Author Topic: P-63 Kingcobra  (Read 3953 times)

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
Re: P-63 Kingcobra
« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2011, 11:54:40 PM »
How is the P-63 any more "unique" than the Ki-43?

well it's like a P-39, but 50-70 mph faster, and climbs better, accelerates better, and it might turn better (lower wing loading), carries two drop tanks, and more bombs.  That's a big difference over a P-39 It will play very differen't.
A Ki-84 will play like a Zeke, only with weaker guns, and a little better turn performance. I could be wrong, but I don't see this plane performing different enough from a zeke to make a big difference in how it matches up in the MA with other planes and missions.

Example: A Zeke is dogfighting a Corsair. Is the fight a lot different if an Oscar is dogfighting a Corsair, from either perspective? The only fight that changes is fighting a Zeke in an Oscar because that's a new match up. imo
Example: A P-39 is dogfighting a 109G6. The fight becomes very different if a P-63 is dogfighting a 109G6. Every fight changes when you swap the P-63 in place of the P-39. again imo.

Not only does the P-63 sets itself apart from a P-39 but it doesn't end up resebling anything else in the game because of its weird gun package, awkward visibility, and who knows what handling quirks, and advantages.

What do you think?  :salute
Who is John Galt?

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #61 on: October 28, 2011, 12:10:07 AM »
The difference between a Ki-43 and A6M would be a bit more than you're giving it, roll rate and such.

P-63 should be VVS colors only, absolutely no American skins for it.  Possibly perked.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #62 on: October 28, 2011, 12:25:56 AM »
The difference between a Ki-43 and A6M would be a bit more than you're giving it, roll rate and such.

P-63 should be VVS colors only, absolutely no American skins for it.  Possibly perked.
If planes are aloud to have training skins, why shouldnt the p63 be aloud to have its American Markings as well?

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #63 on: October 28, 2011, 12:52:15 AM »
If planes are aloud to have training skins, why shouldnt the p63 be aloud to have its American Markings as well?
Planes are not allowed to have non-combat markings.  If you are referring to the orange N1K2-J I would guess that it found itself in combat, something that Axis trainers were prone to late in the war.  I don't believe that US trainers ever risked that.

EDIT:

And yes, this is a vindictive wish on my part.  I want the people begging for an insignificant plane to be added just because it is American to be forced to use a Soviet skin with it.  I know not everybody is begging to have it added because it is American, but by odd coincidence I don't imagine any of those people will mind using a Soviet skin either.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 12:55:31 AM by Karnak »
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #64 on: October 28, 2011, 06:16:45 AM »
Have to admit, though I love the design and performance of the '63, and would like it in the game someday - seeing it only Russian skins is going to be a bit like Favre in a Vikings uniform.   It'll see "not right" on some level.   I have only the US military planners to blame though.   

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #65 on: October 28, 2011, 09:21:17 AM »
Planes are not allowed to have non-combat markings.  If you are referring to the orange N1K2-J I would guess that it found itself in combat, something that Axis trainers were prone to late in the war.  I don't believe that US trainers ever risked that.

EDIT:

And yes, this is a vindictive wish on my part.  I want the people begging for an insignificant plane to be added just because it is American to be forced to use a Soviet skin with it.  I know not everybody is begging to have it added because it is American, but by odd coincidence I don't imagine any of those people will mind using a Soviet skin either.
But, isent the white skin for the f4u a trainer skin as well? at least, thats what i thought people were saying.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #66 on: October 28, 2011, 09:49:35 AM »

I missed the part about possibly perking - what about its performance would warrant perking?

Also, to Vink's comment about the 63's awkward visibility - I find the '39 has the best foward/up view in the game.  I spend a lot of time in lag pursuit, and the find the 39's canopy framing ideal to keep the bandit in viz.   I'm having all kinds of trouble with the 109G6 in this respect.  Dunno if anybody else noticed this.  Also, for some reason I am most confident in the '39 for maneuvering 'down in the weeds' - think it has something to due with the head position and view out of the cockpit, and possibly the great control response.

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #67 on: October 28, 2011, 11:15:46 AM »

P-63 should be VVS colors only, absolutely no American skins for it.  Possibly perked.

Yes we want it because it's American but also because it's fun and unique. Don't leave out the best part! 

Definately VVS only. I don't know why it would be perked though. I see it as behind a K4 for climb and top speed, with an even harder to use hub cannon. Some have effectively made the case for the K4 dropping from 20 ENY to 15 ENY, so I see the P-63 in that range.  :salute

Oboe, The rear visibility on the P-63 changed at least on the A model be exchanging the bullet proof rear glass for plate steel. I don't know if it was changed back for the C-model. The plate maybe tougher to see around.  I agree on the forward and up views, also the P63 cockpit is even more forward of the Wing than the P-39. Nice for looking over the side seeing what's below you without having to roll the plane over.   I love the P-39 handeling because the departure characteristics are very benign. So it flies smoothly at the edge of its flight envelop. But it's still a smallish envelope. I don't know if the P-63 will retain such benign behavior at the limits, even though those limits should be improved over the P-39. I hope so :aok

« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 11:29:35 AM by Vinkman »
Who is John Galt?

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #68 on: October 28, 2011, 11:18:41 AM »
If you are referring to the orange N1K2-J I would guess that it found itself in combat, something that Axis trainers were prone to late in the war.

I don't think that's the case. I think it's a matter of "ooh, colors! I don't care I want it in-game" and sneaking it in under the radar. I've seen examples where training units' aircraft were pushed into combat, and they were repainted to remove the orange.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #69 on: October 28, 2011, 01:23:13 PM »
But, isent the white skin for the f4u a trainer skin as well? at least, thats what i thought people were saying.
No, it is not.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-