found it was more work that it was worth and rarely use it today.

And lastly as has been said"the quality of pilots",now I wont begin to say that every pilot who flies her is a top stick the few that are can really skew the planes stats.I'm sure if you took the time to look up all the guys who fly the 38 "exclusively"you'd find that most would be above average but only a few would be "top tier" and those few have the greatest affect on the 38's K/D ratio.

:salute

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2009, 10:58:30 AM »
+1

With planes not being part of the MA "mainstream" a small number of dedicated pilots can and will have a huge impact on K/D's. With rare planes like 109F or Hurri I, I have managed to have quite an impact all by myself alone. At times, the 152's K/D rocketed into orbit when a few talented guys where flying it almost exclusively, 3 players alone having about 50% of all kills in it.

Lusche, I get that. but this is less about good sticks, as it is about good sticks using a the same move over and over. Well it seems to me, because that's how I keep getting whacked. So I'm posting this to see if others experiencing same one trick death, or I'm the only guy who can't figure out how not get roped by a good 38 pilot.
Who is John Galt?

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2009, 11:01:48 AM »
The reason your seeing it so much is because, get ready, it works!!

Go to the TA and ask one of the trainers to show you how to counter it.

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result.

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2009, 11:02:16 AM »
This theory has been pretty much discredited. "Weight" is not actually a significant positive factor in zooming...high thrust and low drag are the two most important positives. There was a long thread, in Help and Training I believe, where the smart aero guys demonstrated the math. Turns out starting speed was the single most important factor for what aircraft zooms highest, when we're talking WWII prop fighters.

In my practical tests, from 400mph OTD, you get the almost identical zooms out of a Jug, Corsair, Pony, 109, Spit so on and so forth. The only one that averaged a little better was the 38, and that I attribute to torqulessness allowing one to hold the nose higher just a little longer....same thing that makes it such a good roper.

Your not mis-judging its speed, your mis-judging its energy.

They are related but different, energy level depends on a few factors. 18,000 lbs of mass traveling at 250 mph has more energy than 9,000lbs at the same speed. Of course this is a bit generic but it gives you an idea. Many dont realize it but one of the best vertical zoom planes in the game is the A-20. Pound for pound it will convert airspeed into altitude better than near every other plane. On paper it looks like a mundane twin engine bomber, much like the B-38!

What you need to realize is the P-38 is very good at converting its energy into altitude.

Strip
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 11:07:21 AM by BnZs »
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2009, 11:04:30 AM »
have you played AH for more than ayear? have you flown yor particularly favorite plane from 6 months to a year none stop, and learned it through and through?

just last night, I was in an F4U-1 and had a Ta-152 trying to rope me, then along comes another Bishop in a P38-L....I played my cards right to where I knew the Ta-152 was gonna stall out before me when he went vertical and that the P38-L was gonna stall out right below me roughly 800 to 600 out...they both got smoking engines in the same vertical manuever they tried to set me up on........kind of funny, but was well worth the adrenaline rush to boot

Very cool :aok  I assume the 38 wsn't one of SAPP guys :D

I'm hoping to learn from film, which mught be faster than learning the hardway in MA.  ;)
Who is John Galt?

Offline MjTalon

• Gold Member
      • 82nd FG Home
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2009, 11:05:16 AM »
It's not so much as using the same maneuver over and over. It's utilizing the P-38's strength which is vertical performance. That's like saying you're tired of getting beat by a spitfire who just uses the yank in gut maneuver until he gets guns on you.

S.A.P.P.
Cavalier - 82nd F.G
Group Commanding Officer

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2009, 11:06:24 AM »
Well it seems to me, because that's how I keep getting whacked. So I'm posting this to see if others experiencing same one trick death, or I'm the only guy who can't figure out how not get roped by a good 38 pilot.

everyone that plays this game long enough will be shot down due to getting ROPED......... regardless if it is a 38 plane shooting you down or a a6m2.........

as said already, their are a good handful of 38 pilot groupies in this game  :D
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2009, 11:06:37 AM »
I did not state weight is a factor in zooming...it does however have a direct impact on kinetic energy.

Offline shreck

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2009, 11:09:35 AM »
P38s are "head and shoulders" above all planes except maybe the corsairs, especially in 1v1 match-ups!

BIG WING, GREAT FLAPS, SUPERB E RETENTION etc. etc.  don't be fooled by its size and poor views! It truely is "top of the line"  :aok :aok

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2009, 11:10:02 AM »
Vinkman,there are several things your over looking in your assessment of the 38.

First,the counter rotating props offer a huge advantage in a stall,second, while not the highest P/W ratio your not figuring in the drag,which is very low.Then theres the weight which adds to the 38's inertia giving it a great zoom climb ability.

Personal at 1 time I did use dual throttle but found it was more work that it was worth and rarely use it today.

And lastly as has been said"the quality of pilots",now I wont begin to say that every pilot who flies her is a top stick the few that are can really skew the planes stats.I'm sure if you took the time to look up all the guys who fly the 38 "exclusively"you'd find that most would be above average but only a few would be "top tier" and those few have the greatest affect on the 38's K/D ratio.

:salute

All perfectly correct. Thanks for the info about the dual throttles.

To be clear. I get that only good pilots would be good at this kind of manuever. I think what I'm saying is that the good pilots have figured out that the 38 is best at "roping" and use the technique a lot to great effect.

...and I want to learn how to kill them when they do it.  :devil

of course if the guy is that good and practiced at it, he probably won;t do it if he's going to lead to his death, so his vertical move should be a hint that I do not have the advantage I think I have. But I want to study this so I can know that myself.
Who is John Galt?

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2009, 11:10:18 AM »
I did not state weight is a factor in zooming...it does however have a direct impact on kinetic energy.

But again, from identical speeds you get almost identical zooms out AHII aircraft with vastly different weights. But I suppose if you were using the airplane as a projectile, yeah, a Jug would do more damage than a Spit.  :devil
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline MjTalon

• Gold Member
      • 82nd FG Home
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2009, 11:10:39 AM »
P38s are "head and shoulders" above all planes except maybe the corsairs, especially in 1v1 match-ups!

BIG WING, GREAT FLAPS, SUPERB E RETENTION etc. etc.  don't be fooled by its size and poor views! It truely is "top of the line"  :aok :aok

Views are stellar once you set them correctly. Only blind spot is below your wings but that can be fixed with a quick dip on each side to scan that area.

S.A.P.P.
Cavalier - 82nd F.G
Group Commanding Officer

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2009, 11:12:41 AM »

Shrek, you would know.   :salute
Who is John Galt?

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2009, 11:13:32 AM »
The P-38J is racking up quite a kill ratio in the MA. In fact it is the highest non-perk plane in the MA.(see table below)  I did a little digging and discovered that a dozen or so pilots have kill ratios over 8:1 in this plane and fly it almost exlusively which is driving up it's kill ratio. I did this investigation because lately this historically average plane has been untouchable in 1 on 1s, and the deaths have all come via the same tactic on the part of the 38 driver, which is to pull the plane vertical, wait for the opponent to stall out, rudder/throttle over, dive and make the kill. What makes this so strange is the seemingly incredible ability of the 38 to climb vertically, and rudder over, regardless of e-state. On paper this plane has inferior power to weight, climb rate, and acceration numbers compared to most planes in the MA. Perhaps a dual throttle control can allow for rapid yaw compared to centerline powered aircraft that need to rely on rudder only (hence airspeed), but that doesn't explain the 38's seemingly exeptional vertical climb and stall performance. I suspect a cabal of 38 drivers have discovered something about the P-38 flight model that can be exploited in the MA and are utilizing it to rack up these lopsided kill ratios. We non-38 drivers owe it to ourselves to figure out what's up. I  would like to analyze this 38 manuever more objectively, and get the word out to all MA pilots the what-to-do's when a 38 pilots goes vertical. With a little collective wisdom maybe we can put these guys back in their historical place.
So I'm asking for anyone that wishes to participate, to film your missions and post any 38-goes-vertical-rudders-over-and-kills-me films you get. Then we can analyze e-state, relative speeds etc etc and see what's up.

I don't mean to over emphasize the idea of some kind of flight model error. The real point of this post is to understand the tactic objectively to develop a counter.

Totally incorrect.   Allow me to share this:

"While in the pilots' lounge at Santa Maria Air Base, California, I overheard three P-38 student pilots scorning their airplane.   They were saying the P-38 would not operate above 25,000ft, or if it would, their instructor would not take them.   I found out their instructor's name and cleared a flight with the students.   My briefing was short and to the point: "We're going to take this four-ship formation up and we will continue to climb until one of you say 'uncle'."  With that we took off.   At 42,800ft indicated on the altimeter, I heard a garbled "uncle" being transmitted by a throat mike.   One hundred percent Oxygen under pressure made it difficult to speak at high altitude.   The formation was climbing at 500 ft per minute when the flight was terminated.   That flight convinced them that the P-38 was a high altitude aircraft."

Lt. Frank Shearin Jr. - 343rd FG, the Aleutians 1943.  

I now fly the J exclusively.   If I assist in a capture or CV sinking, I'll grab an L.   But now, I just want to fight and stay away from the Desktop Generals who "think they know it all", even when their tactics are useless.  

The 38 was more than "average" in WWII.   I suggest you get Warren Bodie's book "P-38 Lightning" and maybe reading an authoritative book like that, will properly inform you of it's capabilities.  
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2009, 11:18:02 AM »
I think of the rope as more of a filter. You filter out the bad sticks by roping them, and if they don't get roped then proceed to have a good fight :aok