Author Topic: LAN/WAN Professional Scam?  (Read 8519 times)

Offline Plazus

• Gold Member
LAN/WAN Professional Scam?
« on: August 02, 2011, 02:18:45 PM »
Is this company a scam? A lot of sources seem to be pointing in the direction of "stay away". Unfortunately I did not hear about this "scam" until just today. I had already paid for the lab access and guide fees, which came to be about $400. I was given an account and have access to a lot of the materials online. Everything "looks legit" but I am not real sure about the whole thing. I hear Cisco and Careerbuilder banned that company from their sites. If all this is true, how would I be able to get myself out of this?

http://www.lanwanprofessional.com/home_index.php
Plazus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Axis vs Allies

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
Re: LAN/WAN Professional Scam?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 02:38:50 PM »
Just as a courtesy I tried to link out from my corporate network. It's pretty stingy when it comes to blocking any kind of scammy sites. As of right now, anyway, this thing isn't filtered.

OTOH, maybe you just kissed 400 bux bye-bye. Hope you didn't use a credit card with any kind of decent limit...
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline Plazus

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 02:48:11 PM »
I used my debit card and my limit is $500 per day. I just went to my bank and talked to them about this. The $400 transaction has not cleared the bank yet and I am going to contact this company and ask for my refund back. Doubt I will get it back, considering the nature of the issue. I'll be writing down a bunch of numbers and names to give to the bank as well when I talk to these people. My bank will attempt to bill them and pend an investigation on this matter.
Plazus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Axis vs Allies

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 02:56:23 PM »
Best to jump on it. That's the upside of the credit card; fraud protection and the dispute.
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 03:28:16 PM »
Ewww Cisco...

Offline Plazus

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 05:25:39 PM »
Did some more research about this company and apparently they have a history of changing their names every few years. The vast majority of students often got screwed and wound up owing the company $25,000. All because they signed a piece of paper that was very misleading which actually promised little to nothing in return. Many of the students never got a job or internship during or after their "certification training".

For those who are actively job hunting online, or anywhere, just be careful. There are a lot of well crafted scams out there that will fool people into thinking that their company is legit. I made the mistake of falling for a scam and will probably feel the sting from it for a while.

The job market can be a shady thing sometimes.
Plazus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Axis vs Allies

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 06:29:38 PM »
depending on your credit card holder or is it a debit visa? most have protection for purchases and such. Last year i had ADT security and canceled it after my required time was up, the next few months they kept charging my Visa Debit the monthly service fee, i contacted my bank and explained to them i canceled the service and the bank just reimbursed my account for the charges, and of course i had my account numbers changed.  some cards carry all types of protection, call your card holder right away and most likey you will have to change your account numbers or they will still keep charging you, good luck
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline rogwar

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 09:56:24 PM »
I did some reading. You better get out of that deal soon. Call your bank tomorrow immediately.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 09:32:30 AM »
I always smell a rat when money is required up front. Some are on the up and up but most are not. That is why I did the quick check when you posted about it.

Err on the side of caution always.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Plazus

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 10:15:24 AM »
depending on your credit card holder or is it a debit visa? most have protection for purchases and such. Last year i had ADT security and canceled it after my required time was up, the next few months they kept charging my Visa Debit the monthly service fee, i contacted my bank and explained to them i canceled the service and the bank just reimbursed my account for the charges, and of course i had my account numbers changed.  some cards carry all types of protection, call your card holder right away and most likey you will have to change your account numbers or they will still keep charging you, good luck

I have debit master card. I contacted the bank yesterday and told them the story. The transaction hasn't cleared the bank yet. They advised first to ask for a refund from the company. If they do not refund my money back, they will bill LAN/WAN the money that I payed them ($398). If there is no response, they will send out an investigation.

The LAN/WAN company has my debit card information. I may consider changing my debit card and/or account number soon if things don't look so good.

I have also wrote down a bunch of people's names and numbers to provide to my bank. My bank will be getting that information today when I stop in to talk to them.
Plazus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Axis vs Allies

Offline Plazus

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 10:27:02 AM »
I always smell a rat when money is required up front. Some are on the up and up but most are not. That is why I did the quick check when you posted about it.

Err on the side of caution always.

When I was speaking with them during my "phone interview", this email was sent to me. I have to admit, this was what suckered me into doing this training business with them:

This is official confirmation that you have been approved to register for Stage 2 - CCNA Remote Hands-On and Certification Training Program.  Your authorization to register for Stage 2 is based solely on credentials listed in your application and the information you provided in your phone assessment. 

To register, please visit www.lanwanprofessional.com and login to the stage 1 website as you have been doing many times before; ( use your same login and password you were given when you first applied)you should see a familiar webpage with “Technical Support/Program Managers” on the left and “Community & Announcements” on the right; if you don’t see the described web page, click on the “Home” link.

In the middle of your screen, you will notice “Programs overview and Details”; click on the link next to “Qualify”, labeled “ CCNA Remote Hands-On/Cert Training.; Scroll to the bottom and insert or copy and paste the authorization number located below and then click on “Click Here To Register”; pay for your material fees and lab access fees.  Upon registration, I will contact you within 2 business days to finalize the registration process.  Please note that your authorization number will expired on the deadline below and your authorization to receive $3,275 in training will be void immediately after the deadline.  The following is the authorization number and deadline:

10 digit authorization number:

Authorization Deadline:  Monday, August 1, 2011, 11:59 pm (PST)*

*Please note that we currently have significantly more qualified and interested candidates than we have spots available for Stage 2.  For this reason, your authorization to register for stage 2 is only valid until the deadline listed above.  If you do not register by the deadline, your authorization will be reassigned to the next qualified candidate.  Please read below for additional details regarding the Stage 2 - CCNA Remote Training.

STAGE 2 - CCNA REMOTE TRAINING - GET CCNA CERTIFIED & QUALIFY FOR FULL ACCEPTANCE

The Stage 2 - CCNA Remote Hands-On and Certification Training Program is a comprehensive training program designed to get you fully certified as a Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) and ensure that you can backup your certification with real world Cisco hands-on skills. During your CWA hands-on training, you will receive real world Cisco hands-on training equivalent to a Cisco administrator with 1 to 2 years of proven work experience. Technologies covered during your hands-on training include Cisco IOS, HyperTerminal, CDP, VLAN, VTP, STP, SVI, Frame Relay, Serial, RIP2, EIGRP, OSPF, NAT, PAT and much more.

Upon successful completion of the hands-on portion of your Cisco training, you receive Cisco certification prep training designed to get you fully certified as a Cisco Certified Network Associate. The training you receive is comparable to a 3 month fulltime training program with no time away from work/home.  All candidates can select from a moderately paced part-time 10 week training schedule to a more aggressively paced fulltime 4 week training schedule. The following is a breakdown of our program:

Part-time / Fulltime Schedule                   Description                                                                        Hours                    Value                    You Pay

Week 1&2 / Preload                       Cisco Technology Concepts Preload                                         40 Hrs                    Included                    Included

Week 3&4 / Week 1                        WAN Admin Hands-On Training                                                 40 Hrs                    Included                    Included

Week 5&6 / Week 2                        Certified WAN Admin (CWA) Hands-On                                 40 Hrs                    Included                    Included

Week 7&8 / Week 3                        CCNA Technical Concepts Solidification                                  40 Hrs                    Included                    Included

Week 9&10/ Week 4                      CCNA Remote Cert Training & Testing                                     40 Hrs                   Included                    Included

Total                                                                                                                                                                      200 Hrs                    $3,275                            $0*

*STAGE TWO GOAL, COSTS & FULL WAIVER OF TRAINING FEES IF YOU ARE NOT ACCEPTED

The primary goal of Stage 2 - CCNA Remote Hands-On and Certification Training Program is designed to get you fully certified as a Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) and ensure that you can backup this certification with real world Cisco hands-on skills.  This is a necessary step in ensuring that you have a credentials to attain immediate employment.  The secondary goal of Stage 2 - CCNA Remote Hands-On and Certification Training is to allow you to get a more extensive experience of our service prior to making any serious commitment and for LAN/WAN Professional to verify your skills and credentials. 

If you are not fully accepted into our program during stage 2 or choose not to move forward for any reasons, you receive $3,275 in comprehensive CCNA hands-on and certification training and part ways with no additional obligations or conditions.  Please note that you will be responsible for lab access ($299), digital materials ($99) and exam fees.  Candidates who desire to move forward for full acceptance into our program can apply for full acceptance during stage 2.  If you are fully accepted into our program, 100% of your lab access and materials fees will be fully reimbursed upon successful completion of your program obligations. 

Congratulations on your approval.  I look forward to a long and mutually beneficial relationship.

In the bolded paragraph above, I heard that they do not follow through with their reimbursement promises.
Plazus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Axis vs Allies

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2011, 12:04:50 PM »
let me tell you a little thing about credit cards.  any problems with merchant, you get your money back.  they charge, more than what you authorized, you get your money back, they do unauthorized transactions, you get your money back.  all it takes is a phone call.

on the other hand, if you pay with a debit card, chances are, your money is gone.  unless there some kind of unauthorized charges.

so always pay with a credit card online on merchants.  never, ever pay with adebit card.

that thing they credit card companies tell you about not being liable for unauthorized charges, it's because that is the law.  any problems with the quality of whatever you bought, you dont have to pay it, as long as you return it, that is also by law.  so you would have been pretty much covered if you had used a credit card, since it looks like they misrepresented.  but with a debit card, who knows.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2011, 01:29:44 PM »
let me tell you a little thing about credit cards.  any problems with merchant, you get your money back.  they charge, more than what you authorized, you get your money back, they do unauthorized transactions, you get your money back.  all it takes is a phone call.

on the other hand, if you pay with a debit card, chances are, your money is gone.  unless there some kind of unauthorized charges.

so always pay with a credit card online on merchants.  never, ever pay with adebit card.

that thing they credit card companies tell you about not being liable for unauthorized charges, it's because that is the law.  any problems with the quality of whatever you bought, you dont have to pay it, as long as you return it, that is also by law.  so you would have been pretty much covered if you had used a credit card, since it looks like they misrepresented.  but with a debit card, who knows.

semp

Semp, my Wellsfargo platinum bussiness debit card has more bells and whistles that come with it, they will reimburse for unauthorized charges, overcharges, they cover overdrafts plus if anthing i buy with my card is lost or stolen or damaged it gets replacement value, or replaced, which ever i prefer, i had a problem with ADT home security services, my bank handled it within days.

Applebee's charged me twice for the same meal and added a nice tip on a third charge ( i left a cash tip)  i called my bank and got all the charges back, Applebee's called to apologize i told them to just stuff it, my server knew i left a cash tip i seen her pocket it as i walked away to pay upfront ( never give the server your Card) i asked.. why run my card numbers 3 times then, i only gave them the card one time. they didnt have an answer other than to play the blame game. but i've heard alot of bad news about this Applebee's.
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2011, 01:54:02 PM »
I've experienced first hand wells fargo. I would never bank with them again. Rife with fraud. Even though it was the employees it is still wells fargo to blame.

I will not go into detail except to say your account is only as safe as all the individuals at the bank that have access to it.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2011, 02:09:20 PM »

semp

There is a lot of confusion about the whole debit vs. credit thing.  Typically speaking, a debit card that is processed through as a credit card (as most MC/Visa debit card purchases are) are protected by the same rules as credit cards are.  In other words, the same protections apply.

However if it was processed through as a debit card (online transactions very rarely are because of the PIN number requirement) then this is the same thing as writing a check and is much riskier as a result.

This is a big reason why the merchant fees for a credit transaction are always much higher than the fees for a debit transaction.  Since the CC companies (MC/Visa) often have to eat some of these charges they compensate for it by charging higher fees.  Of course profit plays a big role also.