Author Topic: RC plane fail  (Read 629 times)

Offline flight17

• Silver Member
Re: RC plane fail
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2012, 03:31:12 PM »
The guy in the white shirt just barely got out of the way.  Plane looks like a total loss too.  What a way to ruin your day.
looks like to me he was definately hit by the right wing in either the leg or arm, i cant tell which... the angle at which the plane is not enough for the wing to have hit the ground, plus it began to climb again and didnt start settling back down until the wing was already being ripped off.

As for Real vs RC... RC is going to be way cheaper. Sure you could get a 20k plane, but if you do, your going to be getting something really high timed or really old. Your going to be paying insurance, maintainence, gas, hangar, landing fees, etc. With an RC your just paying to build it and paying for some gas and parts when need be. I wonder how many people actually have insurance on their models and how much a month it costs.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 03:36:16 PM by flight17 »
119th Riffle Tank Regiment leader -Red Storm Krupp Steel Scenario

Active Member of Air Heritage Inc. http://airheritage.org/

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2012, 05:04:17 PM »
I wonder how many people actually have insurance on their models and how much a month it costs.

I don't know of any insurance that covers the loss of the model.  Only R/C insurance I have seen is liability in case your plane does damage to something.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline xNOVAx

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2012, 05:13:37 PM »
Never understood why those guys don't buy a real plane with that kind of money.

Well you might be assuming they don't already have a real plane? If they have that kind of money to drop on an RC, I'd say they already have the real deal. In the case where they don't have a real plane, then  :headscratch:. Maybe because real planes can cost thousands of dollars / year just to sit in a hangar? dunno

NOVA - Army of Muppets - Inactive

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." -Leonardo da Vinci

Offline flight17

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2012, 05:37:53 PM »
I don't know of any insurance that covers the loss of the model.  Only R/C insurance I have seen is liability in case your plane does damage to something.
I was curious about this too, and before i posted, i serached and one result said that the AMA provided it for "high valued" aircraft... went to the site, but couldnt even find anything on insurance at all... so...
119th Riffle Tank Regiment leader -Red Storm Krupp Steel Scenario

Active Member of Air Heritage Inc. http://airheritage.org/

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2012, 05:58:28 PM »
I don't understand why the pilot set up an approach that put the plane's landing point at exactly where he was standing when he had an entire field to land safely.

He probably didn't.

You need to be fairly close to the landing area so you can aim the airplane to a point in front of you.  If you're too far away depth perception becomes an issue.  Any R/C field I was ever at had the pilots standing right out at the edge of the runway area.

He was probably fine until he overrotated the flare then asymmetric thrust yawed the airplane to the right (right engine isn't running) -- which happened to be right at him and his spotter.
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2012, 06:02:15 PM »
He probably didn't.

You need to be fairly close to the landing area so you can aim the airplane to a point in front of you.  If you're too far away depth perception becomes an issue.  Any R/C field I was ever at had the pilots standing right out at the edge of the runway area.

He was probably fine until he overrotated the flare then asymmetric thrust yawed the airplane to the right (right engine isn't running) -- which happened to be right at him and his spotter.

If you have ever flown a twin engine R/C plane you'll know how extremely difficult they are to control on one engine.  I figure, they had an engine go out.  Pilot chopped throttle to bring it in for a landing.  When the approach went badly and the panic started, he probably gave it full throttle to go around.  That's a normal response to a missed approach with an R/C plane.  But with an engine out, it's a really bad idea.  That instant full throttle created that instant yaw to the right and the following crash.  looks like the wingtip clipped the second guys foot.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder