Author Topic: Historic Gunsight Pack  (Read 4369 times)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Historic Gunsight Pack
« on: October 30, 2010, 03:29:20 PM »
All previous links are no longer valid. The URL in this POST is active.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bustr's Aces High II Historical Gunsight Set

10.20.2010 - Original Version
10.22.2010 - Added 125Mil JPType98 reticle.
10.26.2010 - Added the Finnish THm44Kk
10.30.2010 - Added the British Type 1 Mk III Dot reticle. Used by Typhoon and Tempest for unobstructed ground view in fighter bomber work.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.mediafire.com/file/y0gmqby2vjl2jqd/Bustr.Gunsights.3.zip
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Historic Gunsight Pack
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 04:00:49 PM »
Incidentally, as a correction to your ReadMe:

Based on the research I did while working on my Mk.VIII, the P-47D-25 used this sight as well.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 04:22:07 PM »
Thank you, bustr.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 09:29:07 PM »
Incidentally, as a correction to your ReadMe:

Based on the research I did while working on my Mk.VIII, the P-47D-25 used this sight as well.

I can update the Readme with all the aircraft associated to reticle.

If you look at the Barr and Stroud gusights that were introduced in the war, the aircraft that used them were all over the place. Making reccomendations could be tricky for the british. Our Hurri and Spit MkI's should have the oval reflector sight. Our Typhoon should have the sight with an adjustemnt knob for changing the angle of the reflector plate to lower the reticle. In the Tempest where the reticle projected directly onto the windscreen the base of the sight had a ring that moved the dot reticle forward and back to compensate for rockets or guns. I've made a version of the Brit Type1 MkIII with a second dot at the 70Mil diameter below the center dot. Personaly I think thats gamey. The angle control dial would change the reflector plate angle by 5degress towards your face lowering the dot for rockets and bombs.

Barr and Stroud GM2 Series.
Mark II: Oval reflector with sun screen <-----------------Spit and Hurri MkI. Ring and dot only. Most pilots removed the sunscreen.
Mark IIs: Rectangular reflector with no sun screen
Mark II*: Similar to the IIs, slightly different dimensions<-----HurriC, seafire, spit5, 9, 8, 16, 14. Ring, dot and range bar.
Mark IIL: Adjustable sight head (0-5 degrees) for rocket firing and 40 mm guns<---------HurriD and Typhoon. Ring and dot only.
Mark III: Produced by Goerz
Type 1: Mark 1 (Projector) open/shut graticule one ring only
Type 1: Mark 111 (Projector) dot graticule <---------------Beamont modification Typhoon and Tempest. Dot only.
Type 1: Mark 8 (Projector) standard range/base graticule

In game we have a GM2 MkII 1948.<---Zoom in and lower your sight with Pg/down. AM SERIAL NO 20618/48. (/48) is the year code. 1948 spits and jets used the GGS Mk4E/5A Gyro.
Spit and Hurri MkI - Ring and dot.
Seafire - Ring and bar.
Spit5,8,9,16,14 - Ring and bar.
Typhoon and Tempest - Ring and dot or just dot.
Hurri-IIC and D - Ring and dot.

The U.S. N-3B with A-1 bombing head has an adjustment knob to change the angle of the reflector plate so the ring and dot are raised or lowered for shallow dive bombing and strafing. In game we cheat by adding on a jabo marker at the bottom of the reticle around the 100mil-70mil mark for the B25H that you can clearly see the adjustment knob to change the reflector plate angle sitting there. If HTC updates the A20G it will have the N-3B also.

The N-3A was a fixed angle reflector used in fighters but, the N-3B with the A-1 bombing head was used in some fighters for bombing also. Our P40's and P38 up to the P38J have the N-3A. P38L has the Lynn-3. The P39 have the N-2B. P38, 39 and 40 used everything from N-2A, B, C to N-3A, B, C. Early 47's and 51B/C's used the N3 series along with the early F4F and F4U-1.

N9 was used in P51D and 47D.

Mk8 Model 6(No reflector plate)
F4U-1A
F4U-1C
F4U-1D
F4U-4
F6F-3
F6F-3N
H6F-5

Mk8 Model 8(reflector plate)
FM-1
FM-2
F4F-4
F4U-1A
F6F-3
FR-1
TBF
TBM
SBD-5
SB2C
P-38
P-47D20 to D30

K14 Gyroscopic sight hs two lenses. We should really be centered over one or the other. The left had a fixed ring and dot for gun sighting, divebombing and backup if the six sided star failed. The right was the lead computing six sided star and dot.
P47D40, M, N
P51D

The german Revi series.
Revi3 - 109E
Revi12 - 109F-G6, FW190A5, Ju87, 88.
Revi16 - 109G14, K4, FW190A8/F8/D9, Ta152, 262, 163.

Japanes gusights were copies of Revi.
JPType3 - Ki61, 84 and N1K2.
JPType4 - A6M5a.
JPType98 - A6M2.
JP98 125Mil reticle - All of the above.

Finnish gunsights were Revi copies except for the Tahatin Malli/44.

Italian had Revi copies then the San Georgino.
San Georgino B - C.202
San Georgino C - C.205

Russian gunsights early in the war was a circle and dot drawn on the windscreen.
PAK-1 - IL2
PAK-1M - I16
PEB-1A/B - Yak and La

I always wondered why HiTech did not program the center of the gunsights in fighters and bombers that had an adjustable reflector plate to be moved from center down to about the 70Mil ring line on the fly. But, we can simply add a tick mark into our gunsights I guess. I cannot find any info if the german Revi series has a reticle other than the crossed circle for Jabo and dive bombing.

Aren't all these gunsights confusing? My head hurts..... :angel:
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 09:43:34 PM by bustr »
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline cactuskooler

• Skinner Team
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 09:56:47 PM »
Any ideas about what the L-3 reticle looks like? Our P-38J has it, as well as the L. I haven't been able to find any clues myself.
cactus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Noseart

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 10:26:12 PM »
THE GUNSIGHT VIEW

During its career, the P-38 was equipped with a variety of optical gunsights, including the Army/Navy N-3 in the P-38F through J-5 models. It was a simple reflector sight that projected a 30-mil circle around a center aiming dot or "pipper." From the P-38J-10 onward, a redesigned windscreen required a new sight and mount and that led to the Lynn Instrument Company's L-3.
All U.S. aerial sights were based on the mil system, in which one mil equals one foot at a 1,000-foot range. The 30-mil circle was useful for range estimation, as a typical single-engine fighter's wingspan was 30 to 35 feet, which filled the aiming reticle at a boresight range of 333 yards. Most Bf 109s spanned 33 feet; Zeros and Oscars spanned 36 to 37 feet. Bettys measured 82 feet; at 30 mil they ranged less than 100 yards. The IA sight, however, used a 50-mil ring with a larger pipper. After the L models had begun to carry launch rails, the L-3 also included stadia lines below the ring to compensate for rocket trajectory. 
----------------------------------------------

Use the N6 70mil and dot. Or the N9 70Mil ring and dot with launch rails. There is a N3 ring and dot with hash marks. Or use the N3 35mil ring and dot. The default POV in the 38 cockpit a 30-35mil circle is verrrry tiny.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 11:08:56 PM »
As far as the F4U-1 goes, I remember we had this discussion when I first released the Mk.VIII pack:

The F4U-1 certainly left the factory with the N3, but it was brought up that Ken Walsh (I think) specifically mentioned Mk.VIIIs having been installed in the field at some point after the F4U-1 actually reached the theater. Walsh certainly identified the sight as a Mk.VIII at least as early as February-March, 1943, indicating the sights were changed VERY soon after the aircraft were received (I wouldn't be surprised if the sights were stripped from their F4F-4s as the different squadrons transitioned into the F4Us...).
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 12:03:24 AM »
The gunsight in our F4U-1 as it sits is an N-3B. Reticle I provided is the 70Mil and dot. I can make it the pre 1943/June 30Mil ring and dot if you like.... :D
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline TOMCAT21

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2010, 07:09:28 PM »
 :aok
RETIRED US Army/ Flying and dying since Tour 80/"We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded." - Capt. Richard Winters.  FSO 412th FNVG/MA- REGULATORS

Offline pipz

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2010, 07:38:16 AM »
thank you  :aok
Silence tells me secretly everything.

Montreal! Free the Pitt Bulls!!!!!

Offline 352fg

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2010, 03:51:27 PM »
Thanks! These gunsights are awesome!  :)
I'm awesome

Offline MarineUS

• Gold Member
      • Imperial Legion
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2011, 11:50:53 PM »
Thank you!  :aok
Like, ya know, when that thing that makes you move, it has pistons and things, When your thingamajigy is providing power, you do not hear other peoples thingamajig when they are providing power.

HiTech

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2011, 02:38:34 PM »
Ive never used custom gunsights, can someone tell me how to set them up?  :(

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2011, 02:53:01 PM »
Copy content to your sites folder. You need the bmp and mil files together. Open the game and they will be available in your gunsight selection menu.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline Mystery

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2011, 03:01:56 PM »
Bustr is Dr. Gunsight.

Outstanding work here, sir  :salute
No, no, no. That molecule is caffeine.