Author Topic: World War II veteran pilot takes to the skies of Aces High  (Read 4638 times)

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: World War II veteran pilot takes to the skies of Aces High
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2012, 04:34:37 AM »
Reverse it to real planes and real machine guns and the vet wins.

Yep AH pilots would get strafed on ground while trying to start the engine for a couple of days :D
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline homersipes

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2012, 06:02:44 AM »
 :aok :aok :aok :salute very cool, in  my job I have met a b17 bombadier, and a pony pilot.  These guys are so cool to talk to, but they are getting few and far between :(

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2012, 06:11:09 AM »
very cool  :cheers:

<<S>> Jimmy
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Offline MarineUS

• Gold Member
      • Imperial Legion
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2012, 10:11:16 PM »
Awesome video!  :aok
 :salute
Like, ya know, when that thing that makes you move, it has pistons and things, When your thingamajigy is providing power, you do not hear other peoples thingamajig when they are providing power.

HiTech

Offline jay

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2012, 10:41:31 PM »
Very awesome
<S>
"He who makes a beast of himself Gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr.Johnson

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2012, 11:35:45 PM »
Fantastic!!  :aok
Okay..Add 2 Country's at once, Australia and France next plane update Add ...CAC Boomerang and the Dewoitine D.520

Offline Dogtown

• Copper Member
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2012, 07:58:28 AM »
Great stuff there ty <S>  Is he going to start playing the game ? Maybe we should all pitch in and set him up with a rig  :aok
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 08:08:13 AM by Dogtown »
Soooo's I'm standing there i got my ......NM

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2012, 08:28:42 AM »
a fighter from AH would smoke a ww2 fighter. :aok

(if they never flew in AH)

we have two things they didn't.......unlimited lives.....1000-10,000 of hours simulating combat.....

Thousands of hours simulating combat....
with other amateurs.

Just saying...
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2012, 10:09:46 AM »
Great Post!!  And great footage also.  The unmistakable sounds of the R2800 are awe inspiring!

It brought chills to my spine once again.  Thanks for Posting!
- The Flying Circus -

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2012, 11:00:01 AM »
:aok :aok :aok :salute very cool, in  my job I have met a b17 bombadier, and a pony pilot.  These guys are so cool to talk to, but they are getting few and far between :(

When ever you get a chance to visit a veteran, be sure to ask a few questions and then be quiet and them talk.  That is all I had to do with both of my grandfathers regarding WWII.  My mother's dad was a pilot in the PTO (see my sig line). My father's dad was a was a courier [jeep jockey] in an arty unit in the ETO, he loved to tell stories of the "dumb Major who almost got me killed ordering me to take a short cuts through unsecured areas".  They appreciated me asking them questions, but there is a line that should not be crossed by those of us who were not there.  If the information or experience is offered then listen up and burn it in to your memory and get it written down.  One specific example of this is my good friend's grandfather was in the 3rd wave on Omaha beach, he was an engineer.  Curt wanted to show him my M1 Garand and see what he did and said.  Upon unsheathing it from the sock his eyes got wide and a huge smile appeared across his face.  He spoke with affection of the rifle.  We heard how he loved the 1903 Springfield in basic training and hated getting these "damned M1's covered in grease" when waiting in line to board a ship for the UK.  They cleaned them all up and learned the basics from the deck of the passenger ship, then fired them in drills once they got to England, etc etc.  The very next thing he said was "It kept me alive while I was in a foxhole with a dead German who was shaking like he was trying to dance out of the foxhole".  Then he back up and said he didnt think it would fire after dragging it through all that sand, but it did.  His grandpa went on for another 10-12 minutes just talking about things and experiences of that day.  His story is much like what we've already seen and read about: lost gear in water, didnt know anyone around him, didnt know where to go, lots of dead and wounded, unbelievable noise, scared senseless, etc.  My friend was amazed that he spoke of anything because all ever told any of the kids or grand kids was that he built bridges or moved stuff out of roadways.

One of the coolest things I have in my possession is a tape that my grandpa (pilot) made for me telling me an over-view of his experiences in WWII.  Hearing the details of his crash, the "ack-ack", the naval fleets, the heat and humidity, flying off course-getting lost-landing on 2 engines, etc, etc.  I hear is voice today and I am still amazed.  Oh... and btw... I lost him 10 years ago today.   :salute         
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2012, 12:01:58 PM »
 :salute
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2012, 01:13:25 PM »
Thousands of hours simulating combat....
with other amateurs.

Just saying...

I disagree.....yes most of the MA are not very good fighters....but there are some killers that are great at dog fighting, these guys will push you....and are far better at dog fighting then most ww2 sticks....because of the time they have simulating dog fighting.....again though I realize that we don't have to worry about dieing(well some of us dont the ones that do....certainly don't push themselves or their planes)

I am not taking anything from the pilots that did it for real....I respect them greatly.....

this game will teach you how to fly and fight....I know....... I never flew a plane in my life before.....I jumped into a Decathlon and flew it like I was doing it for years quite easily......the guy that took me up, was shocked that I never flew a plane.....

Offline twitchy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2012, 12:00:04 AM »
these guys will push you....and are far better at dog fighting then most ww2 sticks....this game will teach you how to fly and fight

Wow Ink, you really are a tard. This is a video game, it's take some real idiocy to compare yourself to a real pilot from an armchair, not to mention unmitigated gall. Gross. Have some respect.
Founder & CO
Pigs on the Wing
Oinking Bases since 2000 AD

Offline Daddkev

• Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2012, 12:05:59 AM »
 :huh :huh :huh Thats a funny avatar !  :rofl :rofl :rofl
God Bless America
Go tell Momm, im flying! and make me a sandwich !
EvilKev

2012 68KO Cup 1st Place finisher

Offline phatzo

• Gold Member
      • No Crying
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2012, 12:08:24 AM »
Absolutely fantastic.

I would like to suggest that we have a voluntary fund that would pay the subscription of any WW2 veteran that would like to join us in this game we all love.

I volunteer $5 per month ad infinitum if Hitech could see his way to make this happen.  Anyone else with me?  Dale, please ?
I'd pay for a month each year.
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.