Author Topic: Panzer tanks dug out of the ground in Bulgaria.  (Read 3224 times)

Offline RicOShay

• Zinc Member
Panzer tanks dug out of the ground in Bulgaria.
« on: October 14, 2012, 06:25:29 PM »
  Buried in the ground facing the border of Turkey these panzers were used as bunkers and gun emplacements in case of a war with NATO.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AvM6-EE2Ww&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C11kmUp2jDM&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lR8CjthVep0&feature=related
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 06:35:49 PM by RicOShay »

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
Re: Panzer tanks dug out of the ground in Bulgaria.
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 07:26:58 PM »
Wow.  I bet there are places like that all over Europe, be it Germans or Soviets that dug in out dated tank chassis in to the countryside to be used as defensive positions. 

I hope to see people stepping forward to help restore as many of them as possible.    :aok
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline RngFndr

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 08:05:44 PM »
That was Really Cool..  :aok

I knew the Soviet Union used buried JS2 and 3 and T10s as bunkers on the Chinese Border..
I believe some are still in use.. But these are Super Cool..

Notice that yard full of Pnzr 3 and 4's.. SWEET!

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 10:42:30 AM »
Amazing
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 08:45:49 PM »
There were also some German tanks buried in the Middle East that were also used as pill boxes.  The reasoning was also different though as the locals could not maintain the equipment.  Most have been destroyed, but several were salvaged and are awaiting returns to the free world for restoration.
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 09:31:56 PM »
     They have one of those Mk IVs at the American Tank Museum in Danville, VA.  Excellent exterior condition, no idea what the
interior looks like.  The story appears to be captured at the factory by the Russians.  Given to the Hungarians then sold to the Syrians
     Captured by the Israelis, swapped for a M3 Stuart for the Israeli tank museum.  Evidently they were getting ready to make a trade
for another PzKw IV when the Isrealis figure out the panzer was alot more valuable that the Stuart  :rofl

« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 09:40:51 PM by Rino »
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 11:51:27 AM »
The Bulgarian wrecks were dug out some time ago and i think have made their way to museums and collectors already.  The former Soviet Union seems to turn up quite a few still recovered from lakes and bogs.  I know there is a restored Stug III that came out of the cargo hold of a shipwreck in the Baltic too.  I believe that one runs.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline R 105

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 10:05:52 AM »
 I am always happy to see any WWII equipment recovered and restored. I see they have found a ME-109 in a lake lately and a Panther tank in a river some years ago.