Author Topic: I <3 LOGISTICS!  (Read 2248 times)

Offline wil3ur

• Silver Member
I <3 LOGISTICS!
« on: August 19, 2011, 09:04:21 PM »
OK... to start off before anyone says wrong room, this isn't a 'wish list' posting, but an area to discuss a possible enhancement we may wish would happen... so Nyah!

I've put this forth in a previous post, but I think it may deserve it's own thread since I see the same thread popping up again and again in regards to CV's.

My thoughts would be to have support fleets for CV's, much like the trucks that run to bases to resupply these.  These would be needed to maintain operations and also work towards rebuilding a damaged fleet.  Basically, the support fleet leaves the port of call and makes a B-Line for it's fleet (following water of course).  The cons of this become immediately apparent...  The farther away from port you get, the longer resupply will take, and the greater chance for interception (DUH?!?!).

This adds two great aspects to the game...  You now have the ability to utilize attack craft for one of their main purposes, attacking soft targets, especially trains and convoys, and also would correct the issue of hiding carriers.

Carriers would have a 'bleed' set on their resources based on an over time equation.  Over time would be used because if were based on planes or anything realistic people would be really really mad...  But basically, this bleed on effectiveness (Droptanks are disabled...  Ordinance is disabled) would make the use of a carrier under assault a much harder task.  In addition, the CV would always require supplies, so convoys would always need to be sent.  If the carrier is hidden, supply convoys could be tracked.  If the base is under enemy control, the convoys cease, and the carrier becomes nearly useless (25% fuel no ord fighters only?).

This would also add the use of scout planes, particularly PBY's which I'd love to see in game to the overall aspect of gameplay while not removing anything from anybody.  I see this is a 'win win'.  I'd love to hear any suggestions or thoughts in regards to /this/ topic...

"look at me I am making a derogatory remark to the OP"

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
Re: I <3 LOGISTICS!
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 09:40:26 PM »
In addition, the CV would always require supplies, so convoys would always need to be sent.  If the carrier is hidden, supply convoys could be tracked. 

Agreed and way ahead of you on that one.

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,307733.0.html

If they could flesh out the strategic war it would give bomber guys something to do (besides hit FH), give the war winning guys something to do (besides run NOE mission and bail at the first sign of trouble), and tie in the furballers with the war winners for the first time ever.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline wil3ur

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 11:33:11 AM »
Man... reading that thread I still don't see any reason why something like this shouldn't be implemented.

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 11:35:30 AM »
Agreed and way ahead of you on that one.

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,307733.0.html

If they could flesh out the strategic war it would give bomber guys something to do (besides hit FH), give the war winning guys something to do (besides run NOE mission and bail at the first sign of trouble), and tie in the furballers with the war winners for the first time ever.

Wow...this might really work.  Nice fellas...I still get to furball with JUGgler and everyone else gets to do what they want all to a strategic end.  So, let me get this straight...everyone wins on this?  That cannot be...there must be a problem with this.   Soooo........

"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline wil3ur

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 11:52:42 AM »
Wow...this might really work.  Nice fellas...I still get to furball with JUGgler and everyone else gets to do what they want all to a strategic end.  So, let me get this straight...everyone wins on this?  That cannot be...there must be a problem with this.   Soooo........

(Image removed from quote.)

I practiced my Jedi Mind Tricks for a good 5 minutes on that button.

Offline IrishOne

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 12:24:54 PM »

:lol     
-AoM-

Offline mipoikel

• Gold Member
      • http://www.llv32.org
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 05:16:52 AM »
+1 for idea.  :aok
I am a spy!

Offline ozrocker

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 08:37:59 AM »
:aok That's what I was fixed on! If you stare long enough,
you can almost visualize chest heaving from breathing :D

+1 on idea, sounds like it would add a lot to game.

:cheers: Oz

Flying and dying since Tour 29
The world is grown so bad. That wrens make prey where eagles dare not perch.- Shakespeare

30% Disabled Vet  US ARMY- 11C2H 2/32 AR. 3rd AD, 3/67AR. 2nd AD, 2/64 AR. 3rd ID, ABGD Command TRADOC, 1/16th INF. 1st ID

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 01:40:31 PM »
I have read this idea and approve of it's inception.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 01:44:37 PM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Rich52

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 02:05:15 PM »
As much as I love and admire the PBY Catalina do you really see anyone in the game tooling along at 190 mph, climb rate of 1,000' per min, looking for CVs ?
Yes, your on "Ignore"

Offline G0ALY

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 02:11:39 PM »
As much as I love and admire the PBY Catalina do you really see anyone in the game tooling along at 190 mph, climb rate of 1,000' per min, looking for CVs ?

Give seaplanes the ability to up at ports that do not have an airstrip (As long as the VH had not been destroyed.)… Arm them with torpedoes, bombs,  And dare I dream… MINES!

Then yes, you would see a lot of players tooling around in them.
My password at work had to contain exactly 8 characters… I chose Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.

Offline Rich52

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2011, 02:28:50 PM »
The conditions that made the PBY a success in the war are not present in the game. We dont have a vast pacific, most of it out of enemy fighter range. We dont have downed pilots, "and who would fly 2 hours to save one anyway"? We dont have night attacks on enemy convoys. Dont have submarines. All we have are CVs to bomb, and the PBY is so poorly defended it would be dead meat before it even got close to the CV. Players might upp a PBY once and then they'd go right back to B-26s, JU-88s, Lancs, 17s, 24s, all of which have vastly superior defensive firepower and/or bomb loads, and performance. I mean when was the last time you saw a Betty in LWA ? And the Betty is a racehorse compared to the PBY.

We need a Soviet level bomber. Not another hangar queen. All due respect.

Yes, your on "Ignore"

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2011, 02:45:34 PM »
I though this post was going to be about a player starting a new job @ brown, and it made me think of their commerical jingle as applied to AH.
This all I got but I bet there some pretty creative minds out there:

When trucks move sup-plies
to an airfield of size,
that's Lo-gis-tics

When a train on the track
shoots you down with its ack,
that's Lo-gis-tics

When a barge on the Seas
fills a port with CVs,
that's Lo-gis-tics
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 04:38:16 PM by oboe »

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2011, 04:13:29 PM »

Raises hand. (I suck at pretty much everything else.)

+1,000,000 for the idea.

ditto for the buttons image there, its uh, hypnotic and I , uh,  sorta , uh      .....                   ,
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB

Offline wil3ur

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2011, 05:20:20 PM »
 :banana: :banana: :banana:

I though this post was going to be about a player starting a new job @ brown, and it made me think of their commerical jingle as applied to AH.
This all I got but I bet there some pretty creative minds out there:

When trucks move sup-plies
to an airfield of size,
that's Lo-gis-tics

When a train on the track
shoots you down with its ack,
that's Lo-gis-tics

When a barge on the Seas
fills a port with CVs,
that's Lo-gis-tics