Author Topic: P51's speed chart  (Read 2991 times)

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
P51's speed chart
« on: March 12, 2011, 11:53:22 AM »
I think the delta got switched with the bravo, the delta says it WAY slower then the bravo 15k-30k
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: P51's speed chart
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 12:22:46 PM »
I think the delta got switched with the bravo, the delta says it WAY slower then the bravo 15k-30k

Um.. are you saying the speed chart doesn't match actual speeds in game, or that charts and ingame performance do match, but the speeds should not be that way at all?  :headscratch:
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 12:48:01 PM »
I think he believes that the P51D should be better than the 51 Bravo, at those altitudes...which would actually be a false assumption

The P51 B  out performs the P51 D at those alts, the speed/climb charts are correct in-game

hope this helps

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 02:31:03 PM »
My mind is blown.  :headscratch: how is the b faster then the D, when the b. Doesn't have a supercharger at high ALT?
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 02:34:05 PM »
when the b. Doesn't have a supercharger at high ALT?

You should check your sources again ;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 02:46:33 PM »
My mind is blown.  :headscratch: how is the b faster then the D, when the b. Doesn't have a supercharger at high ALT?

I'm pretty sure it has the same exact supercharger, and B is more aerodynamic.
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 03:21:40 PM »
You should check your sources again ;)
Aperently
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 12:47:47 AM »
The Bravo has the Merlin 61 engine and the Delta has the Merlin 66. Bravo is lighter, tighter turning, and more aerodynamic therefore faster at higher altitudes but the Delta still holds slightly better in the vertical and gunnery of course over the Bravo.

I'll fly the Bravo over the Delta anyday unless i get tired of it...
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 12:32:53 PM »
It's not about weight or aerodynamics... the engine is simply geared for higher alts. Simple as that. It's geared to run better higher, at the expense of lower alts. Late in the war they decided to lower the altitude gearing on the P-51D for various reasons, resulting in better performance lower down.

You'll notice the P-51D is somewhat faster than the B up to about 24k, where its power drops off.

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 12:51:54 PM »
I remember when I found this out, a squaddie and I upped ponies, him a B, me a D.  I suppose I just always went with the assumption they were roughly the same, we leveled out, and zoom, bye bye squaddie.  :lol
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 03:43:40 PM »
It's not about weight or aerodynamics... the engine is simply geared for higher alts. Simple as that. It's geared to run better higher, at the expense of lower alts. Late in the war they decided to lower the altitude gearing on the P-51D for various reasons, resulting in better performance lower down.

You'll notice the P-51D is somewhat faster than the B up to about 24k, where its power drops off.
cc I was in BoG and the B out ran g14's no problem, D on the other hand had trouble
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 01:03:13 AM »

so youre saying the only reason a 51B can reach 41k feet compared to the 51D's 36k feet is that it's geared differently? and if this is the case then why does the 51B outclimb the 51D after they both hit 9k feet? and also showing no difference in the line graphs (except in the position of the gearing they are completely parallel) while going through the gearing process? If you change the gear top ends in a car, you can either have faster acceleration and lower top end or a slower acceleration and higher top end. An explanation of any difference between this and cars i'd love to hear <S>

cc I was in BoG and the B out ran g14's no problem, D on the other hand had trouble
its why i was screaming the entire frame about the 51D. About how we "upgraded" to the later war model mustang yet had to deal with the same altitudes and the same deadly aircraft we faced with our 51Bs
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2011, 06:04:55 AM »
Early frames I wanted to fly 38's, last frame jugm's lol
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2011, 11:04:32 AM »
so youre saying the only reason a 51B can reach 41k feet compared to the 51D's 36k feet is that it's geared differently? and if this is the case then why does the 51B outclimb the 51D after they both hit 9k feet? and also showing no difference in the line graphs (except in the position of the gearing they are completely parallel) while going through the gearing process? If you change the gear top ends in a car, you can either have faster acceleration and lower top end or a slower acceleration and higher top end. An explanation of any difference between this and cars i'd love to hear <S>
its why i was screaming the entire frame about the 51D. About how we "upgraded" to the later war model mustang yet had to deal with the same altitudes and the same deadly aircraft we faced with our 51Bs

Bar,

The gearing is in the supercharge gear ratios and/or the alt the gears change.Basically you have a low alt blower speed and a high alt blower speed and the alt that the gear change occurs can be the same,lower or higher dependant on the A/C in question.

So it's nothing like in a car were you can change the gear ratio in the tranny or rearend to achieve what you said.

Hope that clears it up for you.

:salute

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2011, 06:45:07 PM »
Bar,

The gearing is in the supercharge gear ratios and/or the alt the gears change.Basically you have a low alt blower speed and a high alt blower speed and the alt that the gear change occurs can be the same,lower or higher dependant on the A/C in question.

So it's nothing like in a car were you can change the gear ratio in the tranny or rearend to achieve what you said.

Hope that clears it up for you.

:salute
thank you <S>
Happy Jack's Go Buggy