Author Topic: Game Of Thrones  (Read 767 times)

Offline Cheese

• Copper Member
Re: Game Of Thrones
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2011, 08:59:22 PM »
Read the first three, haven't bought the fourth one yet, (Dance with Dragons).  I'm not going to read it until the fifth and final one comes out.

I really really liked books 1 and 2 - at one point in book 2 I stood up and yelled, "NOOOOOOO!!!"  Great storyline and writing. 

However, book 3 seemed to just drag on with many words and not much going on.  I find it became somewhat 'Robert Jordanish'.  I have seen bits and pieces of the HBO series, and I think they have captured the essence of the book.
Pigs on the Wing - Wing II
It's not Easy to be Cheesy!

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2011, 09:07:29 PM »
Yeah I'm not gonna read any of the books because I want it to be new to me when I see them on HBO, even though that means waiting a long period of time in between season to see what happens next.  Season 2 is supposed to start in April 2012, I have read a story online that said they aren't sure yet if they will be able to cover all the books in the show, in which case if they don't then I'll read the remaining books, but with how popular the show is I'm sure they will get them all in.

BTW great poster for the missing wolf.  :aok
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2011, 09:14:28 PM »
I'll probably listen to all of the books by the end of January then run through them again.  I'm surprised but pleased that I'm enjoying the books and liked the miniseries. 
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2011, 04:51:08 AM »
However, book 3 seemed to just drag on with many words and not much going on.  I find it became somewhat 'Robert Jordanish'.  I have seen bits and pieces of the HBO series, and I think they have captured the essence of the book.

If you think A Storm of Swords dragged, wait until you read the next book.  Feast for Crows was the worst of the 5 books by a factor of infinity...horribly boring IMO.  Book 5 Dance/Dragon made up for it, but just barely.

I can't wait for episode 9 of the upcoming season 2, which will feature the Battle of the Blackwater, which will hopefully get a lot of CGI and other budget effects big $$ put into it in order to give it the attention it deserves. 

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2011, 04:45:15 PM »
I was going to ask if after the playoffs they have a Toilet Bowl.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2011, 05:19:31 PM »
I can't wait for episode 9 of the upcoming season 2, which will feature the Battle of the Blackwater, which will hopefully get a lot of CGI and other budget effects big $$ put into it in order to give it the attention it deserves. 
At Comic Con this year they said that they are going to do the book version of the battle justice & it will be extremely well done.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2011, 12:42:35 AM »
At Comic Con this year they said that they are going to do the book version of the battle justice & it will be extremely well done.

DB Weiss said that 40% of the entire seasons budget will be eaten by episode 9, and that they are even predicting an overrun of that!  Whee!!!  I can't wait to see how the do it either.  Be the best hour of TV of 2012 for me I hope.

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2011, 07:51:36 AM »

DB Weiss said that 40% of the entire seasons budget will be eaten by episode 9, and that they are even predicting an overrun of that!  Whee!!!  I can't wait to see how the do it either.  Be the best hour of TV of 2012 for me I hope.

My fear though is it will turn out like the hbo series Rome and cost too much and they will cancel it. I loved that show.
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

"Never abandon the possibility of attack."

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2011, 12:03:01 PM »
My fear though is it will turn out like the hbo series Rome and cost too much and they will cancel it. I loved that show.
I don't think that there is any chance of that happening with Game Of Thrones though, GOT has a very large following and gets high ratings, high for HBO at least.  I don't think Rome came close to the ratings numbers that GOT has been getting.