Author Topic: New Computer Help?  (Read 475 times)

Offline outbreak

• Nickel Member
New Computer Help?
« on: February 02, 2013, 12:01:15 PM »
Well its that time of year again, Tax time, And with that time of year I am allowing myself to splurge on unnessacary things :). So I want to build a computer, Budget is $2,100 Nothing over, Under is fine!

What I am looking for is Ideas, I have already priced a System as follows and would love some expert opinions!

240GB SSD
2TB HD
AMD FX-8350 CPU
Radeon HD 7850 Core Edition x 2
1000 Watt PSU Crossfire Ready
32GB DDR3 2133mhz
Socket AM3+ Mobo
Give or take other random stuff (Sound Card, Etc.)

That is just a general idea of what I have come up with, With Monitor and all that other good crap it came out to $2,075 Shipped.

So please let me know what you think I should change/Not Change! (btw will be using this for games such as BF3 as well)

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Re: New Computer Help?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 12:18:39 PM »
I am waiting to upgrade my PC when the new Intel Socket to be released and make my decision then.

I am assuming either Cyberpower or iBuypower?    You can knock about $300 or so off by building it yourself. 

I would go i7, if you are dropping that much coin.   

« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 12:26:13 PM by Masherbrum »
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline outbreak

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 04:42:39 PM »
After further reviews and much speculation, I have come to the conclusion that the I5-3570k is a better choice as this is going to be a strict gaming pc. Here is the latest adjustments in my build. Still wanting Feedback on If I should go ahead with this setup or modify it. Thanks!

http://www.scribd.com/doc/123534801/Computer-Build-March-2013

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 05:05:02 PM »
1000W PSU? Bit overkill for that system. ~750w will work perfectly, I'd also suggest (as will most) using SeaSonic brand, or Corsair.
Crossfire 7850s seems kinda pointless. A single 7970 will do the same job for the same price; using This One myself.
32GB seems overkill as well, but I don't know what you plan to do with the system so ya may want it!  :)
Just to save a few pennies, Arctic Silver Thermal Paste/Grease is normally cheaper and works great.

A lot of the rest is purely personal choice though.
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 05:18:02 PM »
Like Karaya said, be aware there is a new Intel Platform/CPU coming out soon, as in the next 2 quarters or so.  If you can hold off, I would wait and see how the bang/$ is with those.  They aren't going to be using the 2011/x79 apparently, so people who built new systems in the last few months like me are going to be SOL, if they decide to push the "high end" cpu's into the new platform.  Of course, this is all rumor until they announce it officially, but it's reliable rumor from all the top hardware sites.

Now that said, you've already figured out on your own that the 3570k will be a far better bang/$ than any AMD system you can currently build, particularly if you overclock it (almost a must with the 3570 in order to exploit said band for buck).  Get yourself a decent quality MB, the 3570, a 7970 or a nvidia 670 card for around 400$, and stick with your 2TB and 240SSD plan, and you'll be good to go for most every game out there for quite a little while.  All that, and have plenty of that 2100$ left over.  I know MACE who flies FSO with the Golden Gryphons fairly recently posted about his 3570 build, you can search for that here if you want more info about that CPU and platform.  Just make sure you get the "k" CPU is all.  Oh ya, the RAM you mentioned in the OP is way overkill for this type of platform/cpu.  I'm not saying don't get 32 gigs, just that you can easily get by with 16, but the 2133 mhz stuff is far overkill and overprice for this type of build IMO.  Get some decent corsair memory, it shouldn't cost you much more than 100$ or so for the 16 gig, and maybe 180 or 200 for 32, but don't bother with the 2133 stuff.  I built a 3930 system a couple months ago with the most expensive MB you can get and didn't get the 2133 ram, and it still overclocks to 4.6 easily with decent cooling.  I guess that's my last point.  Buy a really good cooler, I'm not super crazy about the corsair liquid ones, but you can get one that will work great with the 3570 for about 120$ or less, or a really good air cooler for 75 or less.  Don't skimp out on the cooling, as you'll need it in order to o/c that little 3570 to where it shines.  The previous poster's advice about PSU would be wise to listen to as well.  

edit: http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/8_core_sandybridge_e_and_6_12_core_ivybridge_e_in_2013.html

They are back to saying that the new Ivy Bridge E 8 core CPU's WILL in fact support the x79 socket 2011 platform.  This makes me very happy in the pants if true, as I built a couple  of 3820's for family specifically because we planned to upgrade them to these new I7 4xxx chips.  So, as I said, consider this if you plan on building soon, if you can hold on just a little bit, going with the x79 platform and one of these new 8 cores MAY be a better bang/$ solution.  We'll just have to wait and see.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 05:26:10 PM by Gman »

Offline outbreak

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 06:51:05 PM »
Recomendation on the PSU taken, Figured 750-800watt would work but with dual 7850s wanted to be safe, The reason I am going with the 2 7850's is that in the long run I think they will give me better performance than a single 7970 would. I could be wrong but Maybe I will run these for a few months and then pickup a 7970 and compare them. In Regards to RAM, I will be utilizing my computer for a few non gaming things that just so happen  to love the taste of RAM, So thats why I opted for the 32gb. In regards to the 2133mhz, Was just throwing a half bellybutton list of components together for a general idea, More then likely will get 32gb of 1600mhz. I did opt for Air cooling hence the $70 cooler on the parts list, Reviews are making it out to be a very good air cooler.

As far as the release of some intel processors down the road, I am going to just go ahead and stick with the 3570k for now, If and when something new comes out that grabs my attention, I might consider upgrading to it.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 02:45:22 AM »
Recomendation on the PSU taken, Figured 750-800watt would work but with dual 7850s wanted to be safe, The reason I am going with the 2 7850's is that in the long run I think they will give me better performance than a single 7970 would. I could be wrong but Maybe I will run these for a few months and then pickup a 7970 and compare them. In Regards to RAM, I will be utilizing my computer for a few non gaming things that just so happen  to love the taste of RAM, So thats why I opted for the 32gb. In regards to the 2133mhz, Was just throwing a half bellybutton list of components together for a general idea, More then likely will get 32gb of 1600mhz. I did opt for Air cooling hence the $70 cooler on the parts list, Reviews are making it out to be a very good air cooler.

As far as the release of some intel processors down the road, I am going to just go ahead and stick with the 3570k for now, If and when something new comes out that grabs my attention, I might consider upgrading to it.

Build your PC around either of them.    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151087 or this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151102
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline outbreak

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 04:55:24 PM »
Thats actually the PSU I decided to go with, I actually saved $300 by using new egg to make a list, So now its just to wait for them tax masters to hurry up so I can feel empowered =]. Been a long while since I have flown in AH2 and cant wait to get back into it

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 05:32:45 PM »
As for the 2x 7850s vs 1x 7970, I can't comment on the performance, but I recall it being said it's normally best to get the single most powerful GPU you feel you can afford. SLI/CrossX (have heard anyways) can have more issues in general then a single GPU, but I could be plain out remembering wrong!
I know that a friend uses SLI GTX 580s and it just barely beats my single 7970 in terms of performance. Just going off comparison websites the 580 and 7850 show as almost equal, if it's true that may be worth noting.
Should it come to it, having the 3gb VRAM is quite nice too. I use ~1400mb of it if I turn everything to absolute max in AH (mind you my FPS dies doing that, due in large from my CPU), and that's just sitting on the runway offline! :O  That and she overclocks oh so nicely.
Just a note you may wish to know if it helps.

+1 for those PSU's as well. Due to all the recommendations from here I got a SeaSonic X750 when my old OCZ blew up last year and have no issues at all with it.
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 03:30:08 PM »
Get a single card, if you feel you need two, later on you can just buy another one.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline dhaus

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2013, 07:41:41 PM »
Two pieces of advice when researching my build were 1) SeaSonic for power supply - you can check on the net to see if a Corsair or other PSU is actually made by SeaSonic.  Your budget should allow a modular psu as well.  This is the only component I can recall skuzzy actually recommending a mftr for, and he states that SeaSonic makes the best - for now.  2) Get to a microcenter, if you possibly can.  I bought my motherboard (Asrock Extreme4) and CPU (i5 3570K) in store and saved $90 off of newegg's price on the combo.  I also bought my case - HAF912 in store there and saved $20 off Newegg's price.  Last, when researching video cards, Debrody pointed me to AMD as currently being the best bang for the buck in my price range, which was 200 -250.  You may be able to spend more, so ymmv.  Also, the general advice on the net to all wanting to use crossfire or SLI was the same as above - get the single card which is the best you can afford.  Running dual cards can be problematic and two lower end cards may not equal one high end card.  I don't have anything high end in my build (although it beats anything I've ever had from Dell for similar price) so I can't say this is accurate from personal experience.