Author Topic: Gimme strat to sink my teeth into with me shiney b29. (Aircraft Factory)  (Read 1028 times)

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
the current strat worked a decade ago. before resupply was added. though its still pretty abstract and almost entirely unused now because HQ is resupplied instantly and so are strat factories even if the city which seems to be unresuppliable is leveled to 0%. In effect its worthless and broken and not worth the effort to attack.

1. I request an aircraft factory that affects perk plane/vehilce prices. (unresuppliable and tied in down time to the city % down modifier like other factories.) if the Aircraft factory is 100% destroyed perk planes/vehicles cost an additional 100 perks. I hope this factory will have a target density greater than airfield towns to attract bomber scorepotatos.

2. I request removing resupply ability of all strat targets (HQ, Factory & city) to make people actually bother to bomb them. currently every b29 flying is a town plinker. they drop a few bombs on every town center for maximum.

well would you attack a factory that would effect the rpice of the swarm of me163s being launched against you?

would you try to defend vigorously said factory that affects the price of your perk planes and tanks?

this goes back to the reason to fight thing ht mentioned in the ww1 thread in some ways.
I want  a reason to keep upping my b29 and traveling over an hour behind enemy lines. plinking a chain of airfield towns isnt doing it and the strat factories being resupplied by c47s makes them worthless to bomb as well.

Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
I would like to see a strat system we had in AW or maybe how it evolved later in AW3 with capturable supply depots.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline ROX

• Gold Member
I really liked the concept in Air Warrior that in a bomber was cagey enough (you could not gun your own bombers back then) had a good gunner, and were accurate enough, you could pound the enemy "Spitfire Factory" and if you destroyed it that side could not fly Spitfires (then the "uber-ride") for a period of time...what was it :30 mins? :45 mins? Something like that.

THAT, would be AWESOME in AH!

If the folks not watching the map and paying attention enough to put up a defence (like when a base/town start blinking now  :rofl) and it gets destroyed, then some uber-rides are unavailable for a certain time frame.  It was a ton of fun dropping the Spit Factory back then.  The whines were hilarious.  

How it is now, hitting strats is pretty pointless unless you want to work on your overall score or be the bomber top dog for the tour.

It will never fly in this game, however.  Those who are too busy to watch the map will scream bloody murder.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
I'd like to see the zone system come back, with the current strats as well at the back :aok
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
not fly Spitfires (then the "uber-ride")

then?

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
I'd like to see the zone system come back, with the current strats as well at the back :aok

yeah i liked the zone system with strats scattered throughout the zone. with the ability to capture the base that controlled the zone too.
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
Problem with #1
There needs to be something to account for unbalanced sides, e.g. Bishes 100 players, Knights 70, Bishes have high ENY but keep pressing, and make a break for Knight AC factory and flatten it to 0%.  Knights then have not only ~1/3 numbers disadvantage but also perk price up their bellybutton and probably no way to return the favor on Bish factories.

Possible solution could be factories that "grow" (magically, like strats retreat now) or whose destroy/capture threshold changes (like airfield towns do, instead of the old all-or-nothing towns) proportionally with other countries' advantage... Advantage being some fudge factor, incl. e.g. those used to calculate ENY now.
and/or this
strat system we had in AW or maybe how it evolved later in AW3 with capturable supply depots.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 04:56:42 PM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline oTRALFZo

• Silver Member
Possible solution could be factories that "grow" (magically, like strats retreat now) proportionally with other countries' advantage... Advantage being some fudge factor, incl. e.g. those used to calculate ENY now.
and/or this
I like it :aok Oh and please bring back the old zone bases :rock
****Let the beatings begin***

in game name: Tralfaz

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
so the fact that no one even knows a legitimate reason the factories and cities are there for and no one sees any compelling reason to attack them...

this isn't a problem for anyone?

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
it would also be nice to see more trains& larger convoys on the road. they were fun targets to up a hurr or b25H and hunt. im having to make up for my train hunting itch by hunting barges at enemy ports  :(

how about maybe adding some airbourne supply plane routes as well?

basically, they'd act like convoys do, resuppling a base. just it would be a couple c47s flying in formation controlled by the computer to go to a set target to resupply.

Offline ROX

• Gold Member

then?

You have to keep in mind that Air Warrior had a VERY limited plane-set back then.  The "uber-rides" were relatively simple Spitfires and P-38's.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
You have to keep in mind that Air Warrior had a VERY limited plane-set back then.  The "uber-rides" were relatively simple Spitfires and P-38's.

P-38 was not an "uber-ride" in Air Warrior.  The main "uber-ride" was the Spitfire Mk IX which was made intentionally so as to attract and retain players with it's ease of flying in the hopes that the player would advance as they got more comfortable.  The P-38J was actually mis-modeled intentionally because if they modeled it remotely correctly, with AW's flight model it would have been equal to the Spitfire in being an uber-ride.  Anyway, that's how BB (Blue Baron ex-AW producer) explained it to me over dinner one night after a trade show.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
so the fact that no one even knows a legitimate reason the factories and cities are there for and no one sees any compelling reason to attack them...

Its a problem, the only thing that came out of the new city complex was a shiny new piece of eye candy to kill my frame rate during scenarios.
Strokes

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member

AFAIK the factories are there for the same reason as ever, except if the reason was to milk run an essentially undefended target.

No one sees any compelling reason to attack them because it's too hard  :cry

Get one of those huge Titanic Tuesday Bomber missions to do something useful and kill a city and, make it easy, one strat target. Say the ammo factory or Radar or Troops, something you will notice the effect, then pork said items at some fields and see if they stay down longer as designed due to no auto-resupply.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
I think it would be nice if the city (which affects factory/HQ rebuild times only) had an effect on the power of field resupply items being dropped by players.

if the city was 100% destroyed perhaps the supplies being dropped from a c47 afflicted with the 100% destroyed city debuff would have their supplies be 100% ineffective? an empty box as it were.