Author Topic: Sounds like fun to me  (Read 640 times)

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
Sounds like fun to me
« on: July 05, 2011, 01:57:52 PM »
Fear? You bet your life. But it's always on the way up. Then you get to thinking about a lot of things, but that all leaves you as you reach combat. Then there's a sense of great excitement, a thrill you can't duplicate anywhere. Then there can be no fear, no thought of life or death, no dream of yesterday or tomorrow.
What you have at that moment is — well, it may sound strange, but it's actually fun. The other guy has his chance, too, and you've got to get him before he gets you. Yes, I think it is the most exciting fun in the world. — Lt. Col. Robert B. "Westy" Westbrook, USAAF, one of the leading aces of the Pacific, 'Los Angeles Examiner,' 20 June 1944.

Beware the lessons of a fighter pilot who would rather fly a slide rule than kick your ass! — Commander Ron 'Mugs' McKeown, USN, Commander of the U.S. Navy Fighter Weapons School

It got more exciting with each war. I mean the planes were going faster than hell when I was flying a Mustang, but by the time I got to Nam, it scared the piss out of a lot of guys just to fly the damn jets at full speed. Let alone do it in combat. — Brigadier General Robin Olds, USAF.

It is wonderful how cheered a pilot becomes after he shoots down his first machine; his morale increases by at least 100 percent.— Captain James Ira Thomas 'Taffy' Jones, RFC, 37 victories in 3 months W.W.I.

Every day kill just one, rather than today five, tomorrow ten . . . that is enough for you. Then your nerves are calm and you can sleep good, you have your drink in the evening and the next morning you are fit again. — Colonel Erich 'Bubi' Hartmann, Luftwaffe

Only the spirit of attack borne in a brave heart will bring success to any fighter aircraft, no matter how highly developed it may be. — General Adolf Galland, Luftwaffe.

Do unto the other feller the way he'd like to do unto you, an' do it fust [sic]. — E. N. Westcott, 'David Harum.'

Everything I had ever learned about air fighting taught me that the man who is aggressive, who pushes a fight, is the pilot who is successful in combat and who has the best opportunity for surviving battle and coming home. — Major Robert S. Johnson, USAAF

He must have a love of hunting, a great desire to be the top dog. — Sergei Dolgushin, Russian Air Force, 24 victories WWII

I never went into the air thinking I would lose. — Commander Randy 'Duke' Cunningham, USN.

The first time I ever saw a jet, I shot it down. — General Chuck Yeager, USAF, describing his first confrontation with a Me262.

Fighter pilots are not motivated by political ideology. Some may believe in their leaders wrongful assertions, while others will follow evil policies blindly or with open eyes just for the opportunity to fly in combat.

The opportunity to fly the most advanced aircraft in the world at the highest speeds attainable by a human being is enough to blind any fighter pilot to the most evil intentions.

The war in the sky was almost a war apart from the rest of the war. Fighter pilots lived for the kill and only when the need for air support wakened them from their dream were they aware they had responsibilities to our world.

My habit of attacking Huns dangling from their parachutes led to many arguments in the mess. Some officers, of the Eton and Sandhurst type, thought it was 'unsportsmanlike' to do it. Never having been to a public school, I was unhampered by such considerations of form. I just pointed out that there was a bloody war on, and that I intended to avenge my pals. — Captain James Ira Thomas 'Taffy' Jones, RFC, 37 victories in 3 months W.W.I.

How odd, I dont sense any PTSD in these chaps.    :rolleyes:
Fear? You bet your life...but that all leaves you as you reach combat. Then there's a sense of great excitement, a thrill you can't duplicate anywhere...it's actually fun. Yes, I think it is the most exciting fun in the world. — Lt. Col. Robert B. "Westy" Westbrook, USAAF 6/<--lol@mod

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Re: Sounds like fun to me
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 02:20:56 PM »
Not everybody gets PTSD, but to do rolly eyes like it isn't a real thing is absurd and rather insulting to the guys who did get it. They still served and fought and there is no need to disparage them. It has been known of for a long time, but it used to be called "shell shocked".
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 02:43:09 PM »
Not everybody gets PTSD, but to do rolly eyes like it isn't a real thing is absurd and rather insulting to the guys who did get it.

I wasn't rolling my eyes at the PTSD or vets who got it, it was at another group. You had to be there...  

But you were there, and still...  :headscratch:
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 03:24:02 PM by muzik »
Fear? You bet your life...but that all leaves you as you reach combat. Then there's a sense of great excitement, a thrill you can't duplicate anywhere...it's actually fun. Yes, I think it is the most exciting fun in the world. — Lt. Col. Robert B. "Westy" Westbrook, USAAF 6/<--lol@mod

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 03:13:55 PM »

"They craved the excitement of it all" -Cliff Robertson

"...danger acts like a drug. You need it, you actually seek it out. And a day without danger seemed unsatisfying." -Maj Wolfgang Spate, Luft.

"When my bullets hit an enemy and the enemy plane caught fire I felt excitement and joy." -unidentified Japanese pilot

"The thrill of the [of the chase? and what you're doing?] there was no substitute." -unidentified English? pilot

"If I wasn't crashing aeroplanes, I was crashing motorbikes. It was all part of the game." -Harry Broadherst RAF

"There's nothing greater than, there's nothing greater than, a combat with another aircraft. There's nothing. That's the epitome. There is nothing else. Nothing can touch it." -unidentified US pilot

Perhaps it can become a repository for great quotes by great men, but this thread was originally started in response to some very inconsiderate suggestions that the desire to engage in combat was immoral or the sign of an unintelligent person, suggestions that these men would have chosen to avoid war if it weren't for some sense of morality, responsibility, duty to country or that they might have simply not understood the horrors of war.  So I offer a few more quotes and leave you with some truly great men, unencumbered by politically correct facades.

"To lose a good friend, killed, flying with you, is always a shock. But the human mind has a wonderful capacity for blanking out the things it doesn't want to remember." -Wing Commander Geoffrey Page RAF

"Friendships forged in combat are never forgotten. Better than brotherly love." -Capt. Jack Lifrey

"The heavens were the grandstands and only the gods were the spectators." -Elliot White Springs, WW1 ace

"If I had stayed right up on the combat edge clear up to the landing pattern when we let go of those bombers, and we weren't 25 miles from letting go of em for the day. And I didn't do it. We lost a bomber." -Capt. George Chandler

They understood very well.

For future reference, the title is WW2 Air Combat - Knights in the Sky

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2Dnobip_E4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1U5IwToNmA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6r9A0CF-0Y

Offline smoe

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 05:51:37 PM »
"Heh, whatever......just quit ur yapping and just shoot the enemy down already." - smoe AH2

Offline Seanaldinho

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 06:55:01 PM »
I would like to see the people who make such oblivious and disrespectful comments spend some time in theater.

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 06:09:49 PM »

No hypocrisy could be abashed better than with these words.

http://public.wsu.edu/~hughesc/why_men_love_war.htm

Gotta Love Teddy.

http://www.veteranstoday.com/2010/05/05/why-men-love-war/