Author Topic: Fishing  (Read 82694 times)

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
Re: Fishing
« Reply #1485 on: May 16, 2015, 09:43:11 PM »
Nice Rip, best of luck

Tear em up tommorow Bug!
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #1486 on: May 18, 2015, 01:10:05 AM »
I see plenty of spare wheels in that picture. 

(Image removed from quote.)

LOL ! No I got it fixed today . Forgot about wearing a long sleeve shirt and burned my freaking arms with the welder . I know better but did not have to weld but the ends on . Did not figure I burn that quick .
Army of Muppets-"Failure is impossible"-Death before dishonor
         Lead follow or get out of the way  !!

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1487 on: May 18, 2015, 06:57:54 AM »
Some Lake Erie smallmouth.  :aok

“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline Frodo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1488 on: May 18, 2015, 10:40:30 AM »
Damn nice smallmouths Bug! My favorite fish to catch and those are big compared to the river fish around here.  :cheers:

JG11 

TEAMWORK IS ESSENTIAL....IT GIVES THE ENEMY SOMEONE ELSE TO SHOOT AT.

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #1489 on: May 19, 2015, 06:53:06 AM »
Very nice smallmouth WTG ,
Army of Muppets-"Failure is impossible"-Death before dishonor
         Lead follow or get out of the way  !!

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1490 on: May 28, 2015, 01:34:20 AM »
Just got back From Costa Rica. My kid caught a 500 lb Blue Marlin. I'll post pictures as soon as I can.

Ive always wanted to boat a Blue, but when this fish leaped out of the water like a mini bus with fins I could think of nothing else but passing the baton to my son. God has gifted me more then enough animals and fish and seeing him bring it to boat was even better then catching it myself. Im sure you fathers know what Im talking about.

And if all this wasnt enough after my kid tired this monster out the reel broke off the rod, salt water eats equipment, so he held the rod the final minutes, the mate pulled the fish up, and I held the reel in my hands taking the line in. We got him to the boat and then let him free to thrill another.

Man Ive never seen a fish like him. A Blue Marlin tail dancing is a sight I'll carry to my grave. :salute
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1491 on: May 28, 2015, 08:09:08 AM »
Wow very cool Rich!

What did you think of Costa Rica?  Working on planning a trip there for next March with wife and daughter.  It looks like a really spectacular place.
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1492 on: May 28, 2015, 11:58:41 AM »
Wow very cool Rich!

What did you think of Costa Rica?  Working on planning a trip there for next March with wife and daughter.  It looks like a really spectacular place.

It is. Kinda like paradise on earth. For instance on the afternoons we went horse back riding or just walking on the beach we had an entire stretch of beach to ourselves. Totally unspoiled. Now that I know the country the next time we go were going to wing it instead of going thru a travel agent, "tho I had a great travel agent". He made sure everything went off like clock work http://www.vacationscostarica.com/staff/justindeboom/ They even have an in country concierge that I was able to call when I spaced out my house keys at our first Hotel and they were able to get them back to me.

We started off at the Arenal volcano, which we were even able to see one afternoon and morning. From there we did the rain forest thing and went zip lining thru it. I wouldnt recommend that Hotel and Spa cause they really stick it to you for food except for a free breakfast. But the volcano was beautiful. Next we went to the quaint mountain town of Monteverde, via a lake ride that was spectacular, which was really nice. Best of all our Hotel was right off the main drag so we could go into town to eat and shop. We were up about 5,000' both places so there were no bugs and lotsa wild life. We went on more nature tours, white water rafting...ect

Then we spent 4 days at The Westin resort at Playa Concha which is all inclusive and just paradise on earth. Eat and drink all you want, lotsa restaurants and a cool little surfer town called Tamarindo. We went fishing for a day and horseback riding there but mostly chilled. http://www.westinplayaconchal.com/ Oh and the place has a great golf course if you play. May is a great time to go cause its the start of the rain season and past prime season. The weather was mostly very good except in the rain forest where your obviously going to get rain any time of the year.

The Costa Rican people I found dignified, very friendly, and totally committed to tourism. 60% of their visitors are Americans and most of them speak English, some English, and with my limited Spanish there were no problems. PM me before making any commitments cause I asked a whole lot of questions down there. 9 days down there and I met only a few jerks and those were Americans. I thought the Costa Rican people were very fine people.

And man Im still on a high from that Marlin. My entire life I wanted to hook up a Blue and finally did it. :salute

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1493 on: May 28, 2015, 04:42:31 PM »
Can't wait to see the pics Rich. Not just of the fish but I bet the scenery is breathtaking.    I have a close friend that has been bugging me the last yr and a half to go and fish for a week.
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1494 on: May 28, 2015, 05:14:48 PM »
Can't wait to see the pics Rich. Not just of the fish but I bet the scenery is breathtaking.    I have a close friend that has been bugging me the last yr and a half to go and fish for a week.

We went out about 35 klm's into the ocean to about 4,000' of water to find that fish. Ive trolled before both on fresh water and the ocean so I knew this Capt. couldnt have done more to boat a fish then he did. And the entire time we never saw another boat. When Bill fishing is on down there its nothing for a boat to hook 1/2 dozen+ Bill fish, mahi-mahi, and/or tuna. Its just an incredible fishery. I happened to hit it during a slow time and a bad moon phase but still was able to bring a big Blue to the boat. Then the Capt. pulled in lines and it only took 5 mins to catch a huge red snapper and 6 grouper for our dinner, which the Hotel cooked and delivered to our room that night.

A first class fishery. Do it some time.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1495 on: May 29, 2015, 01:07:50 PM »
OK heres about the best shots I could get off the video.

Bringing to the boat.

This gives some idea of the madness at the end of the fight when the reel broke off the rod. Ive had it happen to me on the Great Lakes and with the ocean its even harder on gear. Luckily I knew what to do, and luckily we had backed on and fought most of the gas out of the fish BEFORE it happened. Had it happened in the first part of the fight we'd have never seen the fish.

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1496 on: May 29, 2015, 03:54:12 PM »
Damn hell of a fish Rich!!!! Congratulations, and pass the Icy Hot.....bet he pulled like a dump truck on meth    lol 
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1497 on: May 30, 2015, 07:12:43 AM »
Damn hell of a fish Rich!!!! Congratulations, and pass the Icy Hot.....bet he pulled like a dump truck on meth    lol

Yeah, with all that happened, and the fact a noob was behind the rod, this entire thing took like an hour. I was besides my son coaching him but a couple times he let a little to much slack on the line and I thought we'd lost him. Now Ive never caught a blue before but Ive caught whites, sails, BIG MahiMahi, King mackerel, Amberjacks, sharks, yellowfin, big night Blues....Fish up to 200 lbs and the last thing you want to do is tense up, rob your muscles of H2O, and for sure you dont want to give any slack.

Overall the kid did well and the Capt. handled the boat beautifully. But anytime you get a decent Bill on expect at least 30 honest mins. Then at the end of the trip my wife caught a 8 to 10 lb snapper after about a minute of bottom jigging. I havnt seen a snapper like that since 1984 off Moor head city NC. The fact we didnt see one other boat is the reason why. The fishing pressure is almost non-existant and the Bill fish are protected.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1498 on: May 30, 2015, 07:36:30 AM »
Go to about the 2 min point of this MahiMahi catch. https://youtu.be/HA-xIQqg1fw

A nice video of a big fish off the Cape Verde Islands, a group of Islands off of western Africa. Another amazing Marlin fishery. https://youtu.be/hvu6a2T2n1A

Offline CASHEW

• Nickel Member
« Reply #1499 on: June 04, 2015, 12:13:54 AM »
This pic is not new but thought I'd post it.
Columbia river kings.

Nice ones. fish that river all the time. Im up in bellingham
Peanut1 in game.