Author Topic: Icon Shadows  (Read 433 times)

Offline BigR

• Silver Member
Icon Shadows
« on: March 21, 2012, 10:56:28 PM »
Im getting strange shadows behind icons with the latest patch. They seem normal until you move in relation to the icon, and then depending on how fast you move, a shadow appears behind every icon on screen at the time. The harder I move, the bigger the shadow. It is extremely distracting. Anyone else see this happening?

Offline BigR

• Silver Member
Re: Icon Shadows
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 12:08:42 AM »
ok, i totally uninstalled my graphics drivers, and reinstalled the newest one from AMD. Still no nice. I did notice that enemy icons are not doing it. Only friendly icons are causing a ghosting. I changed the color of the icon to see if that was the reason it was doing it while the enemy ones were not, but they still did it. Im very confused now.

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 09:23:26 AM »
gday, can you post a dxdiag?
now posting as SirNuke

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 09:29:40 AM »
ok, i totally uninstalled my graphics drivers, and reinstalled the newest one from AMD. Still no nice. I did notice that enemy icons are not doing it. Only friendly icons are causing a ghosting. I changed the color of the icon to see if that was the reason it was doing it while the enemy ones were not, but they still did it. Im very confused now.

Any chance of seeing a screenshot of this?

Have you tried the different graphic options in "Options->Graphic Details->Advanced" to see if any of them could be causing it?

A DXDIAG output would be helpful.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline BigR

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 11:14:49 AM »
I toggled all the options in advanced with no luck. I then changed my ATI Catalyst Control settings from the defaults to higher quality, but that didn't make any difference. This started with the last patch, and I have no other issues with other games. All my temps are good, and I checked out my PSU with a power supply tester. Everything is nominal. I am at work right now, so I cant give you a DXdiag or screenshot, but when I get home I will.

Another thing I noticed that might be related is that during blackouts, the gradient from light to dark as you enter a full blackout is messed up. It almost looks like its running at a much lower color depth than before. Its not nearly as smooth as it used to be. The only way I can describe it is it's kind of like an old gray Scale monitor when you switch from 256 shades of gray to 16. 

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 10:57:42 PM »
It may have to do with your monitor BigR. I got an Asus VE258Q Monitor about a year ago. If I put the" trace free" setting at its highest I get ghosting around the icons in the game. If I back it off to say 60% it's fine. The icons in the game are the only things I've noticed being affected by this including any other programs I might run. I don't do any other games but AH.

Reading several reviews on Newegg of similar Asus monitors shows this apparently happens. YMMV of course but it's a thought as I had the same issue.
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline BigR

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 11:22:55 PM »
It may have to do with your monitor BigR. I got an Asus VE258Q Monitor about a year ago. If I put the" trace free" setting at its highest I get ghosting around the icons in the game. If I back it off to say 60% it's fine. The icons in the game are the only things I've noticed being affected by this including any other programs I might run. I don't do any other games but AH.

Reading several reviews on Newegg of similar Asus monitors shows this apparently happens. YMMV of course but it's a thought as I had the same issue.

Im not sure what it was. I have been playing all night tonight without any issues. I didnt change anything from when i last touched it last night. I dont get it. Unless its some strange power fluctuations or my graphics card is going out  :eek:

Thanks for the replies guys, I am going to keep an eye on it. Hopefully it doesn't happen again. It was just odd that is occurred right when I got the latest patch.  :salute

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 07:35:08 AM »
Just wanted to add that my ghosting around the icons problem started with the monitor and it happens exactly the same way yours does. The icons look fine if they're in a relatively static position in your view. As soon as they're moving there's a slight ghosting on the trailing side of the icon. Slightly annoying/distracting. It's persisted through several catalyst updates too.

Moving that trace free setting back on the monitor doesn't seem to have any effect on the rest of the game graphically so I just leave it there.
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group