Event begins at 10:00pm Eastern in SEA II
All are welcome to attend!
Image by Dux
The Legend Of Y29
"The airfield at Asch Belgium (Y-29) was an advanced landing ground used as the Allies pushed across Europe following the landings of D-Day. The airfield opened on 20th Nov 1944 and was in use until June 1945. It was home to 352th FG, 406th FG and 391th BG.
On January 1st 1945 the Lufftwaffe launched Operation Bodenplatte, an all out attack on the Allied front line airfields. The FW190's and BF109's of JG-11 arrived at Asch just as the 487th FS of the 352nd FG were rolling down the runway; the ensuing battle came to be known as the Legend of Y-29. The pilots of the 487th Fighter Squadron who took off under fire and in the face of overwhelming odds scored 23 kills while suffering only 2 damaged aircraft in the face of 3:1 odds. For their performance the 487th received the only Distinguished Unit Citation given to a fighter squadron in the European theater." -The Wartime Memories Project
Although poor weather conditions set back Operation Bodenplatte, German leaders still opted to continue the attack. This would turn out to be one of the biggest mistakes of the war.
In this snapshot we will recreate the legendary battle of Y29
P-51D - 60%
P-47D-40 - 40%
Field: Roll A68
Objectives: Defend A68 from JG11
1. P-47D-40s may roll at the start of the frame but must stay within visual range of the airfield until A68 flashes.
2. P-51Ds must wait on runway until A68 starts flashing before they can takeoff.
3. Must remain below 5,000 feet until engaged.
4. Allies may not use manned ack.
Bf 109G-14 - 60%
Fw 190A-8 - 40%
Field: Roll A66
Objective: Attack A68 and destroy all valid targets.
1. Valid targets are fuel, ammo, radar, and field ack.
1. Must remain under 5,000 feet until engaged.
2. Fw 190A-8s must take ordinance.
Single Engines Airframes - 10 points.
Ammo Bunker - 5 points
Radar - 5 points
Fuel Bunkers - 5 points
Ack - 1.5 points
1. Terrain - BoB09
2. Icon Range - short
3. Wind - None
4. Time - 08:00 x2
5. Fighter and Bomber Warning Range - 73,920 (about 14 miles)
6. Enemy Collisions - on
7. External view for bombers (F3) - on
8. Visibility - 15 miles
9. Friendly Collisions - off
10. Fuel - 1.0
11. Ack - 0.3
12. Kill Shooter - off
13. Tower Range - 73,920 (for display to aid players, set to match the above setting)
14. Radar - off
This should be a quick one. I suggest a second Furball frame with P47D40s and/or P51D vs. 109G14s.
Ethan "BearKats/Husky01" Heigel
Edited by 68Raptor