Author Topic: power supply  (Read 898 times)

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
power supply
« on: October 04, 2011, 09:15:25 AM »
Howdy,

I am in the beginning stages of purchasing a new cp. I have come across some decent machines with good graphics cards, plenty of RAM, but with a relatively low power supply. What wattage should I be looking for?
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: power supply
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 09:23:13 AM »
depends on your internals.....if you have high end stuff you need more power.....besides a PS is not something you

1- wanna skimp on
2- can not go too much power...( I have a thousand watt but a very low draw GC)

certain companies have better quality.....its open to debate which is the best

800 watts should be more then enough for most higher end systems...but if you have a lot peripherals go with 1,000.

my .02$

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 09:26:07 AM »
Thanks INK! Just realized I posted this in the wrong forum :O

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 09:37:32 AM »
Thanks INK! Just realized I posted this in the wrong forum :O

np  :salute

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 09:37:38 AM »
I got Skuzzied.

Offline SilverZ06

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 10:34:04 AM »
I'm running 850w in my system and haven't had any problems yet (It's probably overkill).
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153106&Tpk=N82E16817153106

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 10:39:28 AM »
ink is dead on once again. also keep in mind, the video card is going to be a big determination on the power requirements. generally the mid/high end gaming quality nvidia graphics cards require 26-38 amps on the +12v leg, the ati graphics cards have a 400-500 watt minimum requirement.

as long as you are dealing with a mid tower/full tower system case then you have plenty of power supply choices. go with a desktop or mini case of any kind and you won't be able to get a big enough power supply.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 10:45:43 AM »
I'm running 850w in my system and haven't had any problems yet (It's probably overkill).
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153106&Tpk=N82E16817153106

I also have 2 of these that I got to replace (2) PC Power & Cooling PSU's  that I had to send back to PC P&C/OCZ to have repaired or replaced ( 1 was of the original PC P&C  the other was a relabeled OCZ  type )

the Thermaltake TR 2X 850 watt that Silver has linked to is  a single rail - modular  PSU  that I have nothing but praise for, nary a problem on either PC from April or July ( the 2 different build dates )

edit for clarification purposes: I have to give props to the OCZ repair center, less than 3 weeks to fill out and get the RMA# ship them back to OCZ/PC P-C to be diagnosised/fixed then they even called me to ask me if I forgot anything on the comments/problem description, they repaired the old PC P-C  PSU and replaced their OCZ (PC P-C )  version 950 watt PSU with a new one, the original 750watt Silencer Red version was actually my fault I think from when I took the cover off to blow it out with the Air Compressor, I did not lower the psi and had it regulated/set  at 125 psi in which I did not even clean the moisture out of the hose before I began blowing it clean,  reason I think this... is the damn PSU was working great when I took it out to clean it and never fired back up when I re installed it.... and it had worked flawlessly for many years!!!   the OCZ relabeled 950 watt gave me trouble from the initial start up, Challenge helped me decipher my problem because of the ripple I was getting back through my speakers at startup or shutdown, plus the cap that smelt like it was burning the first time I started the PSU up.......  am slamming OCZ relabeled as PC P&C, but my old PC P&C was a beast and now that its fixed is still just as good. they even installed a new fan on it without my asking....  but I would shy away from the new PC P&C relabeled by OCZ, go for Silvertone or is it Seasonic??  I get those 2 confused....... whichever one Skuzzy replaced PC P&C with these days

good luck in your search, hope this helps ----- I would look for a single rail verses multi-rail  on the 12V+  and at least  80+ Bronze certified ( Silver is better  Gold is best, but the higher grade the higher the cost )

TC
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 11:03:34 AM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Online Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 10:46:59 AM »
Check this calculator, it should give you a good starting point. Set the capacitor aging to 30% for extra headroom.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 11:11:35 AM »
Generally speaking, switching power supplies work best, coolest, and provide the cleanest power when under about 80% load.  Just FYI.

TC, Seasonic is who I use today.  They make most of the high end power supplies for everyone else (Thermaltake, Corsair, and a mess of other companies).
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 11:13:12 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 12:23:25 PM »
Generally speaking, switching power supplies work best, coolest, and provide the cleanest power when under about 80% load.  Just FYI.

TC, Seasonic is who I use today.  They make most of the high end power supplies for everyone else (Thermaltake, Corsair, and a mess of other companies).

+1 on the Seasonic.  I've used Seasonic on three systems and all three have been bullet-proof.  On my personal PC I have a Corsair with Seasonic internals with no problems at all.  My G/F's computer has a lower-end Corsair WITHOUT Seasonic internals and she's on her third one now.  The first worked fine but had an ear piercing high pitch noise while the computer was shut down about once a second.  The second had a bad fan (growling) and caused her many BSOD issues.  The third seems to be working just fine.

As far as buying a system.. well I have a difficult time recommending any 'name brand' of PC's.  They are known for using proprietary parts and going cheap on the power supply.  Most of them you can't even install a basic video card without needing to upgrade the PS.  The money you might save by purchasing an HP or a Dell on sale you'll quickly lose once you have to purchase a video card and a power supply.  Also on some PC's just opening them up to do this can void the warranty so make sure you fully understand what you're getting in to.  I can't recommend enough that you either build one yourself of have one custom built.

If you want to try a self build there are many of us here willing to help you through it step by step.  It's really not that difficult.  If you can use a screwdriver you can build a PC.  You can also save a ton of money doing this.

If you want to purchase a custom built one you can contact TILDEATH here or there are many reputable companies out there that will let you build one "virtually" and then they price it out for you.  Then if you buy it they assemble it with parts of your choosing and send it to you.  I'm sure many people here will recommend various places.

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011, 12:59:51 PM »
I would love to build a system myself but wouldn't know where to start. So I save it for the manufacturers :)

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 01:48:52 PM »
I would love to build a system myself but wouldn't know where to start. So I save it for the manufacturers :)

dude, none of use knew till we bought the components and realized that it's not really that difficult.  they you get hooked on it and want to "upgrade" every six months or so.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2011, 02:14:39 PM »
It seems like it would be a fun project. I am embarassed to admit I work in I.T. But am clueless as to how much of this stuff works.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2011, 02:20:36 PM »
make sure you have plenty of advil and tylenol available for your first build, and go with an intel platform, not the amd.

otherwise this  :x becomes this  :headscratch:  :mad:   :confused:  :cry  :furious
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett