Author Topic: "Daddy's Girl"  (Read 4502 times)

Offline Nutzoid

• Nickel Member
"Daddy's Girl"
« on: July 29, 2011, 01:27:18 PM »

This would be a really nice addition and a first of the 359th FG I believe!
Nutz
C co. 1st Bn 7 CAV 1st Cav Div  " Garry Owen"

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Re: "Daddy's Girl"
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 04:52:50 PM »
Its a favorite of mine.   If I could figure how to get a look like Cactus or Fester or Greebo I'd be all over it.  I've never seen it depicted with a spiral stripe on the spinner.  I've had a few 51s in mind if I ever get time to get into skinning again and really improve my technique.   I'd love to get a few 51s into the game.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 05:07:40 PM by oboe »

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 04:59:07 PM »
It is a cool profile. :aok

That aside with new slots becoming available could we please put a few other country's on the roster for D skins besides the current two we have.

Offline TwinBoom

• Gold Member
      • 39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 06:23:16 PM »
TBs Sounds 
39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"NOSEART

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 07:31:03 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

This would be a really nice addition and a first of the 359th FG I believe!
Nutz

Agreed.... this is the 1/48 tamiya P-51 I'm going to skin.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline Nutzoid

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 02:44:35 PM »
Thanks Shane, u da man!

Nutz
C co. 1st Bn 7 CAV 1st Cav Div  " Garry Owen"

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 10:22:17 PM »
Thanks Shane, u da man!

Nutz

ahem.. a model... plastic... not in-game (ask Ink for that  :noid  :aok )
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 12:47:32 PM »
This is just the Daddy's Girl scheme on my new natural metal base - again a real early version; it lacks layer balance and color saturation adjustments, etc.   Just did it to see what the scheme looks like on the base, and to see if there is any interest in having me continue to work on her:

This one is tough to gauge the colors on - I'm finding conflicting info as to the shade of green on the nose and the blue rudder.   I went with the more Olive Drab over the brighter green, but I think it needs to be darker, and the blue toned down a bit too.   Also I'm not sure if the fuselage ID code letters are shadowed or outlined in the red trim.

What'chall think?

Offline 007Rusty

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 12:51:48 PM »
                                      :aok  :rock

This is just the Daddy's Girl scheme on my new natural metal base - again a real early version; it lacks layer balance and color saturation adjustments, etc.   Just did it to see what the scheme looks like on the base, and to see if there is any interest in having me continue to work on her:

This one is tough to gauge the colors on - I'm finding conflicting info as to the shade of green on the nose and the blue rudder.   I went with the more Olive Drab over the brighter green, but I think it needs to be darker, and the blue toned down a bit too.   Also I'm not sure if the fuselage ID code letters are shadowed or outlined in the red trim.

What'chall think?

C.O. 444TH AIR MAFIA
 WD40 (FS0)

Offline IrishOne

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2011, 12:55:36 PM »

What'chall think?

:aok    :rock
-AoM-

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2011, 03:09:43 PM »
This is just the Daddy's Girl scheme on my new natural metal base - again a real early version; it lacks layer balance and color saturation adjustments, etc.   Just did it to see what the scheme looks like on the base, and to see if there is any interest in having me continue to work on her:

What'chall think?

Keep working on it... here some more reference material.

http://www.mustangsmustangs.com/p-51/survivors/pages/44-63807.shtml

Also the ailerons are blue?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 03:21:35 PM by Shane »

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2011, 06:37:32 PM »
The color on the nose is described in the 359th history as "Forest Green".  Towards the end of the war you'd find some with just OD in it's place.  Wetmore's bird wouldn't have been one of those.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2011, 07:00:33 PM »
Maj. Ray S “X-Ray Eyes” Wetmore, Kerman, CA., 370th Fighter Squadron. P-51D 44-14733 “Daddy’s Girl”.

P-51B “Daddy’s Girl”.

P-51D 44-14733 “Daddy’s Girl”.

at some point the kill marks were transfered to the canopy.. here you can see both

here just the canopy

http://www.littlefriends.co.uk/gallery.php?Group=359

:salute
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 09:02:40 PM by Megalodon »
Okay..Add 2 Country's at once, Australia and France next plane update Add ...CAC Boomerang and the Dewoitine D.520

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2011, 07:37:09 PM »
Apparently there has been some debate about the kill markings as to whether they were on the canopy or the fuselage first.  The author of the 359th History believes that originally they were on the canopy rail and when they were touching up some paint, moved them to the fuselage.  The photo showing both being taken at that time

The second photo in megaladon's post shows Wetmore standing on the wing of his P51B.  There are decent photos of that one if someone wants to do his B model
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2011, 07:39:35 PM »
Hey I think those pictures posted match a profile I saw where the inside edge of the star and bar was lined with yellow, and "Daddy's Girl" itself was yellow instead of white...