Author Topic: ATT, UDP and Bandwidth Throtteling  (Read 531 times)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
ATT, UDP and Bandwidth Throtteling
« on: March 29, 2011, 06:51:15 PM »
I know ATT gives us customers monthly download limits due to a dedicated few file sharers so they legaly say. At the best between myself and my wife we have hit 10% of the monthly allowence in our contract. Even with her in grad school online.

But, am I misstaken to the extream or does ATT severly restrict residential UDP bandwidth? I know they had an issue with Netflix and many ATT customers watch streaming video which ATT wanted to get a slice of the revenue streaming through their system.

Is their any substance to this observation about ATT?
Is there a simple way to monitor this in realtime?
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
Re: ATT, UDP and Bandwidth Throtteling
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 03:04:42 PM »
they did it with me and I only play ah.  I would call complain about it then my speed would go up for a month or two, then slowly go down.  I was paying for 3.0 but getting 1.2 if that.  I finally got sick of it called time warner (company which I hate) and got their internet cable service and cancelled att phone and internet and saved myself 30 bucks a month.  i have noticed the same thing also on cell phones from verizon, once your get close to the 2 year mark, the internet starts getting really slow.  I am assuming is their way of forcing you to get another phone and another 2 year contract.  I had the storm which always had great reception then withing 2 months it went to being so slow it was ridicules.  I upgraded to the droidx and rooted it.  but they'll find a way to throttle the phone on their end.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 11:41:43 AM »
I don't have a problem with AT&T Uverse but when I had their DSL service I NEVER got any decent bandwidth and spent more time down than a hooker during fleet week.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline katanaso

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 03:09:09 PM »
I don't have a problem with AT&T Uverse but when I had their DSL service I NEVER got any decent bandwidth and spent more time down than a hooker during fleet week.

Same experience here.

mir
80th FS "Headhunters"

The most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 08:51:53 AM »
What is slow?

Data transfer rate or latency?

Offline katanaso

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 09:48:34 AM »
Transfer rates.  Latency was never an issue. 

Using Microsoft for an example -- transfer rates nearly doubled when I went to U-Verse with the same advertised speed my DSL had.  Is it because of the different route and perhaps few hops it took?  I don't know, as I never did a before and after comparison. 

mir
80th FS "Headhunters"

The most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."