Author Topic: P40 Profiles.  (Read 26211 times)

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
Re: P40 Profiles.
« Reply #60 on: July 21, 2011, 03:08:34 PM »
Sorry, I was saying "it looks like this" not "it is this" -- I don't think it's white, but some other shade of green perhaps..
:aok Got it. :aok

In fact I think these photos should be the ones most likely to base anything off of.

The others are of such poor quality that you can read a lot in to them as for example this one you pointed out.

I think the sun brightness & angle has parts to play here for example the canopy area seems to have that same washed out white look to it.

I am a member on one of the sights that the artist did the profile of let me post on it & see what else he has.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #61 on: July 21, 2011, 03:11:08 PM »
It's not that precise. It's loose free-hand-style paint (whatever the color). the application is very rough and only generally stretches from the canopy frame down to the cooling flaps. Even then as you can see in the photos whatever it is flakes off or fades/bakes into the surrounding color to the point of disappearing in certain areas. It also looks semi-transparent and I get the impression it's coated over the eye/teeth. This would correspond to being roughly and quickly applied, rather than a precise display.

EDIT: P.S. It's not even symmetrical. It's just splashed on there, whatever it is.

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

It looks like it meets the center of the windscreen front panel on one side, and goes back halfway to the sliding canopy on the other. Definitely not an intentional pattern. Repairs or makeshift camo is still the prime candidate.
Not sure I agree with you yet so let me touch base & see what the artist has from that magazine?

Offline cactuskooler

• Skinner Team
  • Gold Member
« Reply #62 on: July 21, 2011, 03:25:20 PM »
I am a member on one of the sights that the artist did the profile of let me post on it & see what else he has.

If you find him, see if you can find out what specific issue of Asahigraph it is in.
cactus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Noseart

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #63 on: July 21, 2011, 03:42:00 PM »

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #64 on: July 21, 2011, 04:01:43 PM »

Throughout many air forces there are special camo markings on noses of aircraft. The Germans (we have many 109s with dotted or special cowlings on the nose), the Italians (see my C205 with brown nose showing but splinter uppers), and others as well. The nose was the most prominent part and it stuck up the most. Putting the plane under camo nets and revetments and the like often left them with the visible nose, so often you had this touched up with special camo.

To me, looking at those pictures, under the new assumption they're actual photos: That doesn't look like orange. Nor does it look like orange and yellow flame-like patterns. The quality of the photos and the scans are so poor that the noise introduced into the original photo is what they are seeing and not the actual paint that was there. That's my opinion.

I remembered your nose out of the Camo netting from another thread & this seems to be the most logical as in an example of this Hurricane that was based out of the CBI some place. I cant find an actual photo of this plane but I do feel that the p40 may be like the nose of this diecast & they painted the teeth & eyes on afterwards?

Thoughts.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #65 on: July 22, 2011, 04:33:49 PM »
But you agree it's not some fiery red/orange bird's head, yes?

There's a parallel issue with one 109F airframe, supposedly of a red nose. Striking bird. Nice looking profiles. Even some scale models with older decals/profiles of the red nose.

Problem is, it never existed. It was a standard yellow nose if anything at all. Much like the all-yellow Fw190, some urban legen spawned by an active imagination at one point in time and then perpetuated and reprinted too many times.

I think this case of the P-40 (and the profiles) is currently at the "active imagination" stage, and 20 years from now people will be swearing up and down that it was a bird's head based on the artwork interpretation in that magazine :P

Offline Fencer51

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #66 on: July 22, 2011, 06:12:52 PM »
Problem is, it never existed. It was a standard yellow nose if anything at all. Much like the all-yellow Fw190, some urban legen spawned by an active imagination at one point in time and then perpetuated and reprinted too many times.

The "all yellow" Fw190 features prominently in one chapter in "The Big Show" by Piere Clostermann.
Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #67 on: July 22, 2011, 11:09:59 PM »
If you find him, see if you can find out what specific issue of Asahigraph it is in.
Got a reply on the skin from Ron Cole he sent me a email & here it is.

Rodney,

Well, nice to hear from you!  Interesting to learn about interest in the Japanese P-40.  Some time ago I had a deal where I gave away a signed print of that aircraft to everyone who built a scale model of it.

Those Asahigraph photos came from a friend in Japan who collects such things.  I only know that the accompanying captions described that the aircraft was captured in the Philippines and depicted American crew being forced to train the Japanese in its operation. Since then I've learned elsewhere that the aircraft was one of several P-40s that were brought to the Philippines by blockade runners and actually arrived in early 1942, and that the shark's mouth scheme was painted by its crew to "emulate the Flying Tigers" of China. 

I have no other information.   

I actually have that other shot as well, but might not have included it on my site (I accidentally saved them in different folders on my drive).  Thank you, though!   

All the best,

Ron Cole

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #68 on: July 23, 2011, 12:09:40 AM »
But you agree it's not some fiery red/orange bird's head, yes?

I found this today.

I Just don't know what colour they painted this aircraft?

I would say what ever was about at the time.

Yellow I think around the outer edges of the eyes I think they are actually bigger than Coles profile. A yellow eye ball as well?

So what is the rest of it? A lighter colour no question but what? I think it was brushed & not sprayed on to many square edges for that. Possibly a light yellow wash & the olive drab is bleeding through?

I think this one is just up to artist interpretation here.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #69 on: July 23, 2011, 03:24:04 PM »
Some Russian.

Offline Wildcat1

• Gold Member
« Reply #70 on: July 23, 2011, 09:28:29 PM »
After my time in the AvA last night, I am definitely skinning a Russian P-40
having fun and getting killed since tour 110
The King of 'Cobras. 350th FG, Tunisia 2016

Air Traffic Controller (Air Warfare/Surface Warfare) 2nd Class, USS John C. Stennis CVN-74

Offline Raphael

• Gold Member
« Reply #71 on: July 24, 2011, 09:22:45 AM »
WHAT!?!?! A BRAZILLAN P40!?!?! i always thougt we only had p47s and only got in action at 1943 or something, are you sure that is correct!? i see one there with the brazillian allied star
Remember 08/08/2012
 Youtube videos - http://www.youtube.com/user/raphael103/featured
Game ID => Raphael
XO of Jg5

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #72 on: July 24, 2011, 02:50:13 PM »
WHAT!?!?! A BRAZILLAN P40!?!?! i always thougt we only had p47s and only got in action at 1943 or something, are you sure that is correct!? i see one there with the brazillian allied star
I think they were only trainers in Brazil I have found none as of yet that were used in combat.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #73 on: July 24, 2011, 10:19:50 PM »

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #74 on: July 24, 2011, 10:42:26 PM »
Wish we had the N.  Seems to have all the cooler skins.
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus