Author Topic: P40  (Read 3483 times)

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
P40
« on: November 15, 2010, 02:15:08 PM »
Did it really take one hit anywhere on the wing to get the flaps stuck in real life?  It is a nice plane but flying it is just frustrating.  One ping and you cannot fight any more.  Can we fix it or this is how it was in real life?
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
Re: P40
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 02:35:20 PM »
How many real-life accounts of P-40 dogfights have you seen, "then, I dropped flaps" in?

Something to ponder.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 02:45:16 PM »
Did it really take one hit anywhere on the wing to get the flaps stuck in real life?  It is a nice plane but flying it is just frustrating.  One ping and you cannot fight any more.  Can we fix it or this is how it was in real life?

LOL.  You must have mistakenly taken my P-40.  It's pretty beat up, and I always die in it....

I always understood the entire P-40 line to be quite resilient against historical enemy weapons.  However, you are getting nailed by both historical enemy and friendly here.  What hit you out of curiosity?
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 02:45:58 PM »
How many real-life accounts of P-40 dogfights have you seen, "then, I dropped flaps" in?

Something to ponder.

wrongway

Non, but same goes for a spitfire, a P51, an LA7 etc.  I have not seen any of those either.  Does that mean their flaps get stuck after a single ping?  Try a P40 for a few runs and tell me what happens

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 02:47:57 PM »
LOL.  You must have mistakenly taken my P-40.  It's pretty beat up, and I always die in it....

I always understood the entire P-40 line to be quite resilient against historical enemy weapons.  However, you are getting nailed by both historical enemy and friendly here.  What hit you out of curiosity?

This is not a 1 time observation.  Been flying that thing for like 7 years on and off.  However, every time I do I end up with stuck flaps and stop flying it.  At some point, i give it an other try just in case, and guess what happens.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 03:56:18 PM »
This is not a 1 time observation.  Been flying that thing for like 7 years on and off.  However, every time I do I end up with stuck flaps and stop flying it.  At some point, i give it an other try just in case, and guess what happens.

Noted.  So more than one occurrence.  Any correlation as to what type of weapon is inflicting the damage?  Or is that not typical either?
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 04:16:18 PM »

i don't recall that happening to me very often flying the 40E in the ava.....but then, i'm either killing, or i die so dam fast i wouldn't have time to know if my flap was missing or not....... :noid
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 04:56:45 PM »
P-40E's flaps are made of glass.  A paintball gun will take one out.
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2010, 04:59:31 PM »
i don't recall that happening to me very often flying the 40E in the ava.....but then, i'm either killing, or i die so dam fast i wouldn't have time to know if my flap was missing or not....... :noid

Cap, not every thread is there to be used to promote the empty arena.  I don't spam your forum, don't spam ours please.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2010, 05:00:43 PM »
Cap, not every thread is there to be used to promote the empty arena.  I don't spam your forum, don't spam ours please.

believe it or not, i wasn't mentioning it for that......that is the only place i've ever flown the pee40.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2010, 05:03:58 PM »
Just to toss this out there...
If the argument is a historical one, one hit from anything can seriously ruin a plane.  It really doesnt take much.  Just google plane damage, and the catastrophic damage desribed hardly looks all that bad.

And how does losing a flap on a p40 make it unflyable in the game?  Dropping flaps causes so much drag you'd be hard pressed to fight in a P40 considering its anemic horsepower.

Just my thoughts :bolt:

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2010, 05:08:37 PM »
If the argument is a historical one, one hit from anything can seriously ruin a plane.  It really doesnt take much.  Just google plane damage, and the catastrophic damage desribed hardly looks all that bad.

And how does losing a flap on a p40 make it unflyable in the game?  Dropping flaps causes so much drag you'd be hard pressed to fight in a P40 considering its anemic horsepower.

The P-40 is pretty maneuverable with flaps out and can out turn a Spit XVI at slow speeds.  Having one flap shot out - usually with it having been deployed a notch or two - causes directional problems as well as slowing you down when you are chasing said Spit.
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2010, 05:13:50 PM »

i use flaps quite effectively when i'm flying it.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2010, 06:11:49 PM »

If the flaps are damaged while deployed, the damaged flap is treated as though the flap hasn't been destroyed but rather jammed in place.  This will cause the plane to be almost unflyable if you deploy or retract the remaining working flap.  To keep the plane stable in flight, you need to deploy/retract the remaining flap to the same position as the "destroyed" flap.  That's how having one flap destroyed can render a plane unflyable.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2010, 08:08:06 PM »
I once survived a 4-v-1 in a P-40E taking much damage and killing 3 of the 4 (making the 4th run home). Rare for me, but a really great fight that I won despite bad numbers. In the fight I got 1 flap jammed in 1 position, and the other in another. Just barely managed to finish off the last guy, or he broke off and later crashed, or something.

It made RTB home very.... "interesting" (it was an entire sector over water), especially considering it made my flying speed extremely slow.