Author Topic: Saitek X52 Settings  (Read 2247 times)

Offline sky25

• Nickel Member
Saitek X52 Settings
« on: July 28, 2010, 02:16:09 AM »
I went out and purchased that X52 flight system last week. One week later, I am still playing around with the darn thing. Trying to find the best feel... The bells and whistles are great, but the other issues far outweigh the cool features.. I cannot find the middle. With no scaling, a slight turn becomes a hard turn and I lose control. Or I black out from even the slightest movement of the stick.. With scaling my turns are hard and sloppy... Flying a spit 8..  This probably wasn't a good time to change sticks considering the entire game just recently changed. I went back to my Thrustmaster for a few hours and noticed I was still stalling too easily. Maybe that is a sound thing..

Maybe it isn't a setting issue, but a learning curve that's needed for a stick like this. My thrustmaster is much harder to move. It has way more tension. The tension on this thing is low.. I either get it right, or I throw the darn thing out the back door.... I recently asked for reviews on the X52. The current owners like them and the CH guys hate them.. I am using a powered USB Hub Although I do not think it is needed. My system is a brand new Dell Studio XPS with plenty of USB power.. Using Windows 7 Ultimate

Can a few X52 owners look this set up over and give me some advise on using the stick and setting it up correctly? Any assistance will be much appreciated...

Control Panel Settings

Z-Axis

X-Axis

Y-Axis

« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 02:18:34 AM by sky25 »

sky25  "Vsky" In The Game

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
Re: Saitek X52 Settings
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 09:30:34 AM »

I think the powered USB is a good idea.

The spring tension can be modified by doing this -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYBvO2i0h24&feature=PlayList&p=3FB4C6312C07C569&playnext=1&index=2

I did that in a few minutes, and used that for a few years.  I eventually took it back off though.

Scaling probably has more to do with how you fly.  I don't make any adjustments in Windows at all.  In AH, I have my sliders for all axis set in a straight horizontal line right across the top.  I don't like any scaling, as I find it leads me to over-controlling.  I get a better feel with small, controlled, control inputs.

If you're more ham-fisted, you'll probably need the scaling, which IMO leads to (and allows) you to be more ham-fisted.  IMO, a heavier spring will help take you in the same direction.  Both options will allow (and force) you too put more effort into controlling, which some people like.

I've been using the X52 for 5-6 years or so, and love it.  They're getting harder to find locally, so I'll probably have to switch to something else eventually, and I'm not thrilled about that.  I've been getting mine through Best Buy, and using the two-year replacement plan, swapping the stick in for a new one each year or so when a button gets sticky or something.
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline sky25

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 10:37:49 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYBvO2i0h24&feature=PlayList&p=3FB4C6312C07C569&playnext=1&index=2

I did that in a few minutes, and used that for a few years.  I eventually took it back off though.

Scaling probably has more to do with how you fly.  I don't make any adjustments in Windows at all.  In AH, I have my sliders for all axis set in a straight horizontal line right across the top.  I don't like any scaling, as I find it leads me to over-controlling.  I get a better feel with small, controlled, control inputs.

If you're more ham-fisted, you'll probably need the scaling, which IMO leads to (and allows) you to be more ham-fisted.  IMO, a heavier spring will help take you in the same direction.  Both options will allow (and force) you too put more effort into controlling, which some people like.

I've been using the X52 for 5-6 years or so, and love it.  They're getting harder to find locally, so I'll probably have to switch to something else eventually, and I'm not thrilled about that.  I've been getting mine through Best Buy, and using the two-year replacement plan, swapping the stick in for a new one each year or so when a button gets sticky or something.

That looks like a great idea. I will do that tonight. A little more tension would help alot. Thanks for the info mtnman.. :salute

Offline Boxman

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 12:48:50 PM »
Honestly.....don't worry about your settings so much......just fly, fly, fly. I have an X52 and other than turning scaling off....haven't touched the settings.

"Just barley touching" and blacking out tells me you were going very fast and trying to turn.

Sounds like you just need more time.

Offline lulu

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 01:05:15 PM »
I suggest never rotate the springs.

:salute
mobilis in mobile

Offline redwing7

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 01:07:02 PM »
My settings are very close to Sky's, I've had the X52 for over a year but in the last few months I've been getting "do not move controls so rapidly" I've played with the deadband a little but it doesn't seem to help. Any thoughts? Let me rephrase that, besides stop stick stirring any thoughts?  :D

:salute
THUNDER MOB

"and when they bury me, may it be face down...so all my critics can kiss my ass!"  Bobby Knight

Offline Tippo

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 07:18:12 PM »
It is strange that your joystick is so sensitive to movement.  Maybe it is not calibrated.  A slight movement of the joystick should not cause you to auger or blackout. 

There is 2 places to calibrate the X52: 1) windows control panel (which is what you show in the top picture) and 2) Aces High (second picture).  You need to calibrate in both.

1) to calibrate in windows control panel, select the "test panel" then move the stick and throttle to all extremes.

2) to calibrate in AcesHigh, hit the "calibrate axis" button and follow directions.

It's important to calibrate in the windows control panel first, because the the AcesHigh calibration is based on the windows control panel calibration.

Watch your "raw" and "scaled" results in the "advanced" panel to see how the game reads your joystick.
Swampdragons

Offline sky25

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 07:38:42 PM »
author=mtnman link=topic=293620.msg3741552#msg3741552 date=1280327434]

MntMan, I took your advise and made the plastic shim as described in the Video. What a world of difference. I was up flying and killing last night. Still getting used to the stick, but my control had improved ten fold thanks to more tension on the joystick.. A very big improvement... I actually enjoyed using it for the first time since I purchased it. I turned scaling off on  the X and Y axis. Not blackouts or control loss.. :aok
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 08:30:17 PM by sky25 »

Offline wgmount

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 07:43:00 PM »
I don't use scaling for the aileron or rudder. I am now using the pedals though instead of the twisty.

This is all the scaling I use.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands,
hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."- H.L. Mencken