Author Topic: New GPU Help  (Read 610 times)

Offline RedBull1

• Gold Member
New GPU Help
« on: February 04, 2013, 04:31:58 PM »
Just put in a new ATI 7770, but I believe my system is using the built in/onboard graphics card rather than the 7770...How do I fix this? o_o thx  :salute
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 04:54:04 PM by RedBull1 »
"There is absolutely no point discussing anything on the BBS, it's mostly populated by people who are right about everything, no one listens and everyone is just talking. People will argue over the shape of an egg." -Anonymous

Offline cattb

• Silver Member
Re: New GPU Help
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 04:55:31 PM »
goto your bios
:Salute Easy8 EEK GUS Betty

Offline RedBull1

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 05:01:54 PM »
I don't know what to do in BIOS  :cry

I went to chipset and just saw big words and number/letter combinations that hurt my brain :cry
"There is absolutely no point discussing anything on the BBS, it's mostly populated by people who are right about everything, no one listens and everyone is just talking. People will argue over the shape of an egg." -Anonymous

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 05:03:43 PM »
I don't know what to do in BIOS  :cry

I went to chipset and just saw big words and number/letter combinations that hurt my brain :cry

Plug your monitor to your new card instead of the built in slot. Then change the bios setting 'init display first' or whatever it's called in your BIOS to PCI-E. Sometimes it's even possible to totally disable the built in GPU.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline RedBull1

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 05:13:21 PM »
Plug your monitor to your new card instead of the built in slot. Then change the bios setting 'init display first' or whatever it's called in your BIOS to PCI-E. Sometimes it's even possible to totally disable the built in GPU.
I go into my BIOS and only see an advanced tab with chipset under it, under chipset there's northbridge (or something like that) and oboard...Neither or which show anything close to that o_o I...am...so...confused

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 05:13:41 PM »
When the windows logo appear, hit F12 (most PCs use F12, yours might be different). A menu should appear, go to settings/display (or find something similar to that), then change the settings so that it uses the dedicated GPU. Every bios is different but they all should have similar options like the ones I mentioned. And, like Ripley said, make sure your monitor is connected to the 7770 itself, not the onboard.

EDIT: I'm on Vent, hop on.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 05:15:24 PM by titanic3 »

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline RedBull1

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 05:23:51 PM »
I ... assume it is now working ??? All I did was install the drivers and the windows rating for the Graphics Card went from 1.0 and unkown to AMD Radeon Graphics Processor and a 7.6 rating ... So I assume it worked, all I needed was the drivers.....HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUURP a Derp

Thanks guys  :cheers: :salute

PS: 1 issue, it says "Approx. total memory: 746 MB' But it's a 1GB card ... ???
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 05:26:11 PM by RedBull1 »

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 05:42:52 PM »
It's fine. 1GB is the limit. Anything above that means you'll start seeing errors/crashes. Now go and buy BF3.  :x

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 09:02:02 AM »
<snip>
PS: 1 issue, it says "Approx. total memory: 746 MB' But it's a 1GB card ... ???

Windows 7/8 reserve video memory for the desktop.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 10:03:43 AM »
To make you understand what happened, I think this is what you saw:

You installed the new card and attached your monitor into it. You booted fine, but the picture seemed to be garbled and the icons huge. Or maybe not, Windows might automatically have set the resolution to somewhat more readable. Nevertheless, you had not installed any drivers for the new card, so Windows uses generic vga drivers instead. And they really don't get the most out of your card, believe me! They are built so that you can't break your system with too tight settings. Installing the drivers gives Windows the information about what it really can do with the new card. So, as you noticed, installing hardware is not just putting a component into a right slot. Correct drivers are equally important. Like, it sure would be nice to sit in a Corvette, but it won't take you anywhere without fuel.  :joystick:
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline RedBull1

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2013, 02:13:57 PM »
Windows 7/8 reserve video memory for the desktop.
To make you understand what happened, I think this is what you saw:

You installed the new card and attached your monitor into it. You booted fine, but the picture seemed to be garbled and the icons huge. Or maybe not, Windows might automatically have set the resolution to somewhat more readable. Nevertheless, you had not installed any drivers for the new card, so Windows uses generic vga drivers instead. And they really don't get the most out of your card, believe me! They are built so that you can't break your system with too tight settings. Installing the drivers gives Windows the information about what it really can do with the new card. So, as you noticed, installing hardware is not just putting a component into a right slot. Correct drivers are equally important. Like, it sure would be nice to sit in a Corvette, but it won't take you anywhere without fuel.  :joystick:
Very informative, and spot on biz! Thanks a lot guys!

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 01:45:18 AM »
Your lucky it was not an Nvidia. They have completely boggled the installation routines and leave old bits of drivers laying around, plus there is always the dange of someone going into device manager to update or uninstall.

Both AMD and Nvidia need to clean up their act with drivers.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.