Author Topic: German Stielhandgranate Grenade Bundle...  (Read 2152 times)

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
German Stielhandgranate Grenade Bundle...
« on: June 04, 2011, 12:45:11 AM »
When did the Germans start using their grenades in bundle form? I can't seem to find any info on that.

Was it WW1 or WW2? How were they carried by squads? Were they created from scratch at the front or made specifically for bundle use?

Any help would be appreciated.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Gaidin

• Silver Member
Re: German Stielhandgranate Grenade Bundle...
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 06:19:38 AM »
Everything I have read in books or been able to find on line, including  http://www.theeasternfront.co.uk/infantry/german/germaninfantryweapons.htm , refers to the bundle as improvised.  I don't think they where ever build for that purpose.

They would wire 5-6 heads around 1 fully assembled head/stick for use against Armor and hardened positions.

Interesting thing about that grenade is it was considered offensive only, had no real fragmentation built into it.  It relied on blast effect for damage.  Later a frag sleeve was developed to slide over the can to cause more damage to personnel.

Hope that might help.
Death is but a doorway to life, only those who fear life fear its opening.

Ingame: 68Gaidin

Proud Member of the CM Team
FSO - Admin

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 11:09:34 AM »
there 1st use was in WW1 as bunker busters they also dropped them from planes

They were carried in a case or a sleveless jacket or worn on a belt. and made in the field.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/12980915/1943-US-Army-WWII-German-Infantry-Weapons-203p

:salute

« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 11:56:11 AM by Megalodon »
Okay..Add 2 Country's at once, Australia and France next plane update Add ...CAC Boomerang and the Dewoitine D.520

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 04:17:02 PM »
I'll bet some of the stronger throwers ending up having one grenade going downrange and the other six land behind him.

Offline Stalwart

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 04:42:08 PM »
I'll bet some of the stronger throwers ending up having one grenade going downrange and the other six land behind him.

Only once.  :eek:

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 06:49:43 PM »
Thanks for the help Megalodon, I was finding info about WW1, but I just wasn't sure.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!