Author Topic: P40 Profiles.  (Read 26471 times)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Re: P40 Profiles.
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2011, 04:49:08 PM »
Nope, not a one that I can recall cactus.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2011, 11:01:01 PM »
Lyric, I don't think we have an N's skinned currently. That was the one model that really stood apart and from what I recall wasn't allowed to be skinned on the E.

Well lets stay with the E for now then.  :aok

It would be nice if this one was real.

Nah some artist with a fantasy skin I wonder if there is a profile?

:O Oh look at that.

:headscratch: Photos maybe  

Well I'll be buggered the Japanese had an eye for nose art after all :aok

To bad no captured skins huh. :(

:headscratch: They could not have been that artistic surly?
Maybe there is a US profile of this plane?

:huh

Please let there be a photo of this plane with US markings :pray.

:x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

24TH Pursuit Group. :aok

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Far_East_Air_Force_(United_States)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/24th_Pursuit_Group

:devil :devil :devil :devil :devil :bolt:
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 11:15:33 PM by lyric1 »

Offline cactuskooler

• Skinner Team
  • Gold Member
« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2011, 11:13:37 PM »
:devil :devil :devil :devil :devil :bolt:

Lyric, will you allow me to skin it? :devil
cactus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Noseart

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2011, 11:16:47 PM »
Done.

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2011, 12:34:25 AM »
I think we should call Lyric, Sherlock.
Bring the Beaufighter to Aces High
Raw Prawns      

B.O.S.S. "Beaufighter Operator Support Services" 
Storms and Aeroplanes dont mix

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2011, 01:33:40 AM »

Just looking at all the P40N profiles available speaks to this.  All those white tail, star and bar PTO 40s are N models too. E's were gone by that time.

Close as I can get you.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2011, 10:44:32 AM »

I think we need to ban Lyric from getting within 100 yards of photoshop....  :furious

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2011, 11:14:21 AM »
I think we need to ban Lyric from getting within 100 yards of photoshop....  :furious

:rofl If I could figure out how to use it I would be skinning my self. :aok

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2011, 11:24:08 AM »
So you found all those terrible photoshops? LOL I thought you did them yourself!

Somebody somewhere had way too much time on their hands at colesaircraft.com

EDIT: I realize that maybe I'm not making my thoughts clear.

I see that as an intentional fabrication of a paint scheme. The photos don't look all that real and they certainly don't indicate the color artwork as it is shown.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 11:28:31 AM by Krusty »

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: July 21, 2011, 11:44:05 AM »
So you found all those terrible photoshops? LOL I thought you did them yourself!

Somebody somewhere had way too much time on their hands at colesaircraft.com

EDIT: I realize that maybe I'm not making my thoughts clear.

I see that as an intentional fabrication of a paint scheme. The photos don't look all that real and they certainly don't indicate the color artwork as it is shown.
From what I understand the photos were all out of a Japanese magazine called Asahigraph that was printed during the war. The web site by Colescraft did not have the last photo of the right hand side that one I happened to find on line else where. It is clearly out of a book as you can see the page split where the nose should be.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rlz=1T4GGHP_enUS434US435&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=GVYoTuyRD-bo0QG8n-HFCg&ved=0CDoQBSgA&q=asahi+graph+magazine+1943&spell=1&biw=1039&bih=657

http://cs.finescale.com/FSMCS/forums/p/123669/1240668.aspx#1240668

http://colesaircraft.com/1-09-p40e.html

http://corregidor.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=collecting&action=post&thread=691&quote=4484&page=1

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/aviation/japanese-captured-p-40e-warhawk-22189.html

Why would the Japanese back in the 1940's touch up these pictures in this manner? Also the Wiki link said two P40's were captured by the Japanese & the link he has posted shows two Captured & repainted p40's.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 11:47:00 AM by lyric1 »

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #55 on: July 21, 2011, 12:30:11 PM »
I was more under the assumption they were recent touch-ups. However they have censored things before, like simply taking out tail markings on planes being flown by test/capture units, etc.

Okay, assuming the photos are real, I don't see them as a bright orange bird's head. I don't know where you get orange [edit: not YOU you... you all, "they" etc], unless some verbal/text description was put down in writing at the time.

Throughout many air forces there are special camo markings on noses of aircraft. The Germans (we have many 109s with dotted or special cowlings on the nose), the Italians (see my C205 with brown nose showing but splinter uppers), and others as well. The nose was the most prominent part and it stuck up the most. Putting the plane under camo nets and revetments and the like often left them with the visible nose, so often you had this touched up with special camo.

To me, looking at those pictures, under the new assumption they're actual photos: That doesn't look like orange. Nor does it look like orange and yellow flame-like patterns. The quality of the photos and the scans are so poor that the noise introduced into the original photo is what they are seeing and not the actual paint that was there. That's my opinion.

It looks like winter whitewash that's flaked off mostly. It also looks like there are brush strokes in it, like it was roughly applied and quickly. There is also the possibility they painted over certain areas that needed repairs and touchups with their own color of green. They had several shades and some of the field-applied greens on zekes and Kis etc, were rather pale.

In a couple of the photos it looks like a more solid color, but then in others you see the paint is gone, flaked off, or perhaps "baked on" to the point it's blending in with the normal Olive Drab coloring.

See here:

or here:

Look at the shades of green around the lower cowling. You can see in other angles and other pictures it appears whatever this is was applied all the way around and underneath. However in the above photos it is already resembling the shades of OD green on other parts of the airframe. At least, patches are starting to look that way.

You can see the darker color on the spinner and cowling. The Japanese were not in the habit of painting teeth on any of their planes, nor eyes. The teeth and eyes are very much in the US pattern of markings.

I suggest this is a top coat, either protective after repair or perhaps some camo green as a temporary measure, and they simply painted it OVER the AVG-style shark's teeth.

That is what it looks like. That is the far more likely answer. There also were a limited number of captured P-40Es in use by the Japanese. They are fairly well documented photographically and historically. Some sources say they had 10 operational.

There is no record so far as I have read about a bright blazoned parrot headed P-40 (other than the P-40N in US stateside training service). I suspect sensationalizing and misinterpretation of old photos at this point.

EDIT: The ww2aircraft link you listed seems to suggest the US crews painted it this way. While not outside the realm of possibility I am still doubtful as to the color used and the intent. They had some very creative and elaborate paintings, cat faces, grotesque human skulls, sabertooth teeth... This is rather abstract and almost Van Gogh-ish and does not seem to fit artwork. The teeth and eye, sure, but the rest? I seriously doubt it.

P.S. When would it have had US markings? Apparently it was captured off the ship, flown to Japan, and repainted all-green for propoganda movies....

Never used in service regardless.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 12:34:21 PM by Krusty »

Offline PropHawk

• Copper Member
« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2011, 02:15:15 PM »
82sqn aboriginie downing the zero with a boomerang is classic :D :aok
I want that boomerang! But the Brewster and I 16 will do. Oh and the B29!
I love WWI planes but they dont like me at all. :(
-------------------------------
Appointed by the masses.
The people have spoken.
They just didn't say anything intellegent... - Von Messa

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: July 21, 2011, 02:55:14 PM »

It looks like winter whitewash that's flaked off mostly. It also looks like there are brush strokes in it, like it was roughly applied and quickly. There is also the possibility they painted over certain areas that needed repairs and touchups with their own color of green. They had several shades and some of the field-applied greens on zekes and Kis etc, were rather pale.

In a couple of the photos it looks like a more solid color, but then in others you see the paint is gone, flaked off, or perhaps "baked on" to the point it's blending in with the normal Olive Drab coloring.

See here:

(Image removed from quote.)

or here:

Look at the shades of green around the lower cowling. You can see in other angles and other pictures it appears whatever this is was applied all the way around and underneath. However in the above photos it is already resembling the shades of OD green on other parts of the airframe. At least, patches are starting to look that way.

You can see the darker color on the spinner and cowling. The Japanese were not in the habit of painting teeth on any of their planes, nor eyes. The teeth and eyes are very much in the US pattern of markings.

I suggest this is a top coat, either protective after repair or perhaps some camo green as a temporary measure, and they simply painted it OVER the AVG-style shark's teeth.

That is what it looks like. That is the far more likely answer. There also were a limited number of captured P-40Es in use by the Japanese. They are fairly well documented photographically and historically. Some sources say they had 10 operational.

There is no record so far as I have read about a bright blazoned parrot headed P-40 (other than the P-40N in US stateside training service). I suspect sensationalizing and misinterpretation of old photos at this point.

EDIT: The ww2aircraft link you listed seems to suggest the US crews painted it this way. While not outside the realm of possibility I am still doubtful as to the color used and the intent. They had some very creative and elaborate paintings, cat faces, grotesque human skulls, sabertooth teeth... This is rather abstract and almost Van Gogh-ish and does not seem to fit artwork. The teeth and eye, sure, but the rest? I seriously doubt it.

P.S. When would it have had US markings? Apparently it was captured off the ship, flown to Japan, and repainted all-green for propaganda movies....

Never used in service regardless.
Where on earth would winter white wash come in to the mix on an aircraft assigned to the Equator?

I believe that the plane in question was not photographed in Japan it was one of two captured by the Japanese at some airfield based off the Wiki link. Also you will notice not all the people in those photos are Japanese I would agree with the link that the US crews were forced to show the Japanese what was what with this plane after they were captured.

As far as different colours painted on by US service men as repair work? Possible I guess it just seems to precisely painted evenly around the entire plane in the same pattern on both sides.

As far as no record is concerned of this plane by the US it is understandable in that they were captured & a bunch of those guys did not make it past the death march & camp life. Convenient excuse I admit but tragically probably true.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #58 on: July 21, 2011, 02:56:40 PM »
Sorry, I was saying "it looks like this" not "it is this" -- I don't think it's white, but some other shade of green perhaps..

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #59 on: July 21, 2011, 02:59:52 PM »
As far as different colours painted on by US service men as repair work? Possible I guess it just seems to precisely painted evenly around the entire plane in the same pattern on both sides.

It's not that precise. It's loose free-hand-style paint (whatever the color). the application is very rough and only generally stretches from the canopy frame down to the cooling flaps. Even then as you can see in the photos whatever it is flakes off or fades/bakes into the surrounding color to the point of disappearing in certain areas. It also looks semi-transparent and I get the impression it's coated over the eye/teeth. This would correspond to being rougly and quickly applied, rather than a precise display.

EDIT: P.S. It's not even symmetrical. It's just splashed on there, whatever it is.

It looks like it meets the center of the windscreen front panel on one side, and goes back halfway to the sliding canopy on the other. Definitely not an intentional pattern. Repairs or makeshift camo is still the prime candidate.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 03:03:22 PM by Krusty »