Author Topic: General question regarding rudder pedals  (Read 904 times)

Offline bacon8tr

• Nickel Member
General question regarding rudder pedals
« on: December 27, 2009, 09:18:49 PM »
For those of you who use rudder pedals I am trying to find out what the general time frame was to where you felt "comfortable" with them?  I have ordered mine and am already getting myself ready to feel like a baby learning how to walk.  I routinely find myself in situations where I know the addition of rudder pedals would be the difference between getting splashed or being the splasher.  Ive been playing for approximately a little over a year now if memory serves correct and am ready to kick the training wheels and get away from just the 'ol twisty stick.    :salute

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
Re: General question regarding rudder pedals
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 09:26:16 PM »
Figure about about three to four weeks of growing pains, the first week will be hard but keep your head up.

Its worth it!

Strip

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 09:38:57 PM »
It's not that tough.  Maybe a couple of hours as long as you pay attention to when and how much rudder you apply, and the resulting effects on your airplane.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline rvflyer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 10:05:45 PM »
For those of you who use rudder pedals I am trying to find out what the general time frame was to where you felt "comfortable" with them?  I have ordered mine and am already getting myself ready to feel like a baby learning how to walk.  I routinely find myself in situations where I know the addition of rudder pedals would be the difference between getting splashed or being the splasher.  Ive been playing for approximately a little over a year now if memory serves correct and am ready to kick the training wheels and get away from just the 'ol twisty stick.    :salute

They are pretty easy to use, just use a little rudder with your stick to keep turns coordinated. If you see the little round ball off to one side or the other
think of it as a ball you can kick, if the ball is to the left kick it back to center with the left rudder and same if ball is to the right kick it back to center with
right rudder. It takes very small rudder movements to keep the ball centered. Which type are you going to use? With brakes I hope, rudder pedals really make
taking off and landing easy, also IMO much easier to land and takeoff a turning CV.
Tour 70 2005 to present

Offline bacon8tr

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 10:11:53 PM »
I took the plunge and purchased the CH pedals......Another question in reference to the pedals.  From what Ive read the Ch set up is pretty rugged and sturdy.  However, I am thinking of breaking out the industrial velcro and strapping it down to a piece of plywood....The reason for this is my pc is setup to where the floor is carpet  :cry.  Don't think the wife ack will be all that bad if she doesn't realize the "modification" I've made.

Offline LYNX

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 10:41:33 PM »
You'll get into the swing of things in about 3 weeks. Don't be afraid to use opposite rudder either. You'll find you'll be kicking those pedals about so an anchor is needed.  I whacked in some nails around the base...the buggers didn't slip then  :lol

With shoes on its very difficult to get a sense of feel. Centre point is hard to define as it doesn't have a notch. Its very easy to inadvertently fly with some rudder on. You can play with rudder dead band and damping to stiffen the feel up.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 11:37:04 PM by LYNX »

Offline boxboy28

• Gold Member
      • http://none
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009, 10:42:25 PM »
Depending on how you had your twisty stick set up .....most folk use default!

but invert the axis in thats the case it worked wonders for me personally!

I read you have been using a twisty stick, so the inverted axis should feel more natural! :rock
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 10:44:35 PM by boxboy28 »
^"^Nazgul^"^    fly with the undead!
Jaxxo got nice tata's  and Lyric is Andre the giant with blond hair!

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2009, 10:44:00 PM »
2 weeks
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2009, 10:49:50 PM »
Took me a month.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2009, 04:17:10 AM »
As a former salesman for ergonomic computer accessories (many of which were differed radically from the usual gadgets) I think I can give some sort of medical/physical information. Remember, I have no medical education added to that English is not my native tongue, so the terms I use may be incorrect.

It will take a couple of weeks to make you remember that you should use pedals instead of twisty. The time needed depends much on your motivation, which I think in this case should be at a quite high level  ;) .  Including those weeks it will take about three months for your nervous system to build new routes into your brain, after which using rudders is a routine operation and needs as much thinking as walking.

BTW radically changing a routine to the level new nervous routes have been built helps postpone the symptoms of dementia, Alzheimer etc.

Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2009, 04:23:57 AM »
2 weeks here.  Was on the point of giving up after ramming the 20th plane just as i was lined up for the kills  :D

a few tips.   Have fun taxiing around on the ground.  This at first brought a whole new dimension to taxiing  :).  But it will help alot in controlling the plane with the rudder only.

It takes however long for your brain to remember to kick your feet when you want rudder.  Soon as that is implanted in your brain it becomes much more natural just like riding a bike or driving a car.   You wouldn't go back to walking  ;)
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2009, 04:35:40 AM »
Immediately things felt to me more like they should be and shots just as quickly began to hit home where I aimed.  :)
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2009, 04:57:57 AM »
3 weeks to a month and all feels fairly natural so just stick at it
its a great step up and more fun
have fun
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2009, 06:34:04 AM »
Make sure you check the scaling that it's in use.  You probably want it to be set to a "ramp" starting at about 30, if it isn't already.  Otherwise, you'll tend to overcorrect, and cause PIO.  Rudder input induces roll and pitch changes in most aircraft in addition to yaw, so if you are over correcting, you'll feel like you are fighting your plane more than your opponent.

It's well worth getting used to though - I can't even imagine flying without them.

<S>
"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2009, 06:53:49 AM »
If you've flown years with a twisty it will be an extremely hard transition to pedals. I tried and got frustrated. Then I thought hey I'm landing kills with the twisty why bother with the rudder setup. Afterall a twisty stick takes a heck of a less space than a full rudder setup.

I find dogfighting with a B25H more fun to learn :) Especially fun to try to pick running people with the 75mm long distance.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone