Author Topic: WW II Family History -  (Read 4590 times)

Offline cactuskooler

• Skinner Team
  • Gold Member
Re: WW II Family History -
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2012, 08:38:51 PM »
I sure you've been to the 38th BG website, but if you haven't looked through the documents they have, you might enjoy doing so.

http://www.sunsetters38bg.com/index.php/71st-AFHRA-Documents/View-category.html

Many of the mission reports can be found; like this one from June 26 1944.  You can see Shurig J. W. listed as the pilot of #336.  #336 being the last three digits of the plane's serial number, which in this case is 41-30336 The Brooklyn Dodger, as confirmed by the list you posted.

cactus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Noseart

Offline cactuskooler

• Skinner Team
  • Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2012, 08:54:23 PM »
Here's a great photo to give everyone an idea of what these missions looked like.  This is my favorite photo of the war, in fact.  That's B-25J 'Estrallita' 43-28145 from the 71st BS nearest the camera.  You'll see that very plane several times on Shurig's flight record Changeup posted.

cactus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Noseart

Offline 4Prop

• Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2012, 08:55:52 PM »
is there a Pat Shurig you are related to who flew in WW2?

heres somthing for you, my grandpa on my mom's side was in the 12th SS. he fought at D-Day and in Stalingrad.
my grandpa on my dad's side was a navy chaplain who was Gen. Omar Bradley's cousin

Offline matt

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2012, 09:03:21 PM »
 :salute 

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2012, 02:26:54 AM »
Great history Changeup.  Great photo cactus!
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2012, 03:48:28 PM »
is there a Pat Shurig you are related to who flew in WW2?

Not a Pat Shurig but a Mike Shurig, who was Gramps brother, my great uncle.  There is a biography/story in one of Time magazine, I believe it was Time, where he goes through the time he bailed out of a B-24 over the Italian Alps...he was a tail gunner.  The way he tells the story is that Gramps ribbed him all the time about flying in bombers...flying in bombers was a stupid decision and Mike should have flown in "fighters" like he did.  (That's why I always get a chuckle when Corky or Silat or Shuff get kidded about flying bombers into a furball....Gramps thought his B-25 was a "fighter", lol)

"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2012, 03:51:27 PM »
Great history Changeup.  Great photo cactus!

Thank you...I need to get his real stuff...my great aunt is a horder...like TV, not this game, lol.  My mother said he has a daily diary and all.  I'd like to just read it once...or get my hands on the pics so I can scan them or something.  You have to know they are just getting old and falling apart and that just kills me. :salute

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline brentb636

• Zinc Member
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2014, 02:16:25 PM »
My Dad, Martin Bertram was also one of Jim Shurig's co-pilots, and Jim knew my mom, Laurel Jacobson ( Aussie girl, married at 16) in Australia.  My Dad's flight record with the 71st squadron shows 47 combat missions, many of the same one's on your Grampa's record.  If you'll send me your email, via PM , I can send a pdf of Dad's missions.  Dad is mentioned by William J. Smith in the story "Buzzing an Australian Train" at http://www.pacificwrecks.com/people/veterans/smith.html .  I was fascinated to read the above accounts of Jim's record.  Thanks, Brent

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2014, 02:28:04 PM »
My Dad, Martin Bertram was also one of Jim Shurig's co-pilots, and Jim knew my mom, Laurel Jacobson ( Aussie girl, married at 16) in Australia.  My Dad's flight record with the 71st squadron shows 47 combat missions, many of the same one's on your Grampa's record.  If you'll send me your email, via PM , I can send a pdf of Dad's missions.  Dad is mentioned by William J. Smith in the story "Buzzing an Australian Train" at http://www.pacificwrecks.com/people/veterans/smith.html .  I was fascinated to read the above accounts of Jim's record.  Thanks, Brent

I received your PM.  Email to follow

Edit:  Gramps passed away Oct 23, 2013.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 02:30:37 PM by Changeup »

Offline brentb636

• Zinc Member
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2014, 06:24:40 PM »
My Dad passed away 26 Dec  1994 .  Long before it was his time, but he wouldn't complain.  :)

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2014, 07:51:53 PM »
My Dad passed away 26 Dec  1994 .  Long before it was his time, but he wouldn't complain.  :)

That generation never complained.  Ever.  It's sad they are leaving us but both of mine got to spend a lot of time with their great grand kids and that's what was important to them.  I miss them both. 

Offline brentb636

• Zinc Member
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2014, 07:18:10 AM »
This letter from General Kenney was dated AFTER Dad's last mission with the 17th Squadron.  By January 1945, Dad was flying p-38's with the 49th Fighter Group ( he was shot down over Tacloban airstrip on January 6 , 1945 and ditched in the ocean, was picked out of water by some un-named Filipinos ) .  Dad served with the 13th squadron, 3d Attack; 17th Squadron 38th BG; and 49th Fighter.  He spent some time in hospital after being shot down several times, and I wonder if the unit changes were a result of coming back to duty, and being re-assigned at that time.  I don't know how the Air Corps worked in those days.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 07:21:02 AM by brentb636 »

Offline brentb636

• Zinc Member
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2014, 07:27:28 AM »
On the right is Dad, Martin Bertram , at Blythville, class 43-f .  Unknown cadet next to him is awaiting identification. :) 

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2014, 08:22:56 AM »
Very Nice!  Great citation too

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2014, 08:27:04 AM »
BRAVO!  I'm so glad others have shared information on their WWII family history. I've posted of my maternal grandfather *points to sig line*, but I really should make mention of my paternal grandfather who was a "jeep jockey" in Europe with an arty unti and my grandmother's brother who was also a B24 pilot in the PTO.
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.