Author Topic: Saitek X52 fans! What settings/buttons do you use on your X52?  (Read 421 times)

Offline wiskyfog

• Copper Member
Saitek X52 fans! What settings/buttons do you use on your X52?
« on: February 02, 2013, 10:32:10 PM »
What functins do you have assigned to your throttle/stick setup? like the knob on the joystick right side that turns different colors...
The Alchemists-- "Always brewin up sumptin"

Offline cattb

• Silver Member
Re: Saitek X52 fans! What settings/buttons do you use on your X52?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 12:37:45 AM »
I personally dont use the knob, but you can for different setups. I think I did at one time, 1 for flight the other for GV.

Other then the knob,I try to set all that I can on the stick so I dont have to use the keyboard as little as possible in a fight.
:Salute Easy8 EEK GUS Betty

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 08:57:04 AM »
I have done the same thing Cattb did, however there are several people here on the forum that have utilized the Saitek software to setup their button selection. From what they have said, it is very flexible. You'll have to do a search to locate the thread though. :cheers:
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 10:13:46 AM »
I think the knob on the right is only useful with the profiling software, but I could be wrong.

What I use the knob on the right for is to have different modes for different occasions.  I fly pretty much exclusively, so how I've used it is, on mode 1 stage 1 of the trigger is fire MG's, stage 2 is fire all.  On mode 2, stage 1 of the trigger is fire cannons, stage 2 is fire all.  I use that one pretty much just for the 109K4 to use my taters/guns efficiently.  On mode 3, stage 1 of the trigger is fire all.  I use it for flying bombers.

As far as the rest of the controls, I have just about everything mapped to the stick I need to fly.  In the software you can set it up so a button can initiate a 'shift state', which basically means if I hold it down, it allows me to map a second function to all the other buttons/switches to do something different.  So for example, I have trims mapped to the left hat on the stick.  If I hold down one of the buttons on the throttle, the directions on that hat become other things I use a lot but don't need to get to that quickly under pressure, like gear, dive flaps, autoclimb, and fuel tank switch.

The profiling software is extremely flexible.  I've heard of people that have problems with it crashing, but it's never once skipped a beat with me.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline dhaus

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 06:39:43 PM »
I use the knob on the right for different modes through the saitek programming software.  Mode 1 is fighters, Mode 2 is vehicles and Mode 3 is bombers with bombsite, calibration, and the F3 view set up on the slider.  I also use the pinky switch for autopilot level and climb set in Mode 3.  About the only thing I use the keyboard for is to set salvo and type messages.  I even use the toggle switches on the stick base to move to the various positions in bombers/vehicles and the rpms set to the one of the toggle switches in Mode 1.  I really like the x52.  Of course, I'm not very good in the game, so that may not be a good recommendation!  Been using the same stick for over 4 years now on a powered usb hub.

Offline cattb

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 10:56:26 PM »
Now thinking about it, I did at 1 time have a setup for bomber. Its the bombsite zoom. The bombsite zoom does not work correctly from the joystick. I had it setup where the zoom was on the keyboard. Otherwise I use the key z on keyboard, press on take off then have field of view (I think) on stick so I can zoom in flight or a GV.
Throttle use slider for rpm, otherwise on throttle I have check six,WEP, second set of flap controls (for corsair), up view, damage report. I ccan't think of the rest. DOn't hardly play anymore. I would have to turn on game and go into flight then it would come back to me.
:Salute Easy8 EEK GUS Betty